Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lacquer / paint job getting worse and worse

Matt Wright

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Hi all

Another question. I don't know what it is with the maroon trucks, but the lacquer started coming off in spots on the front left wing a few months ago. Since then it seems to have spread like a virus to the bonnet and drivers wing mirror?! I now have almost saucer sized missing lacquer spots on the bonnet.

Any ideas as to how best to fix this - or would it be time and money better spent to fix up all body rust spots and do a full respray once and for all? I'm cautious about the spend given the trucks age but I do plan on keeping it for a long time, and the work should add to it's aesthetics (if heaven forbid it was ever for sale). From what I'm told, a respray is around £600. Does that sound reasonable?

Is it possible / advisable to spray specific panels?
Is it a "profressionals only job" (given that it's asthetics)?
Can I just do the lacquer?
All research points to respray..
Any magic fixes or it is the long hard way..

paint 1.jpg

paint 2.jpg

paint3.jpg

Send it to Hein Burnett at Burnco in Durbanville for a bit of quality TLC - you won't regret it :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That happens to every cruiser here, is accelerated because of the heat. Looks like you decided to do something about it early enough that the paint isn't yet effected. No real need for a full respray, they should be able to just redo the clear coat. Mine was too far gone and got a full respray :-(
Regards,
Mark

Thanks for the heads up Mark. I didn't know they could just do that. Holding thumbs :)

Err, all except that it was doing that here in the UK before you left Matt.:think::think::think:

Is the sun REALLY that strong in SA?

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nope, I think it might make it worse over time but in my case its just the lacquer clean falling off. I'll see what the paint guys say. It's a cost based decision. I'll let you know for interest. Perhaps they do maroon sprays and you can stick with your current truck ;)

I would be looking for a full external respray.
Same colour, so all the door insides remain the same.

I think patching it would just be a waste of time.

Your planning on keeping it, so just spend the required, and bring it back to looking great again.

Gra.

Sorry, to clarify I wasn't saying to patch it. Just redo the clear coat on the complete 'panels' (roof, hood (bonnet) etc) that are affected or redo the clear coat over the whole truck for preventative measures. As you say talk to the paint shop and get their opinion.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:
NO NO NO & NO you can NOT just re-laquer or clear coat, it will look awful & patchy, the base coat which has been exposed to the sun & other elements will have faded & discolored these area's. you will not need to repaint the whole vehicle but what happens is you or whoever paints the car will blend the paint into the next adjoining panel but not paint the whole panel but you do lacquer the whole panel, never ever paint edge to edge of panels as this will clearly show any variants in paint color. trust me i do know what I'm talking about here, go & see a good body shop but i don't mean a big main agent one, they will gladly relieve you of your hard earned, see a small shop on an industrial estate run by a one/two man band & look at some of their other work.

Wow I need to type lots more in my original reply. I was meaning that the whole panel would need all the clear coat redone, ie that panel would have to be taken back to the paint, polished and then the clear coat done. You would also probably need to give the rest of the car a polish so that it all comes back to the same color. At the end you would have original paint with a clear coat over it, right? So no 'blending' needed because you are not adding any paint. If when preparing/polishing you go through the paint then obviously you would need to repaint that panel.

Just my opinion - talk to a paint shop though for sure if it isn't something you can do yourself.

explained without shouting too... :icon-wink:

Regards,
Mark

Sorry mark but it will need painting ( basecoat ) you can't polish the original paint then clearcoat it, deffo go & talk to a bodyshop.

My bonnet is also starting to go, it is also Maroon :doh:I'm considering getting a small roll of carbon fiber wrap to cover it.... I guess if it goes terribly wrong I can always peel it off and then get it painted.

Paul, there is only one way to fix it as i said above, there's no quick fix I'm afraid.

X2 on Joinerman's comments. Cutting/polishing the existing paintwork then re-laquering will look rubbish. Yes, you will have a shiny truck but it will look like a patchwork quilt. I also have the Maroon colour but thankfully the clearcoat looks fine. God, I really HATE doing bodywork, so much faffing about to get a decent finish and even then it can all go tits up. Take JM's advice and get a 'pro' to look at it. JMO

Soon as its back on the road she's going in.. In the process of getting quotes. Always starts easy, then they start to find things that need fixing like rust and the $ signs start

Aesthetics, such a pain! I'd rather change the BEB's!

Back