Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser 80 Series Main Beam Head Lights Stopped Working

Leopard

Country Flag
uk
Hi Folks!

The main beam in my 1994 80 series stopped working recently. I still have dipped beam, but as soon as I switch to the main beam (using the lever next to the steering wheel), all headlights turn off and I only have sidelights.

From the research I've done, I understand this is a fairly common issue with the 80 series and is generally caused by the relays (see pictures below for reference).

I've trawled the internet to try to buy replacement relays, but have come unstuck.

So...my questions are:
  1. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you resolve? I did a quick search here on this forum but didn't find any threads (although I may not have searched thoroughly enough).
  2. Does anyone have any ideas of where I could source new relays in the UK?
  3. If not new, do you know a good source of reconditioned relays?
Thanks in advance for any input!

IMG_0080.jpeg
IMG_0081.jpeg

The red relay sends power to the dimmer relay, so its that one thats,busted. New ones come from Toyota.

Got mine from Toyota. They just need the reg number. The sockets were burnt as I cleaned them and also twisted the spades on the new relays 10 degrees to give them a forced in contact.

The red relay sends power to the dimmer relay, so its that one thats,busted. New ones come from Toyota.

I read this as it is the red one that is broken so for anyone else that suffers the same issue as above, it is the black Dimmer relay that is most likely broken and not the red one. It was only whilst looking at the terminal numbers on the wiring diagram (after replacing the red relay which is also available from Toyota) that I realised the error of my ways.

Hi Leopard,

I have had this and got the lights working by removing the cover of the relay and cleaning the relay contacts inside.
Toyota sell the relays and I think the last one a bought was around £40.

hi i have just read your posts would that be the same for mine i have some light issues when i pull the turn stick back my lights come on not sure if it is main beam or low beam if i put the lights on the same lights come on and if i pull the stick back when the lights are on nothing seems to happen just the lights stay and the blue light on the dash only comes on rarely . i was thinking it was the turn stick itself? Many thanks for your help anyone

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi fixed mine it was the dimmer relay , they are used in other toyota makes and lexus thats were i got mine from ebay £18 for a number of different ones there is a test to do on the relay with a multimeter i thought it could the switch gear but i tested that first and that was fine and the relay tested bad

As mentioned this is a very common problem and replacement relays is a short term solution. As the wiring ages (or higher wattage bulbs are used) the relays heat up, both the red and black eventually melt the sockets. One solution is to unclip the relays sockets and fit heavier relays and sockets, however this will not help the headlight brightness which also diminishes over time. A long term fix to cure both issues it have the OE relays power another set of heavy relays that is powered from the connections that go to the bulbs themselves, then power from the battery to the new relays and then direct to the bulbs. The OE relays now see minimal load at the contacts and will last forever, and the stock headlights are brighter and in fact this modification allows the use of higher wattage bulbs.

Stay safe

Regards

Dave

Back