Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser GXR Model 2001 - 2nd Gear Shifting Delay when cold

sherqa

Land Cruiser GXR Model 2001, Automatic Transmission A442F, While Transmission is Cold it Shifting from 2nd to 3rd Gear the RPM rise as it is neutral and after a few seconds the gear shift to 3rd gear. After driving about 2 to 3 km then shift normally.

Mechanic told me need to replace clutches, Please advise

Hi, I don't think it's the clutch that needs to be changed. But suspect your oil needs to be change instead. Or the grade maybe incorrect.

Does your LC have noticeable lost of power? If no, I don't think it's the clutch. Try changing to the correct oil instead as it's faster to check if it's the oil rather than soaking a huge sun for repair of gearbox.

Hi PYLC,

Thanks for your reply, There is no power loss and also I changed the oil and filter with the correct oil from TOYOTA brand but the same problem exists, I inspected the Solenoid Switches the O Rings looks to be flatted, I ordered O rings from the company and they told it will be available within 25 days, I think some issue with the Solenoid Switch. I would like to ask if all the 4 solenoids are the same voltage, so I can try to change the places and see if any changes.

Hi, I don't think it's the clutch that needs to be changed. But suspect your oil needs to be change instead. Or the grade maybe incorrect.

Does your LC have noticeable lost of power? If no, I don't think it's the clutch. Try changing to the correct oil instead as it's faster to check if it's the oil rather than soaking a huge sun for repair of gearbox.
Hi PYLC,

Thanks for your reply, There is no power loss and also I changed the oil and filter with the correct oil from TOYOTA brand but the same problem exists, I inspected the Solenoid Switches the O Rings looks to be flatted, I ordered O rings from the company and they told it will be available within 25 days, I think some issue with the Solenoid Switch. I would like to ask if all the 4 solenoids are the same voltage, so I can try to change the places and see if any changes.

Dear Sherpa,
It's confirmed that since oil have just been changed to the Original Toyota gear oil, your problem is the "O" rings that's needs to be replaced. I'm confirming these is because you've told me that oil have been changed.
The reason for the delay after immediate starting in the delay in changing gear for the first 2-3 km is due to the gearbox and oil still in COLD condition. But when.It's been run for more then 2-3 km, looks like the O rings have been worn and lost of elasticity. But when it gets HOTTER, the O rings, expanded to give a better sealing and this easier change of 2nd to 3rd. Hope it can help you with your problem. I'm from Malaysia and we do not have access to many measuring requirements as I repair the LC with the help of some mechanic in the evening after they have finished their work in the regular full time job.

Dear PYLC,

Thanks a lot for confirming about the O rings, I am waiting for the O Rings from Toyota and will replace them my self and hope this solve the problem.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back