Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser lovei n Northern Cali

Joni T Warren

Country Flag
united_states
I'm Joni from cali tucked up in the trees. I have a 1992 Toyota Land cruiser I am starting an engine rebuild or replacement project. Recently my 15 year old son purchased (with help) a 1976 land cruiser as well. His needs mostly body work while mine needs engine work. We are excited about our projects! I LOVE my Yota and miss it So much. Mobbing to the river with my dogs and kids was pretty hard on the van this summer. I'm hoping to get some advice and parts connections here. The first step is deciding to keep my straight 6 or go for a bigger easier to aquire engine. It would be ideal to find the same motor to replace it so I could rebuild the original to have as a spare. Missing wheeling in the rain!!!

Hi Joni,

Welcome.

Tell us more about the cruisers and we should, between us all, be able to point you in the right direction for parts etc.
Oh yes and photos please, we all love photos!

Regards,

Hi Joni,

Welcome.

Tell us more about the cruisers and we should, between us all, be able to point you in the right direction for parts etc.
Oh yes and photos please, we all love photos!

Regards,
Thank you! I will get some pictures posted when this rain let's up. We have our old guy covered up in this weather. My son, Deegan, is considering moving to a soft top as he rebuilds. We started with new fuel lines and tanks in his. Just need to put the main tank back in for it to run. I can't help wanting to keep my straight six! People stop by and make offers for the cruisers often. I remember when my 92 was one of the few in this town. Any advice on products to keep the door seals supple and not cracked? Im not quite familiar with posting on a forum so forgive my inexperience please! Have a great day and thanks again.

Hi and welcome love the old cruiser.
Thank you! We will put some pictures up after the rain let's up a bit. We can't wait to begin restoration work on the 76, our old guy, and I'll probably get an engine for the 92 after taxes ;)
I can't wait to say, oh yeah I rebuilt her, me a woman ♡♡♡♡ then I'll be able to keep her healthy and running for good. My kids live our gal, the 92, we have had great adventures and laughs. Have a lovely day!

Hi Joni,

We use 'Sun-of-a-Gun' on our rubbers and seals. It seems to work and we live in a warm/hot (in European terms) climate but I have no idea whether it is available in the US.
We only have a soft top but I noticed recently that sor.com make replica roof and hood bars but they are not cheap but their stuff is usually very good and they are in California.
I assume Deegan's truck has a 2F petrol whereas most of the European ones are diesel.

Regards,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Joni,

We use 'Sun-of-a-Gun' on our rubbers and seals. It seems to work and we live in a warm/hot (in European terms) climate but I have no idea whether it is available in the US.
We only have a soft top but I noticed recently that sor.com make replica roof and hood bars but they are not cheap but their stuff is usually very good and they are in California.
I assume Deegan's truck has a 2F petrol whereas most of the European ones are diesel.

Regards,
Thank you. I'll look for the product you suggested. Yes his is gas. He wanted one so badly! We had driven all around and looked for an older cruiser for a few years. When I saw it I thought it was a jeep tucked back off the road a little. When I got out and looked it was exactly what he had wanted! Luckily the owner alowed us to make payments over the summer. I'm so thankful and blessed! I hope investing in, and working on, his vehicle becomes a standard for his life. Our community is hard on teens, maybe the world is at this point, so any opportunities I can give him at a life of self discipline and good work ethic are seen as blessing in my eyes. Thanks again for the info. Lol sorry if tmi! We are so excited we just got the Ole guy home last week :)

Hi Joni, welcome to the forum!

Without photos, and in your location, can we presume the '92 is a petrol 80 Series 4.5 lt (auto)?

I like your attitude to spannering, it's not too common amongst the women, and makes a refreshing change.

Depending on what's wrong with engine, you'd be better off trying to fix it, or getting a swap-out with the same engine.

Changing to another type of engine gets very complicated, with different gearbox mating conversion plates and wiring, la la la.

Too much hassle :icon-rolleyes:

Let us have some photos and an idea of what's wrong, and I'm sure there'll be some very good advice coming your way... :thumbup:

:text-welcomeconfet:
Welcome Joni (I've stopped calling you Johnny in my mind now d'oh!). Great to have another Gal on here that's happy to wield the spanners and applaud getting your son the 40 series. He is one lucky lad!:text-bravo:

As has been said, we need pics of your trucks (and yourself if you like), we love pics here.
And BTW, you're doing just fine on the forum, it is a little different but you'll get used to it. We're a friendly bunch on here :romance-grouphug: and you've found the right place for help and advice a plenty.

Great to have you here. Best wishes.
Richard

:text-welcomeconfet:
Welcome Joni (I've stopped calling you Johnny in my mind now d'oh!). Great to have another Gal on here that's happy to wield the spanners and applaud getting your son the 40 series. He is one lucky lad!:text-bravo:

As has been said, we need pics of your trucks (and yourself if you like), we love pics here.
And BTW, you're doing just fine on the forum, it is a little different but you'll get used to it. We're a friendly bunch on here :romance-grouphug: and you've found the right place for help and advice a plenty.

Great to have you here. Best wishes.
Richard
Lol. It is said Johhny! I have a question.... I've read that the straight 6 is the easiest swapped for the v6. If I were to swap for the v6 would I have to adapt the transfer case still? And would it be hard to put a straight 6 back in?

Joni,
What is wrong with the straight 6? These engines are good for many hundreds of thousand miles so it maybe more economical to address the problems you have with the current engine. I can not comment regarding the swop (40s being my thing) but I'm sure there are members on here who can advise.
There is a thread on here - FJ40s for sale - and Ali does FJ40 parts from Pakistan. He works in US$s and is currently looking at shipping costs. It may be worth following that thread for parts for Deegan's truck - soft top and bars etc.

Regards,

Back