Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser Startup pack

Fieldsy

Country Flag
australia
Hey guys,

I am new to the Land Cruiser world and have just recently bought myself a 1993 80 Series GXL 4.2 Diesel Land Cruiser. She needs a bit of love and I'm in the process of fixing her up so she can be the mighty stallion she once was. So far with everything going according to plan, the cost of getting the basics to what they should be, should leave me with about $3000 left in my budget to make her a real 4WD.

My question to you guys is "In your experience, where would that money go in order to make the most of both the money and the 4WD?"

I plan to use her for 4WDing and touring around Australia. I also need to use it to get to work, and to drive down to see my family who are 400km away so please be mindful before you say "just put super big tyres on it" because because I need a half respectable fuel economy. She's just about stock standard with the exception of the the 2 inch lift and the factory bull bar.

The more specific, the better.

Cheers
Fieldsy

Welcome to the forum. Not completely sure that SHE can be a stallion, but let's hope she doesn't turn out to be a right MARE ha ha. Well you know the list of things you can do are endless, but getting it back to factory really is the first thing so you have that right.

Hard to give a lot of detail because we don't know the vehicle nor precisely the type of driving you are going to be doing. You could go with full roof tent, drawers, water, extra fuel - you know the sort of thing, or you could leave it in beautiful standard form in which it'll do probably anything you ask of it. So before bolting things on you really need to pick a purpose. I would say that being 1993, there is a chance that the springs and dampers are tired. You said it has a 2" lift which we assume isn't a body lift. But that could still be old or cheap quality. You must select suspension according to need so it's important to start from the right place, but some new suspension would give a good feel to the car and certainly sort out the handling. Tyre choice is important too. Not tyre SIZE but type type. I don't know what's available to you nor what it's fitted with now, but you shouldn't have budget tyres on there. On road bigger tyres don't do anything for you, but some decent all terrains or something should last well and keep the punctures at bay. Some decent lights might be a good idea if you are travelling at night. But you know aside from some fairly basic things, the 80 just doesn't need anything more to be good.

We need a bit more detail I think. What sort of 4WDing? We have diff locks herein the UK and generally other markets don't. Of you were doing serious stuff, I'd say fit lockers and a winch. But I certainly wouldn't do that if I was just driving trails.

Thanks Chris,
The suspension looked like it was in pretty good condition on first inspection, however I'm not sure about the quality as there is no identification on it. The water tank sounds like a good idea to have on board, but I don't think I will invest in the roof tent as I prefer camping in my swag.
Investing in some good tyres sounds like a great plan, I'm already looking at new tyres as the tyres I bought with it are far bellow satisfactory. Lights are on my list, as I do do a fair bit of night driving. Most of the 4WDing at this stage will just be trails I think, just one or two day tracks for now, but I cant say lockers and a winch wont be on my list in the future.
Thanks for your help, this should get me started.

Get to know your LC first and try and do what you want in it. Then you can improve where it is found wanting.

The standard LC is a very capable car in just its standard form.

Photos please!!! I would help to see what have you got already.

Although the list is very long it starts with:

tyres
suspension
bullbar
......... and goes as deep as your pocket allows.

Since you already have those I would be thinking on accessories. Although Lockers are good a winch is in my opinion more useful.

33's are good on fuel and big enough for most uses.

Last edited:
Fieldsy, first congrats on finding yourself a good 80 to start with. A good foundation for years of enjoyment.
As for mods may I suggest within that budget allow for a couple of simple engine/performance mods just to make it that bit more enjoyable to drive and still offer economy.
It sounds like you have the 1HZ engine, so a set of headers and upgraded exhaust along with a better filter and maybe even an injector pump tune might find her even better to drive. Just a thought, as your $3K won't stretch to a proper turbo job. A nicer running 1HZ will tick along nicely for you.
Of course if it is a 1HDT then there's a few more tweaks you can do.
But whatever you do, she will still be a great 80 so you'll love it anyway.
Cheers. Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for all the help so far guys, I'll get some pictures up as soon I can.
Chris, I do have the 1HZ engine, is there any specific parts you would recommend as far as engine mods?

Cheers

Hi, 'touring around Australia', seems a nice easy way to say you need strength and reliability from your vehicle, the 80 is a good start! IMO the 80 is last of the 'true' off roaders. Tough as nails, mega reliable, and minimal electronics, and spacious to boot, PERFECT!!

Assuming you have no evidence they have been done? I would start with a cooling system overall including a new radiator and water pump, timing belt, replace fan belts while in there and throw the spare in the boot........you know they fit.

So where to place your money?

Remember that increasing performance (and using it) normally means an increase in fuel consumption, and an often measurable reduction in engine longevity, given the distances involved between places of civilisation in Australia, I would consider additional fuel and water carrying capacity as a priority over engine modifications.

An auxiliary battery and split charge/isolator is useful insurance.

Fridge, the fridge is a necessity I absolutely cannot go without but unsure if you need them?

Tyres should be as near stock as possible but, if you plan on a different size then remember you are going to need at least two spares to carry, and they should be a size that is easily available, quality before size is the way to go.

If you do not have axle locks then consider one in the rear............could be painful...............to the wallet, you readers with the filthy minds!! A winch is useful if you have something to anchor it too, ask me how I know this, a locker would IME be more useful.Noting your comments about use:

My 80 doubles as a run around/airport taxi, and then with minimal warning becomes an off road caravan.

I go into the 'campo' (tiny version of your outback) for what could be a weekend trip or two weeks depending how I feel. So some fixtures are permanent, some can be fitted in a few moments.

Permanent:

Dual batteries.
Solar panel.
25 litres of water in the rear wing for washing/shower.
Basic tool kit/spares.

Removable but can be fitted minutes:

Fridge.

Roof rack, mine is suspended from the garage ceiling on pulleys, it can lowered onto the car single handed in a few minutes, I do have a roof top tent but noting your swag comments, I like to be off the floor when asleep, given some of the less friendly critters we get here in Spain and seeing what can visit you in Oz I would not dream of sleeping on the floor!!. So a roof rack for your travels?

Second solar panel fitted to roof rack, plugs in and parallels with the first for longer periods of camping.

Drawer system if going for longer periods of time, mine has been removed and a new one being built, more modular, lighter and easier to lift in and out of car.

I do not have a decent on board air system but it is in the pipeline, you may need to deflate/inflate the tyres for driving in sand?

Pair of sand ladders?

Perhaps a decent navigation system?

Difficult to tell someone where to spend their money, plenty of 'toys' out there, so it may be easier to imagine your usage and go from there, choose things based on order of priority given your personal use/circumstances.

regards

Dave

Keep your 3k in your pocket and just drive it. See what works and what doesnt and go from there.... carry lots of water in the meantime ;-)

Thanks for all the help so far guys, I'll get some pictures up as soon I can.
Chris, I do have the 1HZ engine, is there any specific parts you would recommend as far as engine mods?

Cheers

With the 1HZ and keeping in mind your budget plan of around $3K, I would limit yourself to a set of headers to start with. If the existing exhaust is OK then stay with it, but otherwise a complete system will help it a bit. As mentioned a decent air filter like Unifilter helps flow and dust retention.
As far as tuning and fuel goes, this is where you have to be more careful. As has been noted, the incorrect set up can create more problems than it solves. Depending where you are look for a tuning shop who understands AFRs and getting the ideal ratio on a dyno. You can still achieve better performance and still be safe and reliable when the AFRs are correct.

As has been mentioned, a battery system and portable fridge and a few comforts like that will go a long way to making your set up more useable and enjoyable.
Then again just get out and enjoy your 80.

I reckon a decent set of A/T tyres are the only thing you need for starters, BFG A/T's being the most popular. More puncture resistant, fine on tarmac and extremely capable offroad too. Make sure you change the spare too, just in case.

After that, upgraded lighting (HID kit?) if you do a lot of night driving, and a fridge is a nice luxury in a hot country. Water wise, just carry plenty of bottles for now, no need for a plumbed in system IMO! :)

Back