Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

landcruiser 80 front brake

paul 123

Hi all I have 80 landcruiser j reg 1990 can I put the later front brake clapper on with the 45 mm piston in I think my have 43 mm can any body help me .Thanks paul

Don't think the clapper will fit inside with 15" original wheels on.

hi
i am going to be fitting later brakes to mine soon so been looking at this.
to fit the larger caliper on a early 80 you need the larger discs aswell but seems to be just the 2 items that are different. pads are the same so should be able to do the 100 series pad mod aswell. for what its worth the pads are tge same on a 95 as well. forgot to say you need 16" wheels if you do the back. some 15 will fit depending on the offset. i dont know the specs for this
if you need more info search iha8mud good write up about it.

stu

Last edited:
hi
i am going to be fitting later brakes to mine soon so been looking at this.
to fit the larger caliper on a early 80 you need the larger discs aswell but seems to be just the 2 items that are different. pads are the same so should be able to do the 100 series pad mod aswell. for what its worth the pads are tge same on a 95 as well. forgot to say you need 16" wheels if you do the back. some 15 will fit depending on the offset. i dont know the specs for this
if you need more info search iha8mud good write up about it.

stu

You need to change the dust sheilds/back plates as well because I'd imagine they would rub, unless you just trimmed the curved edges.

I was thinking about doing it, but I think I'm not going to bother.I'm used to driving old cars with crap brakes and bald(ish!!) tyres, and I don't find the brakes on my '91 that bad. Way I look at it, its a small truck, if you want to drive fast, drive a fast car.

FWIW the small brakes are fine until you start adding to the gross train weight i.e. heavy trailer etc. I have driven both and can honestly say there is no noticeable difference between the two systems when driven normally with norm loads.

If your you car has other 'things' you want to repair or improve (for example lighting) then I would spend my money there first.

regards

Dave

Hi all I have just had a look at my front brake and I have 45mm piston have I got the later brakes on I have 15 inch wheels on after market ones , thanks for your help

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back