Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser Colorado Overheating

SWAR

We have recently had a trip to Europe with our 1997 Colorado and 24ft caravan. We have towed with it in the past with no problems but this time whenever we went up a hill we severely overheated. The water in the expansion chamber linked to the radiator got to boiling point and was forced out from under the bonnet. The temperature guage instantly went from 1/2 way to H and we had to stop every 10 miles or so to cool down and re-fill with water. We took out the thermostat which when tested did not work and have are running the engine without for a while. The top hose is hot but the bottom hose is cold. There is also a nasty knocking noise from the engine when it is cooling down and also when the car is stationary but revving over 2000 (which was done by the RAC guy when we got back). We run absolutely fine without the caravan on the back but the hoses are still one hot and one cold.

We have had different pieces of advice some saying it could be the water pump impellers some saying it will be a hairline crack in the head gasket. Both are going to be expensive.

Any ideas/advice would be welcome.

Have a search about the KZ-TE engine, overheating and cracking the head. Sadly it sounds like this is what has happened to yours. These engines need to have the cooling system in tip-top shape or you're asking for trouble. I know in South Africa, where the weather is obviously a fair amount hotter than here, there have been lots and lots of cases of these engines overheating and cracking the head.

Not sure about the water pump story - it might have some problems but the probability is that it's the head.

I'm sure the people here with personal experience of this problem will be along to inform you of their experiences and propose the best solution going forward.

Oh, and welcome to the club BTW - sorry that it's under unfortunate circumstances!

Cheers,

Is yours a Diesel? Auto or Manual?

I have a 97 Diesel, and I am another statistic - head cracked a while ago. :(

The KZTE's are prone to it unfortunately..

Apparently even more prone if the vehicle is an auto.

Hi SWAR,

Yes the KZ-TE engine does have a problem with the head cracking, easy test to see if you are getting gases from the combustion chamber into the coolant system is as follows. When the engine is cold NOT AFTER IT HAS BEEN RUNNING, remove the radiator cap and with it removed turn the engine over. If the coolant is forced out straight away then there is good chance that the head has gone and a strip down will be required. Also any garage will be able to do the dye test for you which is a liquid that changes colour when it comes into contact with combustion gases. I would say that Toyota coolant changes colour when it comes into contact with combustion gasses also but, as you said that you lost most of yours then topped up with water then that will no longer apply.

However having said the above you say that the bottom pipe stays cold whilst the top is hot and you have removed the thermostat. This indicates to me that there is a circulation problem, this could be a blockage (most likely the radiator) or the water pump not working correctly. Try a rad flush and see if water flows through it freely.

As has been said the KZ-TE engine does like its coolant looking after and when you get to the bottom of your problem make sure you use Toyota red coolant when you re-fill, for some reason that nobody has yet fathomed the KZ-TE does not like any other coolant.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I used generic green antifreeze in my 97 SWB manual with the 1KZTE when I replaced the Radiator a few years ago and have never had a problem since.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the info and the welcome. We have turned over without the rad cap and the water was not ejected, it is flowing through but there are also some bubbles. While I had the hood open (again) and the engine running I took the oil cap off to check for water in oil and found there is a significant amount of compression.

Will be doing a rad flush this week but think it will def need a new head unfortunately, shame because checking through the paperwork I got with the car when I bought it and it had a new head fitted by Toyota just over 40k miles ago.

Anyway fingers crossed.

Steve.

Back