Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landrover Defender 90 vs Landcruiser 90?

kzj90nz

Hi all,

Wondering what you all think about Landrover Defender 90s?

They're pretty rare here in NZ but the ones that are around are stunning!

I could only afford one if I sold my 90 series Landcruiser and my weekend classic (which has been sitting for a few years now).

No doubt that the Defender 90's will be a future classic and I like the idea of owning a practical classic.

What are your thoughts? Would you trade your Landcruiser 90 and classic car for a Defender 90?

Are they a significant upgrade from the 90 series Landcruisers? How are they in the spare parts / reliability department?

Keen to hear your thoughts.

This should be good..... after all this is a Landcruiser forum.

BTW, no I would not sell a Landcruiser to buy a Landrover.

Now there's something wrong with that last paragraph. The word 'reliability' is used in connection with a Land Rover. It's against the laws of physics I'm afraid. [emoji4]

Down grade from a cruiser to a lame rover?
Try taking one for a test drive before you contemplate that.
I have driven series landies and 110 defender and in no way are they better than my 80 series.

Having owned both and used as farm vehicles.

The LR can tow more legally in the UK, 3.5 tons v 2.8 tons. Although the LR is too short to feel stable with a rocking cattle trailer behind it, although plenty of people use them for just that. The LR should have a stronger front end because it's a solid front axle v IFS. Pattern parts for LRs are relatively cheap and easy to come by in the UK. Stuff like replacement interiors are much cheaper. It's relatively cheap and easy to replace parts of, or the whole chassis on the LR.

The LC is miles more comfortable to drive. If you're 6' and up you need to stoop in a LR to see out, and you'll have a bruised right elbow for ever more because the steering wheel is too close to the door. The LR feels like a trial of endurance to drive any distance in comparison. My experience was that both needed suspension parts at about the same mileage workload. The LR seemed to leak a lot more oil, around the swivel hubs, from the gearbox and transfer box output shafts. I never had drivetrain issues with the LR but I know lots of people who have. The head cracked on my LC, the money to fix that was greater than everything I ever spent on the LR. There are plenty of threads on ways to reduce the risk of that happening by renewing radiators and thermostats on the LC.

I like them both. If it's just for a farm / 30 mile radius / lots of towing, I'd look at the LR. But I'd probably still buy the LC. But I've had LCs for 15 years and I'm on a LC forum. Using the farm / 30 miles criteria I bought a Suzuki Jimmy, which compliments my LC 120 nicely.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Compared with a 90LC the LR is very agricultural, I agree with all the points above, I've done 400 miles this weekend in my LC95 D4D and it was a breeze. Comfortable relatively quiet and a nice place to be, would I have liked to do the same in a SWB Defender ? I think not!! Also I think all Defenders are manual so there is no auto option.
Biggest PITA is the relative steering wheel/side window positioning which I couldn't live with and never developed to be improved which about sums up a Defender.

You say they are rare in NZ, is that because they are any good?

Just my 2NZcents worth.

Had you said swap for an FJ40 there might be some logic to your question .

Depends what you want to do with it IMO, if you want to enter offroad comps, or go thrashing it to within an inch of it's life on playsites/hardcore offroad, either vehicle is going to suffer mechanical issues, the LR90 will be much easier on the wallet tho, easier and cheaper to modify, easier and cheaper to fix, plenty of second hand spares about at cheap prices as discoveries rot to bits (e.g £300 for a replacement 300tdi engine in UK).

If you're doing more sedate green lanes, or overlanding, the LC has a better reliability reputation than the LR, much MUCH more comfortable, much MUCH more room inside, and all round a much better vehicle, too good for thrashing on playsites. When it does break, it costs arms and leg prices, and other body parts when your Mrs sees the invoice.

I can't imagine anyone who knows both vehicles would consider LC to LR90 an upgrade in any way shape of form :laughing-rolling:

The only time I love my LR90 is on a playsite, or very deep wading; I hate the bloody thing at all other times. I love my LC80 all the time, except when it comes to settling repair invoices.

LR90 (after a full nut n bolt rebuild inc Galv chassis) 2 years ownership, 3000k hard miles, mostly playsites with plenty of deep wading and green lanes: Breakages: 2 alarms, 2 sets of wheel bearings on each corner, 2 sets of prop U/js and one new prop, full front axle rebuild - teflon swivels, new bearings, stubs, CV and halfshaft, front diff, new radiator, new starter, alternator, water pump, P gasket, power steeering pump, 2 sets new handbrakes shoes - 1 new cable (and the handbrake is still pants), 4 sets of rear pads, 2 sets of front pads, speedo cable, heater fan motor, transfer box

LC80 (lots of mods/overland prep) 9 months ownership, 3000km mostly green lanes/motorway (only 1 playsite visit to get used to it) Breakages: CV and halfshaft, handbrake/dogbones done (and the handbrake is still pants), air con, Master cylinder, trying to stop a slight smoking issue I had the injectors tested, the fuelpump retuned as it had been turned up, tappets re-shimmed, and then found the cause - 3 pistons are cracked (212km on the engine, note pump was turned up tho and this is a 12valve)

The LR owes me £2k in fixes, it's looking like the LC is going to owe me a shitload more very soon. :doh:

The Defender is not comparable to a 90 LC and isn't intended to be. A Discovery is more LC 90 territory. The LR cheap spares bonus may not be so in NZ if they are rarer than LC's so no points there. You can polish a Defender all you like and even bolt on some bling but it's still a basic working vehicle with big tradeoff's in comfort and practicality. Two very different vehicles IMO.

Nope... Not comparable at all. Different vehicles for different purposes. Perhaps comparing a 70 and a defender you might get away with, but not a 90

The Colorado/90 is a serious all-rounder. I've found that it does everything well, while not being the best at anything in particular. Eg, it's not as comfy on the motorway as an E class merc, but it's pretty decent. Not as good to tow as a 100 Amazon, but well able for anything I've thrown behind it up to 18feet and 4 ton.

A defender does most things badly and one thing brilliantly - off road. Even worse if it's a TD5

. You can polish a Defender all you like and even bolt on some bling .

Steady on with the polishing. The paint is very thin and very rapidly you with be through to the lush alloy underneath! :think:

The Defender 90 is a useful Farm vehicle, but not much use as an every day driver.

Also, they are not very robust. My neighbour was in the Scottish Borders last winter when they had been suffering a lot of flooding. He skidded on a wet/muddy corner and rammed his TD5 '90' into the end of a bridge parapet at - he said - less than 30 mph.

He suffered some bruising from the seat belt and steering wheel and his Gundog was a bit cross-eyed for a day or so but the '90' is a gonner - the impact even ripped the Transfer Box off the gearbox :shock:.

DSCN5771_zpsyedqxamf.jpg

DSCN5772_zpsltmmvkbc.jpg

DSCN5773_zpsovhjn1nr.jpg

DSCN5774_zpshdrjs6vl.jpg

DSCN5775_zpsgygdrrof.jpg

DSCN5779_zpsbqliej3h.jpg

A sad end, luckily no-one was seriously hurt.

Bob.

Wow - this post certainly kicked off!!!

Thanks very much to all of the senior members for your honesty. It's been really interesting to read the comments of those who have owned both a LC and LR.

I guess the next question is if going from a Land Cruiser to a Land Rover is not considered an upgrade, then where to? The FJ Cruiser and LC 70?

It's so funny, in NZ LRs are considered to be very prestigious high end vehicles with a 25,000 pound price difference from a LC 90 - you make the defender sound like a home brand special at a supermarket.

Definitely feeling a bit better about my high mileage 90!

High mileage…how high?

For your ideal vehicle what would you really want out of it? What items would you put on a wish list to improve over the 90?

Last edited:
Not much (if anything) to add. I've never driven a LR Defender 90, but I drove a 110 Defender as a DD for 5 years from new, and it was less comfy than a JCB 3CX. The bottom end dropped out of the engine at 60k miles.

I've driven 88" half-tonners (UK and Dutch Army spec) and they're great fun like a Willis with a roof. Also driven series LRs and they all suffer the same "shoulder pressed against a steel door" and stiff neck after 30 miles.

Sadly, I've never had the pleasure of driving an LC 90, but I've had 10 years of the "80 grin" and I'm looking forward to the next 20 years or so grinning in the same truck.

Sorry, no comparison, chalk vs cheese IMO.

I have had more Land Rovers than I can count. My last 90 was a heavily modified 200tdi soft top.
The good...
They look great.
Easy to modify.
Loads and loads of options on what you can do.
The good thing about the 200/300 tdi is that you can get a lot of power out of it. Simple engines. Easy to fix.

The bad....
You need to modify them to live with them.
Poor driving position, very cramped, which is why defender drivers normally drive with the window open.
Useless heater.
Aircon after thought a joke (td5 and older).

My dad has a td5 defender, my landcruiser is in a different league in terms of comfort, power. I miss the defender for it's simplicity, which is also it's downfall nowadays.

I never had any reliability issues with my tdi land rover.
If I could put a Defender body on the Toyota, I would be happy!

10857886_854569084595482_2178869216731806969_n.jpg

I have both and they are auto,they are both used for different jobs,offroad the defender and towing and everyday use the landcruiser.

Here in Spain, Defenders fetch really high prices.
The Defender, in comparison to the 90 series landcruiser, is inferior in every way, but I would still have another.
I think a comparison between a contemporary discovery or range rover would have been more fair, but the Toyota would still come out on top in most categories.

Back