Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Latest on rear screen seal replacement

Never had this trouble years ago with screen leaks. The rubber came with a separate fillet. You put the main rubber then glass in first with no string nor struggle. Then you ran the fillet in which was larger than the gap it went into and this swelled the rubber up which sealed the screen. The rubber was very soft.

The Alpine lights in the series 1 Disco had rubbers like this. Mine leaked for England until I eventually sealed them with silicone. Certainly easier to remove and refit though, especially if you had the pukka tool for the insert.

Iirc the later screens are bonded because of the airbags. Toyota recommend the rubber is replaced.

Finally got round to removing and refitting/sealing the rear window today. Bought some of the butyl screen sealer (not Arbomast) as posted up by Starcruiser I think it was.

Good to reseal windows, PITA waiting three years for rain so they can be tested though! :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I just wonder if replacement glass is thinner than a Toyota one.

You might have a point there Frank, I made enquiries about changing my front screen, and the guy openly said I shouldn't, "you'll never get 20 years out of one of these replacements" was the phrase. It wouldn't surprise me if the newer screens are thinner.

Good to reseal windows, PITA waiting three years for rain so they can be tested though! :icon-biggrin:
regards Dave

It's usually me getting into bother for such a remark, but as its been raining on and off for a week here......

:violence-smack:

It's usually me getting into bother for such a remark, but as its been raining on and off for a week here......

:violence-smack:

Yeh your right Clive, having a sense of humour can make others so jealous, all work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy. :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

Just a word on Fairy Liquid chaps, it's basically liquid salt. Mite not be the best lubricant to use!

Sodium Lauryl Sulphate 10-20%
Sodium C12-14 Pareth-3 Sulfate 5-10%
Lauramine Oxide 5-10% (surfactant - i.e. breaks surface tension, makes things wetter at a micro scale)
Sodium C12-14 Alkyl Sulfate 1-5%

When I was 8 or 9 yrs old I thought Fairy Liquid would be a good substitute for oil on my bike chain, it didn't end well :laughing-rolling:

I managed to get the rear glass in without any lube. It was tight though and a good strong pull on the cord was needed but it 'popped' in and seated OK. I've used a fairy liquid solution on MC tyres before with anodised rims which didn't suffer.

What about using rubber grease? That would help get the screen in and then stop water capillary action. Rubber against a corrodeable surface is a non no.

Just a word on Fairy Liquid chaps, it's basically liquid salt. Mite not be the best lubricant to use!

Sodium Lauryl Sulphate 10-20%
Sodium C12-14 Pareth-3 Sulfate 5-10%
Lauramine Oxide 5-10% (surfactant - i.e. breaks surface tension, makes things wetter at a micro scale)
Sodium C12-14 Alkyl Sulfate 1-5%

When I was 8 or 9 yrs old I thought Fairy Liquid would be a good substitute for oil on my bike chain, it didn't end well :laughing-rolling:

You learn something new everyday!

regards

Dave

Back