Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC100 Diff Locks and A-Trac... Petrol vs Diesel Questions

danc8000

Hi all,

I know there is an awful lot of info floating around about diff locks and A-Trac but a trader selling a 2003 petrol VX has me a little confused. Would anyone mind confirming a few things for me please?

-- The trader is adamant that his V8 LC has a rear diff lock but I was sure that the V8s didn't get a diff lock but had A-Trac instead. Is that correct?
-- Am I right in thinking there is no button to engage or disengage A-Trac because it is always in some sort of standby mode?
-- Does the A-Trac only work in low ratio?
-- Is the centre diff lock available on all models and is the switch always in the same place on the centre console near the gear lever?
-- Is the rear diff lock switch somewhere on the dash to the left of the steering wheel?

Many thanks
Dan

All petrols from some time in 1999 got ATRAC, I don't know if a rear locker was still an option from then, it might have been. The traction control works in high and low, forward and reverse gears and you'll feel it working a bit like when ABS kicks in and also a (green?) light on the dash flickers on as it activates.

I've never seen an ATRAC on/off button, pretty sure that never existed.

All the ones I've seen had a CDL button, the symbol has a pair of axles with an x in the middle if I remember right. As far as I know all 100 series are full time 4WD and have a locking centre diff (the solid axle 105 series had part time variants I think, with no CDL).

The rear diff lock switch would be a rotary switch to the left of the steering wheel and down a bit. You'll need CDL engaged and possibly low range to get it working and then a light will flash on the dash till it locks and then the light goes solid. It is not automatic and having a switch doesn't guarantee it's connected to anything!

Back