Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

lc5 engine fault

I am always a little bit suspicious when I see ads. that say there is a fault that the owner cant be bothered to identify, especially after spending £8000.00 on a new engine. Warranty?

My gut feeling is that folks do know what the fault is, but dont want to say, so make it vague.

If you assume its a new engine, so another £8000.00? is the car worth £14,500 ?

Thats serious wedge for a problem car.

Now if you had a spare engine sat in the garage, and the knowledge to fit it yourself, thats a different matter.

Pete

Please everyone READ SPARES AND REPAIR the car still runs but has a rattly / knocking from the engine

2004 - injector problems. This one might have had a mild case of oil starvation?

It's only 20minutes from me must be worth a 4k offer.....

it has a buy it now of 6.5K, you can pick up a second hand engine on the bay for around 2K and fitting is fairly straight forward but it also says new clutch so its a manual? i thought all lc5's were auto.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
know
it has a buy it now of 6.5K, you can pick up a second hand engine on the bay for around 2K and fitting is fairly straight forward but it also says new clutch so its a manual? i thought all lc5's were auto.

It is not an LC5.
None of the LC5 had the wheel on the rear door.
Some of the LC4, early one's had the wheel on the door, the later after about 2007, had them underneath.
So my top guess is that this is LC4 or LC3 with leather upgrade.
He doesn't seem to know that by putting the two rear seats back in, it makes it an eight seater, not a seven seater like his advert says.

Replacing the engine is not strait forward at all.
There is a lot of programming to do, with the various ECU's.

No one will touch it, even many Toyota garages will refuse to do the engine swap for you.

I know.

Gra.

Last edited:
Certainly looks like an LC5 to me - there was an option on the early ones to get wheel on door or underslung. It has the correct GPS unit for an LC5, the instrumentation shows the height adjustment for the rear suspension, and the model id in the glove compartment says LC5 - admittedly, either of those could be fake but easy to check once you're in the vehicle... but the windows have no privacy glass, so 'caveat emptor' on this one ...

You could get any of the 120 variants in manual.... it just wasn't that popular really.

Back