Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lengthening ARB links

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
In the spirit of keeping busy this week, I decided it was time to make my drop links a bit longer. Why do this? Oh come on, you should all know by now :whistle:

If I had money, I'd be dangerous.

OK so here's the assembly from the rear. You can either lengthen the strap or the link itself. The advantage of doing the strap is that when you need new links, you just use the standard ones. If you make longer links - well you have to do this all over again. Or you could find some longer links to start with. The straps are available in longer vers.... why the hell am I telling you all this?

P1000738.jpg

Well nothing ventured, out with the saw and chop diddly chop chop, moments later ...

Here's the decapitated knuckle with my new piece ready to go in. I did contemplate threading it, using a sleeve instead of solid - in fact several fancy solutions including an adjustable version when I came to my senses, cut 3" of steel rod, chamfered the end to form a root, whacked the MIG on STUN and set to.
The reason that the spigot has gone from a hex key to a weird sort of tab on the end is because the little blighter would not come apart and the hex hole rounded out. I welded a tab on so I could grip it. The other side came off OK.

P1000739.jpg

One end glued -
P1000740.jpg

Sort the other end out so it's mostly straight and Bzzzzz

P1000742.jpg

A spray of cheap rattle can later and they were back on.

Job's a good un as we folks say around here. That's all, nothing more to see, move along now...

Chris

Whip them off and pop round fella. Welders' always on. As is the kettle. Post them to me if you like with return and you can have them any length you like.

Chris

Think i'll take you up on that.

Might also grab your press of thats OK and press in those bushes - that rent a garage thingy failed to materialise last week (my guy had some work commitments come up).

Hope its a big kettle!

Thanks

Right well I am out tonight so I hope you've not set off already! :roll:

Chris

The deal does not extend to taking your rusted old barnacles off for you. That takes longer then cutting them. Make sure that they will undo at both ends first.

Ill turn around then:(

It'll most likely be a few weeks - got some things to do next weekend. And the barnacles will be as requested.

Thanks!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back