Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ Simple Aux Tank now complete

JimmyLJ71

Its now complete, and it works :thumbup:

Fed up with filling up jerry cans etc when i go away and not being able to afford or get a posh system i thought i would come up with my own system.
All parts bought on ebay

55 litre tank

auxtank003.jpg

An electronic fuel valve, power off=closed, power on=open, then linked to a hi flow caravan pump, only to be used with diesel.

auxtank004.jpg

This was then connected using a marine grade fuel hose, P clipped to my storage system, hole drilled through the floor, sleeved then sealed using a non setting mastic.
I then made a curved patch , drilled a hole in it then brazed a pipe connector on. A hole was then drilled into the fuel inlet pipe, all cleaned up, then the patch was stuck on using a special adhesive, after curing over night it was then connected to the hose.

auxtank001.jpg

The pump/valve is switched on using an aircraft style switch for safety reasons, it can also only be switched on whilst the ignition is on, therefore the fuel gauge is always operational when fuel is being transferred.
I have also installed a flashing warning light next to the switch that flashes whilst fuel is being transfered.

auxtank002.jpg

Interesting.

I had considered something similar for a while, but then decided that I could not afford the space in the cargo bay.

Given that the auxialliary tank is above the level of the main tank, how come you put in an electric pump feed, rather than just gravity feed into the existing filler neck controlled by a manual tap? Apart, of course, for inflight fuel transfer :)

Be careful filling up the aux tank. If there is any diesel spillage in the cargo bay it will stink up the truck for quite a long time. Might be worth you fillling the aux tank yourself that have a pump attendant do it when travelling in places like Morocco etc.

Good job. Well done.

How cool, you can adjust the trim of your truck on the move! :clap: :clap:

When I had cans on the roof, I was going to have a pump that would simply drop inside and have a hose going into the filler cap. Then I realised I could just use hosepipe and siphon it! Not whilst on the move of course.

Chris

Chris said:
How cool, you can adjust the trim of your truck on the move! :clap: :clap:

When I had cans on the roof, I was going to have a pump that would simply drop inside and have a hose going into the filler cap. Then I realised I could just use hosepipe and siphon it! Not whilst on the move of course.

Chris

mmmm, diesel is an acquired taste. I'd rather stick to beer myself :lol: :lol: :lol:

With a bit of re plumbing you could use the pump to fill the aux tank from the main tank then you would have no spillage issues

Thinking about it how is the tank vented?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back