Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 2.4 (or 1KZ 3.0) rpms on motorway, fuel economy, etc.?

whereabouts are u? If midlands u could have a look at my lj73 electrics later this autumn. hasn't been modified much, apart from a wilson switch.
I amy take you up on that, depends on work schedule. I have my hands full at the moment diagnosing an over fueling condition on the 1UZFE V8! Where to start...:eek:

Nice! :clap:

Putting the same V8 engine in mine soon. :icon-biggrin:

Interesting that Westcoast Off Road never finished this vehicle and got all the electric problems sorted. From what I can remember from the thread the previous owner started they had it for over a year. :?

Hey Ben, I was chatting to you on facebook today. Well, I had the V8 LJ booked in for an annual inspection tomorrow, but I noticed it had an intermittent misfire on the way home. Well, today it is fouling all eight spark plugs like nobodys business - completely black and soot covered. Time to get the multimeter out and start diagnosing. The engine itself is ok, compression and all that, but there are a ton of possible faults causing this problem. West Coast couldn't fix it, and the now defunct Thor Racing had it as well and could not fix it apparently.
I am starting from scratch and going through the whole lot methodically, so may take some time. Hopefully not, but should be a challenge. I've taken the ECU out tonight and will inspect the capacitors for leakage and solder new ones in if needed. From there I will check ground connections and make sure the MAF and other sensors are getting the correct voltage. Looks like they replaced the MAF, but there were two different types and the wrong one is, well, wrong! I bet at the end of the day is it something simple, either no power, bad ground or something like the coolant temp sensor telling the motor it is -25C outside! Will keep you posted. I'm going to cut and paste this and start a new thread if anyone has any ideas. Catch you soon!

Fingers crossed its something simple Rob. :thumbup:

A new thread sounds good. I'd love to see some engine bay pics so I can see how the engine sits under the bonnet.

Are you running the standard ECU?

Another member on here, Ryan, is also doing a 1UZ conversion although hes planning on using an aftermarket ECU for simplicity. :icon-biggrin:

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/an-ultra-slow-ultra4-build.143848/
Sure I'll get some pics out there - it's not very tidy I have to say, especially for a shop job. Yep, it has stock ECU, but checking megasquirt out, some real power gains as well, not that I need any...I'll see what Ryan is getting up to. Thanks! Keep you posted.

Reactions: Ben
I used to run a megasquirt about 10 years ago, great if you understand engines, know how to tune and have he time to fiddle with it. Its moved on a long since so I don't know how its improved over the years

well, that´s a nice little rocket you have got!
good that you didn´t go for the 2,4l, especially the 2-LT pre 1990. had it in a LJ73 from 1988. slowest moving thing ever, temperature problems, powerless at 88HP and 180 Nm. next gen 2LT-II 90HP and much smoother ride with almost 200Nm. I have 1KZ-TE in my KZJ78, much better but also here need to watch temperature...

regarding the riding comfort, the old LJ to next gen has a different set up of suspension coils and dampers and is a rough rider. newer LJ much better, the KZJ78 with lwb like a cadillac. but try the 90 or 95 prado, they are almost real cars, huge comfort and spec. D4D version great milage, down to 8l/100km.

I looked into 1UZ-FE conversion myself. engines from 1st gen are around 240 HP but thirsty, next gen with variable valves around 260 HP with much better mileage. tried to get pre-approval for the conversion here in Austria, no way, just no way. would have needed some approvals from certified bodies for testing of frame, brakes, exhaust fumes, etc., totals to EUR 6000,- and no guarantee to pass. this is before buying the new engine etc.
If you need some ideas about interfacing the electrics visit the offroadexpresskiwi site, the guys in NZ have some masterminds and did many conversions. one big issue is the automatic gearbox, would be interested in which gear box you connected underneath? standard gear box with 4WD option etc.? impressive.
there´s a guy in NZ who offered me to build a wire loom to fit 1UZ to my rig including all electrics and gearbox.

I´ll watch this space :)

cheers
peter

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I used to run a megasquirt about 10 years ago, great if you understand engines, know how to tune and have he time to fiddle with it. Its moved on a long since so I don't know how its improved over the years

well, that´s a nice little rocket you have got!
good that you didn´t go for the 2,4l, especially the 2-LT pre 1990. had it in a LJ73 from 1988. slowest moving thing ever, temperature problems, powerless at 88HP and 180 Nm. next gen 2LT-II 90HP and much smoother ride with almost 200Nm. I have 1KZ-TE in my KZJ78, much better but also here need to watch temperature...

regarding the riding comfort, the old LJ to next gen has a different set up of suspension coils and dampers and is a rough rider. newer LJ much better, the KZJ78 with lwb like a cadillac. but try the 90 or 95 prado, they are almost real cars, huge comfort and spec. D4D version great milage, down to 8l/100km.

I looked into 1UZ-FE conversion myself. engines from 1st gen are around 240 HP but thirsty, next gen with variable valves around 260 HP with much better mileage. tried to get pre-approval for the conversion here in Austria, no way, just no way. would have needed some approvals from certified bodies for testing of frame, brakes, exhaust fumes, etc., totals to EUR 6000,- and no guarantee to pass. this is before buying the new engine etc.
If you need some ideas about interfacing the electrics visit the offroadexpresskiwi site, the guys in NZ have some masterminds and did many conversions. one big issue is the automatic gearbox, would be interested in which gear box you connected underneath? standard gear box with 4WD option etc.? impressive.
there´s a guy in NZ who offered me to build a wire loom to fit 1UZ to my rig including all electrics and gearbox.

I´ll watch this space :)

cheers
peter

Thanks guys! I'm moving along slowly, but making some progress tuning the V8 LJ70. I can't wait to drive it again, hoping to pass the MOT (vehicle inspection) this week or next. Two ECU codes left to clear...
Also meant to say, yes it's standard gearbox (R151 I think, really low 1st gear) mated up to the V8. Not into having an automatic with this motor, much more fun to drive with a manual.

Back