Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

i did think of adding some diagonal braces, but thought as the drop plate was 20mm thick steel, then it shouldnt bend. :think:

so yesterday after work i loaded the 4-runner onto the trailer. was going to use the bobcat but it wouldnt lift it as it only lifts up to 1 ton.

so i borrowed a forklift from the farm, and it just happened to be a Toyota!

PC090184.jpg

PC090185.jpg

PC090187.jpg

PC090186.jpg

got it home, then spent till 10pm filling the inside with scrap out my sheds, workshop and garage loft. i didnt realise what a hoarder ive been the last 10 years. really need to get rid of everything that i wont be taking with me to OZ.

an early start today, and a very full trailer.

PC100189.jpg

PC100190.jpg

PC100192.jpg

towed it lovely to the scrapyard.

PC100193.jpg

PC100194.jpg

was a bit early, so had to wait for them to move all the wagons out of the entrance and off the weigh bridge.

PC100195.jpg

PC100196.jpg

pulled onto the weigh bridge and the scales read 4250kg's. so just over 4 tonnes. :shock:

and good bye 4-runner. :D

PC100197.jpg

pulled back onto weigh bridge and the 4-runner full of scrap had come in at just under 2 tonnes, so a nice £250 cash in my pocket.

took the trailer back, and then came back with out it and weighed 10 old car batteries in, and some copper, brass, lead and stainless steel, so that was another £150. :D

found it interesting to see my truck empty, apart from all my recovery gear that i always carry weighs 2.1 tonnes. i wonder what they weigh as standard? :think:

Attachments

• PC090184.jpg
    PC090184.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 69
  • PC090185.jpg
    PC090185.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 81
  • PC090187.jpg
    PC090187.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 75
  • PC090186.jpg
    PC090186.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 76
  • PC100189.jpg
    PC100189.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 61
  • PC100190.jpg
    PC100190.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 71
  • PC100192.jpg
    PC100192.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 69
  • PC100193.jpg
    PC100193.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 64
  • PC100194.jpg
    PC100194.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 74
  • PC100195.jpg
    PC100195.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 60
thanks Roger. so going by that im roughly 300kg's heavier than standard. id have thought the bumpers, rock sliders and 35" tyres would have increased the weight more than that. :think:

i havnt removed much weight from standard, only the rear seats. :|

ive been getting some bad vibrations through the steering wheel lately, which i had thought was the wheels being out of balance. but after lying under the truck tonight and having a good luck at everything, it appears the bottom front shock bushes have worn away AGAIN. so now effectively the bottom of the front shocks are loose and can move around. :thumbdown:

why would this happen again? ive not done many miles since the rebuild, and i made sure they were torqued up properly. i could understand the top bush on the bottom of the shock wearing quickly as its got the weight bearing down on it, but the bush underneath the axle, the bottom one, has only got pressure on it at full droop surely? :thumbdown: :think:

ben said:
thanks Roger. so going by that im roughly 300kg's heavier than standard. id have thought the bumpers, rock sliders and 35" tyres would have increased the weight more than that. :think:

i havnt removed much weight from standard, only the rear seats. :|

ive been getting some bad vibrations through the steering wheel lately, which i had thought was the wheels being out of balance. but after lying under the truck tonight and having a good luck at everything, it appears the bottom front shock bushes have worn away AGAIN. so now effectively the bottom of the front shocks are loose and can move around. :thumbdown:

why would this happen again? ive not done many miles since the rebuild, and i made sure they were torqued up properly. i could understand the top bush on the bottom of the shock wearing quickly as its got the weight bearing down on it, but the bush underneath the axle, the bottom one, has only got pressure on it at full droop surely? :thumbdown: :think:

The rear seat is surprisingly heavy. I removed mine and the seat belts and substituted a large box full of kit and only added about 30 lbs.

The wear on the shock rubbers could be a combination of a number of factors:-

Driving too quickly on rough tracks. This will put a lot of strain on the rubbers due to the rapidity of the crushing effect.

Incorrect tightening. There are no actual torque settings as you are not tightening against a solid finish. You need to compress the rubbers about 30%.

A rough surface next to the rubbers will quickly wear them away.

Roger

will poly bushes last longer? :think:

can get a pair for £4. might order some and give them a go. :)

ben said:
will poly bushes last longer? :think:

can get a pair for £4. might order some and give them a go. :)

Probably but they will induce a certain amount of NVH but this will not be noticeable with your general set-up.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
poly have not been good to me, i find they provide a harsher ride, wear quicker, squeak ...
i used to install them in the spring swaps but now i run the factory rubber where possible.

others seem to have had better results.

thanks guys. :)

ive ordered some of these:-

http://www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/vitara ... od_13.html

should be here tuesday, so will get them fitted tuesday night, as i will be driving quite a few miles on Wednsday as its my last full day of insurance. (runs out mid day thursday :thumbdown: )

going to have a full 2.5" stainless steel exhaust built and fitted on Wednsday. will be interesting to see how much more power i will have. :twisted:

the current exhaust that i knocked up out of a load of bits of exhaust welded together must be restricting it quite a bit, as in places the bore is smaller than standard. :think:

depending on what time theyve finished doing the exhaust, might go to silverline and buy a new set of wheels. i want 5x 16" 8J black modulars with as much off set as possible.

then i can do away with the heavy 80 series wheels and spacers. :thumbup:

did quite a bit of towing yesterday and i was very impressed with how it felt. the amount of torque im getting from the 3litre engine is so much better for towing than the 2.4. :dance:
although there were times i forgot the trailer was there. :oops:

PC100001-1.jpg

PC100002.jpg

PC100003.jpg

took the tow bar back off last night.

PC100004-1.jpg

PC100005.jpg

found it interesting to see that i had managed to bend the 20mm plate by about 3mm forwards. i guess when braking with 2.5 tonnes on the back, even 20mm plate isnt strong enough.

PC100006.jpg

if i was to do a lot of towing, then i guess i should add more bracing, or use thicker plate. but i doubt i will use the towbar again. i plan on having another cruiser when im living in OZ, possibly an 80, or 105, and i will use that for towing.

my 70 is just a toy really, thats what its been built as, and thats what it will stay as, but i am tempted to do some pretty big trips in it when i get it over there. :cool:

Ben did you try Graham Sykes insurance? Ive just got my insurance with them for half my renewal price from my last insurer!

Seems a shame to do all that work and not be able to drive it. :thumbdown:

Roger Fairclough said:
That bend was created by the welding, not the towing.

Roger

good point, i didnt think of that. :think:
i welded it with my arc welder and turned the amps up full, so 180AMPS and the biggest rods id got. did trip the RCD a few times, but it melted the metal together lovely. :twisted:

ModelMakerMan said:
Ben did you try Graham Sykes insurance? Ive just got my insurance with them for half my renewal price from my last insurer!

Seems a shame to do all that work and not be able to drive it. :thumbdown:

thanks, i will give them a call on Thursday. im going to call flux back and see if it brings the price down anymore if they cover it just for pleasure use, and not also for commuting etc.

will be amazing if i can find some one to insure it for a grand or less, but im not holding out much hope, and im determined not to pay more than a grand. :?
Birder said:
Ben:

Envelope arrived, stuff will be posted in the morning

thanks Colin, much appreciated mate. :thumbup:

ive got tomorrow and thursday off work, as thursday is my last day of insurance. :(

getting my stainless steel custom exhaust made and fitted tomorrow, and then im hoping to go and get a new set of wheels. so should have a nice update and pics tomorrow. :dance:

had a pretty good journey down the M6 this morning, to MIJ performance. so far im very impressed with the service ive received. theyve got the truck on the ramps, and ive gone through it all with them, and shown them exactly what i want. the price has gone up slightly, as there charging me extra for a flexy piece in the downpipe. but they seem to know what there doing, and there showroom and customer waiting area is very comfortable. got free wifi and sky tv.
there only slight concern is if there will be enough clearance through the hole ive built into the bumper. so ive said if i have to, because the exhaust is rattling on the bumper, then i will alter the bumper if necessary.

there making it all out of 2.5" stainless and are fitting one silencer. they would have happily built it without the silencer, but i was concerned that i might have problems getting it on the road in OZ if theres no silencer. so there going to keep the silencer section as short as possible, and fit a flange on each end. so once its ont he road in OZ, if i want, i can replace the silencer with a piece of straight pipe. :thumbup:

http://www.mijperformance.com/

going to give silverline a call shortly and see if theyve got the wheels i want in stock. if they have, i will probably shoot down to warwick and get a set fitted. :dance:

http://www.silverlinewheels-tyres.com/4x4

Have you got anywhere with your insurance dude? We might have to have a whip round for you at this rate!!! :lol:

not yet man. if i get back before 5pm today i will make some calls, otherwise i will call around tomorrow morning. :thumbup:

i might find that i take it off the road, and find myself incredibly unhappy at not being able to drive it, and end up forking out a ridiculous amount of money to insure it, just so i can drive it. :lol:

dont want to though, because £1.70 per mile is crazy. i could get a taxi cheaper than that. :lol: :?

It'd do my nut having that on the drive & not being able to go out in it... Gerrit paid & carry on!!! :p

ben said:
dont want to though, because £1.70 per mile is crazy. i could get a taxi cheaper than that. :lol: :?
You're using the wrong units, you need to come at it from a different perspective, you should be looking at the £'s per smile, they're much more valuable ;)

Gav Peter said:
It'd do my nut having that on the drive & not being able to go out in it... Gerrit paid & carry on!!! :p

i know its not going to be easy, but its just such a big amount of money to fork out. especially when its going to cost me £7000 just to have a visa to emigrate, then ive got my flight, and container costs. so im looking at paying out 10k next year just to get to OZ with all my stuff.

then im going to need money to get my truck on the road, and money for a deposit on a house to rent, and money to support myself while i find work.

so really need to save as much as i can next year, and paying £1700 for car insurance wont help. :?

Jon Wildsmith said:
ben said:
You're using the wrong units, you need to come at it from a different perspective, you should be looking at the £'s per smile, they're much more valuable ;)

that is a very good point John, and one i hadnt thought of. :think:

I wonder if you can get a cheaper quote for 6 months insurance over the winter then get it off the road for the summer and start preping it for the trip to Oz :think: :)

Back