Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

All the above really, a cast sump really is inappropriate for the obvious reasons.

Nice update Ben, beast wishes to you all for 2017 :thumbup:

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

We dont want to keep Pete too long, even though he is turning into a lovely dog, we want to be able to help save other doggies.

Had he/she been another Border though, I think they would be staying! :shifty:

I did think of adding a bash plate Rich, but then I might not keep it too much longer. :think:

Its not a bad little car to drive, been very reliable, isnt worth much meaning I can park it any where and not have to worry about it and parts are easy and cheap to find. :)

But I want a duel cab 79 series and when I get one it will have to go! :icon-cool:

A spoon drain is a big concrete gutter along the edge of the road, designed to cope with the huge amounts of rain we some times get up here in Queensland. :ugeek:

Oops we were both writing at the same time Dave! :lol:

:thumbup:
Hi Ben I would Love to do the rear conversion from drum to disk like you have Donets my LJ 70 but I've been looking online for the brake callipers I need but can't find them could you maybe send me a link for the right ones I need to get to do the conversion thanks

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

We dont want to keep Pete too long, even though he is turning into a lovely dog, we want to be able to help save other doggies.

Had he/she been another Border though, I think they would be staying! :shifty:

I did think of adding a bash plate Rich, but then I might not keep it too much longer. :think:

Its not a bad little car to drive, been very reliable, isnt worth much meaning I can park it any where and not have to worry about it and parts are easy and cheap to find. :)

But I want a duel cab 79 series and when I get one it will have to go! :icon-cool:

A spoon drain is a big concrete gutter along the edge of the road, designed to cope with the huge amounts of rain we some times get up here in Queensland. :ugeek:
Just had a quick look and the only ones I could find were these ones in the States. :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARDONE-...926879?hash=item486b01d29f:g:KbgAAOSwDk5T2pNJ
hi Ben just had a look at them they don't look the same as the ones in your project are they the same

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah I'm pretty sure their the same ones I used. :think:

LJ78

OK, as some of you have seen, I've bought an LJ78 which is going to replace LJ for camping/touring/big trips as being a 5 door, 8 seater it will have a lot more room and be a lot more practical. :dance:

Obviously I can never part with LJ, so a plan has been formulated to swap LJ's body with the soft top one on my RJ70 chassis. LJ's 1KZ-T engine will be going in the new 78 and the Lexus V8 I've been fitting in the RJ chassis will go in LJ. :shifty:

So LJ will be turned into a fun weekend/beach car with a rare soft top body and that killer V8! :icon-twisted:

RJ will get sold off with LJ's old bruised and battered body and the 2lt engine out of the 78. :icon-cool:

So this leaves me with some what of a predicament as I had been documenting all the engine swap and body work on RJ in the RJ70 build thread, but now its going in/on LJ it needs to be documented here. :icon-confused:

I'm going to continue with the RJ70 build thread as I convert it back to a 2.4td and fit LJ's body to it as I get it ready for sale.

And this thread will continue with LJ getting a new body and engine, it just means the 2 threads will cross over a little bit to start with as bits get removed from one and swapped to the other. :|

One of the spare rooms has had to become a store room for RJ parts which will be going on LJ. :shifty:

IMG_5208_zpsylsa8vlq.jpg

And the soft top body on RJ is now looking quite naked.

IMG_5209_zps1tndopoq.jpg

IMG_5214_zpsqqt9jht9.jpg

To be true to LJ I've decided the soft top body needs to have the later square head light front end that LJ has always had and my Mrs declared it has to stay the same midnight blue colour. :icon-cool:

So I left the inner wheel arches fitted so I could try the other front panels on.

IMG_5215_zpsqbtek0my.jpg

I was a bit concerned that the bonnet might not fit properly against the scuttle panel at the top as I need to use the soft top one as the wiper arms are in a different position and there is cut outs for the windscreen hinges.

IMG_5216_zpshdqunxc7.jpg

IMG_5217_zpstvq4eyny.jpg

IMG_5218_zps0bc7hxel.jpg

Bolted the front guards on.

IMG_5220_zpsvjk41wuf.jpg

Followed by the bonnet.

IMG_5221_zpsmrdb98sy.jpg

And it all fits and works perfectly! :dance:

IMG_5222_zpslivscd40.jpg

Sadly I've found some rust in the body that I hadnt previously seen. :doh:

I knew there is a little bit of rust in the 32 year old body, so its not really a surprise to find more, but it will all need to be fixed.

Little bit here.

IMG_5210_zpsb7ujz9jy.jpg

IMG_5211_zpslqihdgre.jpg

Behind both lights.

IMG_5212_zps1cirxn43.jpg

IMG_5213_zpswh9tr2cj.jpg

A little bit in the firewall below the windscreen, a tiny bit in the floor pan and a rust bubble coming through in the windscreen frame below the screen, where they always go. :thumbdown:

At this stage I'm thinking of getting the whole body and all the doors and panels shot blasted and primed in 2 pack, then I can get all the rot cut out and new metal welded in, then get it all professionally re-sprayed in the LJ midnight blue colour. :icon-biggrin:

But first I need to get RJ sold to help pay for it all. :thumbup:

Wow, 3 months and no update on this thread! :shifty:

Lots has been happening, but I will keep it LJ related to start with.

LJ's old body got fitted to my RJ70 chassis, complete with the earlier front end with the round headlights.

IMG_6138_zpsy47f8w5t.jpg

IMG_6139_zpscmtawogo.jpg

IMG_6141_zpsym0ti1as.jpg

IMG_6140_zpsgnvlkiuc.jpg

IMG_6142_zpsxxzt9pei.jpg

That sold quite quickly and released some much needed funds for my LJ78 project. :dance:

LJ's chassis and engine got given a quick clean.

IMG_6047_zpspcav0gzf.jpg

And then pushed into the garage for the engine and transmission to be removed.

IMG_6049_zpseigiziun.jpg

IMG_6051_zps6luibvxl.jpg

IMG_6053_zpsljwpuhpx.jpg

LJ's old 1KZ-T engine has been fitted into the LJ78.

IMG_6327_zpskdc43qu0.jpg

And that vehicle is well on its way towards being finished and being ready to start doing some camping trips in. :dance:

Before the soft top body was removed from the RJ70 chassis I found some more rust. :doh:

I cleaned some of the bitumen off the inside of the floor pan.

IMG_5237_zps8uuvuuk5.jpg

Found a chisel and heat gun worked the best.

IMG_5244_zpsoqhftqla.jpg

Underneath some of the tar, I found a layer of fiberglass covering a hole. :doh:

IMG_5245_zpsv0xwj7wt.jpg

IMG_5246_zpsy3lec9hz.jpg

For now the soft top body has been lifted on to LJ's chassis.

IMG_6270_zpsyjnrexvv.jpg

IMG_6272_zpsyfifwjzy.jpg

IMG_6273_zps2awqbx9k.jpg

Heres a few more pics of the rot that needs cutting out and repairing.

Behind both lights.

IMG_6274_zpsv9iuhcf6.jpg

IMG_6275_zpsqsy6t2vs.jpg

And a few areas in the bulkhead.

IMG_6278_zps9vqvuwlv.jpg

IMG_6280_zpsb3kkwnnp.jpg

IMG_6279_zpscdkj52zj.jpg

And obviously the floor pan.

IMG_6276_zpsk1rgr4ye.jpg

For now the body has been covered with a tarp and as soon as the 78 is out of the garage I can get LJ in and make a start on all the repairs! :dance:

IMG_6281_zpsdpnzsqm6.jpg

IMG_6282_zps11axst9i.jpg

Last week I picked up the remains of an LJ70 body which has got a solid floor I can cut out to patch the soft top floor with.

9001_zpsuratvcys.jpg

And thats where I'm at with LJ.

My original plan was to build a rotisserie for the soft top body, to repair and paint it but time is running out now for my projects, so I'm thinking I will just repair it on the chassis. :think:

But first the body needs to come back off so the chassis can be cleaned up, repainted, have the transmission and 1UZ V8 engine fitted, then the body can go back on and be repaired and resprayed. :cool:

I've been out on the motorbike a few times.

Took it to QMP and my mate managed to stack it and break another clutch lever, then I hit a rock too hard and popped the front tyre. :doh:

Luckily the track sold inner tubes and it was soon repaired.

IMG_6026_zps4jk3famh.jpg

IMG_6029_zpsi0ecx42a.jpg

IMG_6030_zpsvi0tmidi.jpg

IMG_6031_zps8kuowjlz.jpg

IMG_6032_zps5wtteqof.jpg

Birds love motorbikes! :shifty:

IMG_6033_zpswjam9dcs.jpg

IMG_6036_zpsbkxj0dh7.jpg

Been out in my mates boat. :cool:

IMG_6412_zps6er86irq.jpg

IMG_6414_zpsitfkkdyl.jpg

IMG_6416_zpsknhqft72.jpg

IMG_6419_zpssn9jodln.jpg

We didnt catch much, but it was nice just to relax and have a few beers in the sun.

IMG_6422_zpslphsl7jt.jpg

IMG_6424_zps7c64e3lo.jpg

Lexi is going great and is still having regular play dates at the beach with her friend Lexy.

18254371_10154838845003509_1745655715_n_zpsdezexcov.jpg

18254165_10154838844883509_394658831_n_zpsizfvtjlt.jpg

18254047_10154838844908509_875875829_n_zpsrfissjvg.jpg

While on the subject of Lexi..........

She has something she would like to announce.

18301863_10154847380428509_6708503166615029673_n_zpsh0kmhfve.jpg

We're expecting a son this November! :happy-wavemulticol:

18301977_10154852951033509_1113971024041956783_n_zpswwb9cf5h.jpg

Which meant Bec needed a bigger, safer car.

We spotted this one.

18280875_10154838845808509_1158204014_n_zps73xf7cxz.jpg

An ex-display 6 month old Subaru XV with 5000k's on the clock. :icon-biggrin:

Picked it up last weekend.

18387353_10154856100038509_1145310851_n_zpswijyhekm.jpg

Getting all the windows tinted tomorrow, then I'd like to get a towbar and some roof bars for it. :icon-cool:

So in November the baby arrives and then in December we are buying our first house and moving.

So I've only got 6-7 months to have the 78 fully finished and on the road and I want LJ to be back together. Doesnt have to be drivable, but I want it fully assembled so I can at least put it on a trailer behind the 78 and move it to the new house. :think:

So lots of work ahead but lifes going great! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Congratulations to you & Becs on the announcement Ben, lovely news!!!

Congratulations to you both - great news!

Lots more new adventures and experiences coming up soon :)

All the best.

Brilliant, had to happen and pleased as punch for you both.

He will change your lives, and for the better.

Wonderful news, mucho congrats. :dance:

Congrats to you both on the beginning of a whole new chapter in life :thumbup:

Who is this guy Ben
img_6026_zps4jk3famh-jpg.126304.jpg

The reason i ask is i have quite a number of relatives in Oz who go by the name of Martin and for reasons unknown this pic brought Jy to mind who i haven't seen since he was about 5 years old so curiosity bites ?

Wow! Thanks guys. :thumbup:

We're both really excited and cant wait to meet him! :gay-male:

Bloody hell Ben. When did you find time to fit that in?? (Not literally :shifty:)
Congrats to you and Bec :thumbup:

:laughing-rolling: :thumbup:

Well it turns out all my years of partying didnt kill off all my sperm after all! Managed it on the first go, I couldnt believe it! :lol:

Hopefully the next couple are that easy to produce! :pray:

We'd like one of each but then I'd quite like a couple of boys as well, because boys do such stupid, dangerous things I think it would be nice to have a spare! :shifty:

Congrats to you both on the beginning of a whole new chapter in life :thumbup:

Who is this guy Ben
View attachment 126325

The reason i ask is i have quite a number of relatives in Oz who go by the name of Martin and for reasons unknown this pic brought Jy to mind who i haven't seen since he was about 5 years old so curiosity bites ?

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Thats Ben, a guy I grew up with and have been friends with for the past 20 years. He came over for our wedding and has been traveling around OZ ever since. As hes always been into motorbikes and has been racing motoX for the past 16 years I took him out for a day on the bikes. :icon-biggrin:

Congratulations mate. Have to agree boys do stupid things at times, we get kept very busy by Oscar!!

Reactions: Ben
Back