Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Sorry to hear the news Ben and keeping everything crossed. Any ideas what caused the stripped teeth?

Not sure Trev. Id have thought a CV or shaft would have given before a crown wheel. :think:

The pinion looks fine, no teeth missing at all. :icon-confused:

Thanks for the suggestion nlbyrne, but the teeth are cut the opposite way on the rear to the front. :doh:

Its possibly an option. :think:

Ive filled in 4 part finder websites, so hopefully I should get some scrap yards messaging and calling me tomorrow. Ive also messaged 4 or 5 people on ebay who are breaking LJ70's. Im going to call Westcoast tomorrow and see if theyve got any old axles or diffs.
Ive also posted wanted add's on 4 forums. :icon-cool:

Cant think of any other options? :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Here's the ToyoDiy parts model cross reference Ben;

Part 41201‑69345 (FINAL GEAR KIT, DIFFERENTIAL, FRONT) was found on the following models:
Date rangeModelFrames/OptionsFound in diagram
01/1990-07/2001TOYOTA LAND CRUISERBJ73,LJ7*,RJ7*,HZJ7*,PZJ7*,KZJ7*43-01: FRONT AXLE HOUSING & DIFFERENTIAL
Model Dates:Matching Models:Model Options:Links to diagrams:
01/1990-04/1993LJ70L-MRXWSTD, EUR, TP, LHD, 2LT, DSL43-0143-01
01/1990-04/1993LJ70LV-MEXWVX, EUR, HT, LHD, 2LT, DSL43-0143-01
05/1993-12/1994LJ70LV-MNXWLX, EUR, HT, LHD, 2LT, DSL43-0143-01
01/1990-04/1993LJ70LV-MRXWSTD, EUR, HT, LHD, 2LT, DSL43-0143-01
01/1990-04/1993LJ70RV-MEXWVX, EUR, HT, RHD, 2LT, DSL43-0143-01
01/1990-04/1993LJ70RV-MNXWLX, EUR, HT, RHD, 2LT, DSL43-0143-01
01/1990-04/1993LJ73LV-MEXWVX, EUR, HT, LHD, 2LT, DSL43-0143-01
05/1993-07/1994LJ73LV-MNXWLX, EUR, HT, LHD, 2LT, DSL43-0143-01
04/1990-04/1993LJ77LV-MNXWLX, EUR, HT, LHD, 2LT, DSL43-0143-01

Not as many options as when it was your rear one by the looks of things :(

Good luck with the search m8 :)

Last edited:
Thanks Steven. :thumbup:

John its 4.8. :icon-wink:

I did think of messaging you to see how much a new ring and pinion would be, but i guess it would be too much even with your discount. :think:

On that list youve posted Steven, it doesnt mention earlier LJ70's. The pre face lift models with the round headlights fit fine as thats what im currently running. 1989-1990 :think:

A new one would be loads of money and not here in time for your trip. I was just checking it wasn't a ratio I had gears for, which it isn't I'm afraid. Just Differentials probably have them but would again be loads of money and wouldn't get to you in time.

Hope you get it sorted Ben,:icon-biggrin:
Perhaps this time, it's just a bit too broken for you to even get fixed in such a short space of time.
I am more than sure you will root this, but time is against you for the next trip.:icon-cry:

Oh, you know when they checked your eyes, did they mention any thing about "depth of field", or perhaps it was "depth of mud or water", ??:lol:

What a bummer if your HIV test came back positive XD (Or is that negative? Depends on how you see it...)
Flucks sake Victor,
That's a bit left field.
Is it just me?

Not even nice to joke about that stuff.

Gra.

Last edited:
Hope you get it sorted Ben,:icon-biggrin:
Perhaps this time, it's just a bit too broken for you to even get fixed in such a short space of time.
I am more than sure you will root this, but time is against you for the next trip.:icon-cry:

Oh, you know when they checked your eyes, did they mention any thing about "depth of field", or perhaps it was "depth of mud or water", ??:lol:

:lol:

I know its going to take a miracle Gra, but im still hopeful. :pray:

If I can locate the part, and it cant be couriered to me in time, hopefully I will be able to persuade my mate to drive through the night to get it, and I would then work all night, not sleep and then go to work the next day if it means getting the truck fixed and on this trip.

It all rests on getting the part in time. :icon-biggrin:

One of the ebay breakers has got back in touch saying he hasnt got one. :icon-cry:

But ive had some one message me on another forum, replying to my wanted add, saying theyve got one. :think:

Will call them this morning and find out where they are and how much they want for it. :pray:

Flucks sake Victor,
That's a bit left field.
Is it just me?

Not even nice to joke about that stuff.

Gra.

I think its been taken out of context Gra. :think:

I mentioned that my visa now all rests on the HIV results and x-ray results. :pray:

Its unlikely I will have an issue with either of them, but you never know. :?

Hope it's going alright Ben, reckon you must be burning some workshop time for the weekend, keep working that magic :tools-wrench::tools-wrench::tools-wrench::techie-studyingbro::tools-hammer:

If anything is located manchester way mate i will be going there tomoz or thursday if you want it dragging back to mine.

Im pulling out all the stops Trev, as youd expect! :icon-cool:

Thanks Karl, but im hoping im sorted. :pray:

I called Westcoat and they didnt have a diff lying around anywhere. :thumbdown:

Then some one got in touch via one of the forums and a deal was done for a complete axle to be sent to me. But after transferring the money I didnt hear anything for 18 hours, and when the guy did finally answer his phone he said it still hadnt been picked up by the courier. Smelling a rat I ordered a diff from some one breaking one on ebay. :icon-rolleyes:

I will have to wait and see if this now surplus axle turns up, or whether I will get my money back. :x

The ebay one should be here today. :pray:

Last night I degreased and cleaned all the axle parts, so there all now ready to go back on.

P1000021.jpg

P1000022.jpg

The part of the ARB air locker that connects the copper air pipe to the locker had been sheared off inside the diff. :thumbdown:

Devon 4x4 called the UK importer to try and order me another one, only to find there out of stock and will be till January. They then also called a few European importers, but it was the same story there. :icon-mad

I asked if they would take one out of an unsold locker, but they wouldnt. :icon-confused:

So im going to have to fix the broken one myself. :icon-smile:

P1000023.jpg

P1000024.jpg

Old one was brazed on.

P1000025.jpg

A bit of heat and it pulled straight out.

P1000026.jpg

P1000027.jpg

Ive ordered some copper tube which will hopefully be the right size. Also ordered some brazing rods. :pray:

I was touched when another 70 series owner on this forum PM'd me to say:-

you could nick my diff if u wanted for the trip:eusa-think:, only problem is you would have to come and dismantle it yourself (working nights:(). I can do without my 70 for the next two weeks really as I only live down the road for work....:icon-biggrin:...So long as you can put it back together within a few weeks, I honestly wouldn't mind

I thought that was a very kind offer, especially off some one ive never met. :clap: :icon-biggrin:

Ben,
Your a good guy, and have many friends on this forum.
Many people are rooting for you to get the parts you need.
It is heart warming to hear that members will go to great extreme to help if they can.:clap:

Gra.

That certainly was a very kind offer from a complete stranger Ben :thumbup: I really don't know how you manage to get so much work done on your truck, are your days longer than ours. :think:

That certainly was a very kind offer from a complete stranger Ben :thumbup: I really don't know how you manage to get so much work done on your truck, are your days longer than ours. :think:
Well I know he was posting very early this morning, as I am some thing like 8 hours ahead,
Was it like 05:15 Ben's first post today.?
Ben don't wear yourself out!
Sure your still young, but even you must get tired.

Gra.

Back