Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Why do you want a grab handle? is yours missing or broken?

I was intending on fitting it to the passenger side, but on removal of the headlining material, it doesn't look like there's any threaded lugs/captive nuts. :doh:

I might still fit it, just drill and rivnut some holes for it first. :think:

Ive been after another of those grab handles for a while because most passengers have difficulty getting in and out of my truck, I couldnt work out why they struggled and I could just hop in until I realised the 2 grab handles on the passenger side are in entirely the wrong places to help you swing up and into the seat whereas the one on the A-pillar on the drivers side is perfectly positioned.

Im pretty sure I can feel holes under the lining on the passenger pillar for fitting a handle there but like you say if they are missing Id just drill and rivnut them.

She was in near perfect condition 2 years ago. Until the red mist came over. Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 253
She was a fine looking 70 Rich. :clap:

Shame she ended up so battered really. :icon-cry:

But im guessing you had a lot of fun, and at least its not just getting weighed in as scrap, and has gone on to help keep mine on the road. :icon-cool:

Ive been busy filling and sanding the dents on the roof. All 7 of them. :shock:

Hoping to weld it on next weekend. :dance:

Ben ! Jeeze youre lucky on that one looks like you were stopped from rolling anymore by some bushes on the mountain side.

Main thing is mate you got out unhurt ! And what amazes me the most is you all get it back to useable condition and carry on !

The whole trip made for a good read though looks like you still had a good crack despite your mishap.

Let me know if there any bits you might get stuck for may be able to help ;-).

Was at the corwen carwash a couple of weekends ago looked to high and fast so we didnt cross.

Hope the repairs are progressing well Ben !

Thanks Shaun. :thumbup:

You know me mate, I dont give up easily! :icon-cool:

OK thanks, I was going to give you a shout to see if you had a roof. But then Rich got in touch with me to say hed got one. :icon-smile:

Ive turned around at the Corwen Carwash a few times as it looked too deep and fast. :icon-wink:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Where do I start with this?

First, good that no one was hurt in the roll, very lucky.

Next, lets just have a look at the utter stupidity involved in this little trip.

1), not keeping to the main track
2) pulling trees out of the ground
3) driving lanes in the dark
4) cutting down trees
5) driving through deep fast flowing water when you have no idea of the depth

and last - moderators not passing comment or removing images.

We wonder why there is such a huge movement to close lanes. Is it any wonder when reading about the utterly moronic behaviour exhibited by the likes of the people on this outing? Who thought it was a good idea to post pictures of this idiocy? Or do it in the first place? Have you any idea what will happen if the antis get hold of these images? I mean really? This just shows a bunch of utterly irresponsible, selfish people leaving a trail of damage. And before anyone questions the manner in which I write this, you should know that your numberplates are visible in a number of the shots. You are open to criminal damage charges if the wrong people see this. Did you even consider that? I strongly suggest that this whole thread is removed pronto, and those involved have a good think about exactly what went on here on what you would do in future. I can't believe that no one has made any negative comment about this, I'm just baffled and horrified.

I'm not any kind of killjoy, far from it, but I want to use the lanes in the future, and all this behaviour does is jeopordise all our uses of them. Where is the respect for the environment? Your own well being? Just amazed by the stupidity of this.

Didn't realise that driving along public rights of way at night was an offence:?

Mike, you have to accept that accidents will happen. We all make mistakes, fact. The damage associated with getting Ben's car back on on the road was minimal given the situation. If he used a recovery company would there be any less damage?

Not keeping to the track? Not sure where you saw that, but if you are referring to the accident then surely everyone that has an accident and ends up on private property should be prosecuted for trespassing:think:

Cutting down trees? Not going to comment as I was not there other than I have not seen a picture of someone cutting down a tree.

Been to the pub by any chance today Mike? :mrgreen:

Didn't realise that driving along public rights of way at night was an offence:?

Mike, you have to accept that accidents will happen. We all make mistakes, fact. The damage associated with getting Ben's car back on on the road was minimal given the situation. If he used a recovery company would there be any less damage?

Not keeping to the track? Not sure where you saw that, but if you are referring to the accident then surely everyone that has an accident and ends up on private property should be prosecuted for trespassing:think:

Cutting down trees? Not going to comment as I was not there other than I have not seen a picture of someone cutting down a tree.

Been to the pub by any chance today Mike? :mrgreen:

There are a number of images which show vehicles not on the main track - nothing to do with the rolled vehicle, the shots are both earlier and later. Possible charges come from the criminal damage of the trees, and I see that you have now blanked out your numberplates, so at least that's one thing which may go some way to protecting yourselves if this thread does get in the hands of those who look to remove us from the lanes.

You can't say "would there have been any less damage.." etc. There was damage, fact. If you couldn't recover the vehicle without causing damage like that, then you have no business being out there whatsoever. Your recovery "techniques" were flawed and dangerous (judging by the images) and if you can't take on board my original points and make comments such as your last about "been to the pub", then there is little hope in you and your friends changing your behaviour. Finally, to say "accidents happen" is a little naive as well. If you roll a vehicle on a UK green lane then as before, you have no business being there. I doubt you'll listen to this but I would strongly suggest that you have some offroad driver training, training in recovery techniques, and actually start to respect the places you want to go. I am disgusted by this thread, and your flippant attitude towards the points made. In fact I'm not sure which is more disgusting, the behaviour itself, the lack of any negative comment (until mine) or the fact that no moderator saw to delete it and have a word with you privately.

I'm not going to enter into a debate about this, there is no defence here. It would just be good if you took this on board and acted accordingly.

Hello Mike,

You may have valid comments, you may not.
What I do hear is that you have been the first to complain.
This kind of puts you in the minority of (1)

Gra.

Mike, I feel I have to make a couple of comments on this thread. I participated on this this trip and would like to address your points one by one if I may.

Each and every track on this trip was a legal right of way to motor vehicles, the routes were researched and navigation aided by Memory Map to ensure this was the case. I ask that you determine why you think this was not the case.

The tree that was pulled from the ground during the recovery was not an intentional act and once the situation was identified, measures were put in place to minimise further damage by spreading the load across additional load points further up the hill. In a recovery situation such as this, even the pros use the same techniques. Seriously, what would you have done in the same situation? Lets not get trippy with Hindsight and it's power, all of us have learnt lessons from this.

To my knowledge, there is no law in driving a legal road or byway after sunset unless lights on the vehicle are not used, otherwise nobody could use the motorway or other rights of way at night. Please educate us all where the Law stipulates that this is not the case.

No trees were cut down, the tree used for firewood was already fallen and retrieved from the forest floor and dragged to the campsite before it was cut to provide firewood.

Both river crossings were done with previous knowledge of that particular crossing, all of us crossed the first one based on experience, the second cossing was done by Ben as he made a judgement call on previous experience. The rest of the group, not having the same experience decided not to cross. Hardly a foolhardly approach.

I am disappointed that you feel that the accident means none of the group should have been on green lanes, Ben has a number of years experience in this sport and his circumstances were a genuine accident, maybe you have never had an incident on public roads in your driving career to date, but when anyone has a situation develop it can be for a whole host of reasons. None are intended but as humans, human error will eventually catch up with us at some point, does this mean that we should never be allowed to drive again? A bit draconian in my view.

You appear to be very quick to comment on a trip based on the images and dialogue alone, you have no knowledge of the planning involved, the experience of the participants or an appreciation of the factors taken into consideration before decisions were made during a difficult real world situation, I urge you to revisit the thread and information available to you and actually put yourself in the shoes of the people on the trip, I believe your views would be more balanced and less
of a knee jerk reaction.

Last edited:
That's a great reply Trevor,

Wish I could write like that.

Gra.

WTF Mike? :icon-rolleyes:

Mike, I feel I have to make a couple of comments on this thread. I participated on this this trip and would like to address your points one by one if I may.

Each and every track on this trip was a legal right of way to motor vehicles, the routes were researched and navigation aided by Memory Map to ensure this was the case. I ask that you determine why you think this was not the case.

The tree that was pulled from the ground during the recovery was not an intentional act and once the situation was identified, measures were put in place to minimise further damage by spreading the load across additional load points further up the hill. In a recovery situation such as this, even the pros use the same techniques. Seriously, what would you have done in the same situation? Lets not get trippy with Hindsight and it's power, all of us have learnt lessons from this.

To my knowledge, there is no law in driving a legal road or byway after sunset unless lights on the vehicle are not used, otherwise nobody could use the motorway or other rights of way at night. Please educate us all where the Law stipulates that this is not the case.

No trees were cut down, the tree used for firewood was already fallen and retrieved from the forest floor and dragged to the campsite before it was cut to provide firewood.

Both river crossings were done with previous knowledge of that particular crossing, all of us crossed the first one based on experience, the second cossing was done by Ben as he made a judgement call on previous experience. The rest of the group, not having the same experience decided not to cross. Hardly a foolhardly approach.

I am disappointed that you feel that the accident means none of the group should have been on green lanes, Ben has a number of years experience in this sport and his circumstances were a genuine accident, maybe you have never had an incident on public roads in your driving career to date, but when anyone has a situation develop it can be for a whole host of reasons. None are intended but as humans, human error will eventually catch up with us at some point, does this mean that we should never be allowed to drive again? A bit draconian in my view.

You appear to be very quick to comment on a trip based on the images and dialogue alone, you have no knowledge of the planning involved, the experience of the participants or an appreciation of the factors taken into consideration before decisions were made during a difficult real world situation, I urge you to revisit the thread and information available to you and actually put yourself in the shoes of the people on the trip, I believe your views would be more balanced and less
of a knee jerk reaction.

:text-goodpost:

Extremely well put Trevor, sensible, calm and to the point. :thumbup:

On a thread that is all about responsibility, ingenuity, dedication and perserverance... this finger wagging turn is very disappointing.

I have not said anything before, but the only problem I could see is the group size.

I have laned at night, I have used fallen tree as fire wood and I have slid off of a road (a tarmaced road at that) and used trees at recovery points.

Now this is after over 20 years of offroading/laneing. I am also a qualified LANTRA winch and offroad person. I also teach people how to drive off road.

Paul

Edit to add,

I have done the river crossing when it was a lot deeper!! (the one next to the foot bridge). ;)

Oh yes, I use to do Recovery for a Living.

Last edited:
There are a number of images which show vehicles not on the main track - nothing to do with the rolled vehicle, the shots are both earlier and later.
Can't see any TBH apart from Ben accidentally rolling off the track. Maybe you could point us in the right direction?

You can't say "would there have been any less damage.." etc. There was damage, fact. If you couldn't recover the vehicle without causing damage like that, then you have no business being out there whatsoever. Your recovery "techniques" were flawed and dangerous (judging by the images) and if you can't take on board my original points and make comments such as your last about "been to the pub", then there is little hope in you and your friends changing your behaviour. Finally, to say "accidents happen" is a little naive as well. If you roll a vehicle on a UK green lane then as before, you have no business being there. I doubt you'll listen to this but I would strongly suggest that you have some offroad driver training, training in recovery techniques, and actually start to respect the places you want to go. I am disgusted by this thread, and your flippant attitude towards the points made. In fact I'm not sure which is more disgusting, the behaviour itself, the lack of any negative comment (until mine) or the fact that no moderator saw to delete it and have a word with you privately.

I am sure that a 15 ton Hiab recovery truck would have caused a lot more damage to the lane, that is if it managed to get up there. Are you proposing Ben should have used a helicopter in hindsight? The next time someone runs into the back of you I would urge you to get the police on the scene and use the same logic as you have here: "if he/she can't stop before he/she rear ends my car then they have no business being here, I demand you ban them from driving along (insert road classification type where the accident happened)". I am sure your attitude will be commended.

It is difficult to take your comments seriously Mike because they are very irrational and without and substantial evidence, hence my "flippant attitude". TBH the only valid point may have made so far is about the tree that was dragged back to camp. Not sure why you are asking me (or Ben or any other participants on the trip it's not clear who you are directing your comments at) to seek some offroad training. For your information I have been on a Lantra approved off road recovery course and been taught how to drive off road by an approved Lantra instructor. Seeing as you brought up this subject, how much training have you had? All I have done is pointed out that you have no rational reason to be accusing the people on this trip of being "utterly irresponsible, utterly moronic and selfish".

Due to the nature of the post and it being posted on late Friday night I have made a few assumptions and asked if you had been to the pub, not too dissimilar to what you have done other than I asked if it were true before accusing you of being to the pub.

Last edited:
I can only speak from my own experience as r-o-w rep for a LR club in the early 90's, but we recomended 3 or 4 vehicles max per group - this was because we knew that a common 'anti' argument was of 'convoys of 4x4's wrecking the countryside', so we encouraged smaller groups - difficult to stop bunching on slow lanes on a single track I understand, but part of the planning process for the trip.

My only other thought would be that maybe the trips reports could be on a different thread, and Bens ongoing battle with mechanical demons / aussie adventure be on a different thread to his pronlems with gravity....:icon-cool:

Pete

Mmmmm...........I do think that it's a shame when we have this type of bickering between ourselves that in my opinion only serves to strengthen the position of the red sock community far more so than few miss interpreted photos and comments. They say a photo says a thousand words and they may well do so, but not all of those words are accurate without the knowledge of what preceded that captured moment.

For example reading your comment here Mike http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/44102-Lake-District-Green-lane-issue

...............just used the front because my rear locker is knackered and Karl hasn't found me a used one yet :lol:

I had to give it some gas to get up, and it was a bit bouncy. Next day in Yorkshire I went up the first lane and the steering went a little odd :cool: :lol:

Turns out that one of the studs from the swivel housing base had fallen out, and the other had sheared, so oil all over, day over. I suspect I sheared the stud on stile end actually, and the other just vibrated out the next day.

That rock stp by the gate is definitely harder as well, the base is all washed out. Also the bit we're talking about above is mauch harder this year. Last year my 80 just walked up it with no drama.....................................
Hardly reads in a tread lightly manner does it?! Could I ask what you did about the axle oil that you spilt into the environment? Do you think that this spillage would have happened if you were perhaps a little more prepared for the trip in term of maintaining your vehicle or if perhaps you had not had such a give it some beans gun hoe approach to the situation due to your vehicle not having a rear locker?! Actually I'm not really interested in your answer I'm sure you did what you felt was appropriate at the time and whom am I to comment as I wasn't there :icon-smile: :icon-wink:

I couldn't help noticing that you have an interest in motorbikes also :icon-biggrin: Me to I've been a biker for many years and so found this video of yours very interesting :icon-smile:

http://vimeo.com/53261952

I was surprised how fast you were travelling along at considering how many other potential users there could be on the lane!! Just my opinion though :icon-biggrin: :icon-wink: Then at 45 seconds in, when the lead biker leaves the trail and comes off his bike!! Why was that do think :think: Mechanicle failiure, excessive speed, lack of ability, who knows :icon-smile: I was surprised that the chap on the camera bike just laughed at his situation instead of getting off to see if he was OK and help him up with his bike as he was clearly shook up and in some pain. Again in my opinion he should have stopped and had a brew at least some time out to recover maybe.

I was also surprised by the speed that the chap in the LandRover in this video of yours took off up the snow covered lane with what looks to me to be about 8/10 meters of strop flailing around behind the vehicle!!! Really very dangerous and irresponsible in my opinion!!!

http://vimeo.com/8420621

There's also this chap chucking his vehicle up this snow covered lane giving it the beans as you say looking to me to be lucky to be keeping it it in a straight line considering the conditions. This could have easily turned into quite a seriouse accident at any moment in my opinion :icon-smile: :icon-wink:

http://vimeo.com/36416843

All of this is just my opinion of course, if I'd been there myself I'm sure I'd be viewing all of these situations in a different way :whistle: :icon-biggrin: :icon-wink:

Last edited:
Back