Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 snorkel

revs4x4

noticed an ad on fleabay regarding snorks for the landcruiser. He didn't have one listed for my LJ70 so I asked him if he could source one, this is the reply

"Hi and thanks for your interest. I am led to believe that there are no snorkels available for the LJ70, from research it appears that they have been modified from the 71, 73, 75, 78 & 79 series. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance. Regards, 4WD Team- 4wd-expeditions"

Is this true? and what mods would be required?

Ceirion

the snorkel will be the correct angle for the windscreen, and will be the right profile where it mounts onto the wing.

but...........................where it comes through the inner wing is not the correct place for the air intake on the LJ70/LJ78.

you will need to cut/hole saw another hole in your inner wing, and then use some rubber hose to connect it to your air box.

theres a few pics of mine on my build thread below:-

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11591

i went for an ironman one from westcoast, and it cost me £187.

there is one company that does make and sell a snorkel for a LJ70/78 that will fit straight on. it even has a side repeater built in, but IIRC westcoast wanted £450! :shock:

its made by BIT and i think there a dutch company. :thumbup:

£450's a bit on the heavy side :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I'll give the company a bell back asking for prices.

cheers for the reply Ben

Ceirion

I asked the guys at alien snorkels when i was lookin for one for mine ... but they said they couldn't get hold of them ..

i found a new one on ebay in the end .. in malasia for £160 delivered

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
buying cheap ones from Malaysia is ok, but dont expect them to be any where near as strong as the proper ones.

this was a cheap one after a slight confrontation with a tree. :thumbdown:

IMG_3404.jpg

i had an accident a few years ago on my way to work in my modified suzuki, and after rolling down a country lane 3 times my snorkel was still intact and perfectly usable, if not a little scratched from the impacts with the tarmac. :)

heres Trevor's thread from when he fitted his ironman snorkel.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12154

alternatively you could have an internal snorkel, like Roger. :)

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12630

In fairness to that cheap snorkel, it looks like the same tree also dented the genuine Toyota-built door......

:D

ben said:
this was a cheap one after a slight confrontation with a tree. :thumbdown:

IMG_3404.jpg

Ben, that pic's gonna haunt me for the rest of my days :(

TBH I don't think "slight" is the word... if it wasn't for that snorkel being in the way I'm sure I'd have lost my windscreen :?

wobbly said:
In fairness to that cheap snorkel, it looks like the same tree also dented the genuine Toyota-built door......

:D

It certainly did, it jumped out at me at quite a speed. In fact it hit me so hard I was wondering how the windscreen pillar didn't bend :shock: I can only assume that the snorkel absorbed the worst of the energy. This snorkel is one of the RV4x4 chinese made safari copies, they claim to use the same grade plastics and have vids on their website of people driving over them, completely flattening them, then popping back to shape afterwards as though nothing had happened. It cost £170~£180 iirc, so cheap, but not that cheap. I have had the truck leaning on it against rocks and driven against it before when laning and it's been fine, barely scratched. I think the shock impact is what cracked this one, and I believe the same would have happened to most snorkels.

For now it has been repaired with duct tape, and i will do my utmost to make sure no more trees jump out at me :shifty:

The Safari on my old 80 could be really bent over and squashed flat and it would just pop back into more or less the right shape. The top got a little bit out of shape and the grill was knackered but only cos I drove over it a few times when it got ripped off :lol: I don't think it would have mattered how hard I hit it, it wouldn't have cracked like that Jim :(

TBH Jim i wasnt there where you damaged it. i just presumed as it was a cheaper one, then it cant have been hit very hard. but as its supposedly made of the same stuff as the safari ones, and theyve got vids to back up the strength, then maybe it is as good as the normal OZ made ones. :thumbup:

i know there are cheap ones out there made of fibre glass being sold. :thumbdown:

my safari one took so much abuse, and always popped back into shape afterwards.

even the head which was badly bent after my roll, soon returned to shape with the use of a heat gun. :lol:

Lol that's nice going. Perhaps a Safari would have been okay, but a Safari costs £300-£400, this one was half that and I can only expect to get what I pay for.

I was tackling a steep climb at Lincomb when this happened; I went too fast on the wrong line and bounced off a rock step. The front bounced into the air and as the back axle caught up with the step it swung me round into the tree. [strike:2ho0t37d]I hit the tree[/strike:2ho0t37d] the tree hit me before the front wheels hit the floor. There was enough force for me to involuntarily bang my head hard on the window :oops: hopefully it's knocked some sense into me though :lol:

I need to speak to Tony, there were non of those signs in sight! :evil:

:p

Back