Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Suspension Comfort

emrahdeniz

Country Flag
turkey
Hi to everyone,

I know that I cannot get a 100 series out of 70 bit how can I increase ride comfort of my 1989 LJ70?

I changed the front damper but nothing changed.

Especially the rear suspension is terrible on bumps. The car shakes as if there is no suspension.

I heard some people have put 80 series springs both to iincrease comfort and give a lift.

I also tried lowering pressure of tires, ot helped a little bit.

What is your suggestion?

Sent from my SM-N9000Q using Tapatalk

Iron man 2" springs and shocks made my lj a lot more comfy but that's just my opinion :)

I find Monroe +2" shocks and springs very soft .

The new Terrain Tamer suspension kits would be my recommendation.

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about them in the 70 section. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Seems that I should spend some more money ;)

Sent from my SM-N9000Q using Tapatalk

Did you get the new suspensions @emrahdeniz?
I got myself a 'new' 1988 LJ70 recently. The ride quality was ok in the city streets, but it was horrible driving down roads with potholes. I went on a short trip and it was like sitting inside a rattlebox the entire time. I came in here to see if anyone had a similar problem / solutions. Would appreciate some advice!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
SuryaG.

Assuming new shockers don't help, which would be my first call, it might be that your present springs are weak and worn out with the longer leaves no longer supporting the weight of the vehicle so the progressively stiffer sections of the springs are in use all the time hence the crashing ride.
Ideally when empty there wants to be daylight showing between the spring slats.

Thanks @Juddian. But I don't have leaf springs, only coil springs.
Why do you assume new shockers won't help? If I replace the coil springs along with the shockers, will it significantly improve ride quality? Should I go for aftermarket shocks instead of originals for a softer ride? How much will new tyres help?
Am quite new to this whole thing and not very mechanically inclined, so please excuse any newbie questions and thanks in advance for the help!

I assumed your vehicle would be on leaf springs, my 70 was also on coils all round and despite it being a SWB benefitted from a very comfortable ride.

I'm not assuming new shockers won't help, that was purely a turn of phrase, to be more clear i should have said i would try new shockers first as they are fairly cheap and easy to fit, if no improvement then look at the leaf springs, but leaf springs don't apply here.

Anyone's guess whether the coils are originals, someone might have fitted heavier duty stiffer springs and/or shockers at some point in the past, all you can do is judge the ride height and how easy or not it is to 'bounce' the truck, hopefully comparing with another similar vehicle with a known decent ride quality.

Tyre wise, is the vehicle still on 15" wheels, if the original wheels have been changed to 16" or above then less tyre profile to absorb bumps, on that note tyre pressures correct?

Thanks @Juddian what you're saying makes a lot of sense.
I was worried because since this is my first truck of its kind, I did not even have a baseline to say if this was the normal or if the ride was really bad. Since you started off by saying yours was a comfortable ride, I'm hopeful that with some time and effort (and expenses!!) I can get mine to be a pleasurable driving experience.
So if I get my shocks and coils sorted, with the right tyre pressure, I should have a fairly comfortable ride when I'm driving back country roads with gravel and potholes, right? I'm not expecting Lexus sedan ride quality, but at least something where I don't have to slow down to 10 km/h for the slightest bump.
Again, thanks for taking the time to answer. Much appreciated!!

Have you driven around with any weight in your truck or passengers give it a go if your vehicle is a bit easier softer over the rough roads the it might be heavy duty springs and would suggest to have a good look at the shocks for leaks wetness around the top of the shocks

Yup. Driven around with 4 people in the truck, no change. I just tightened all the nuts and bolts I could see, will take it out for a spin again to see if the rattling is reduced. Will definitely need to look into the coils and shocks though

Get the vehicle weight done properly, think about what load you will carry on what sort of roads and then buy shocks accordingly.

For the rattling, you are driving a 35year old vehicle, how well it's been maintained and what sort of work it's done is going to have an impact on the bodywork etc.

If you got it from the mines, where it's been run ragged or from a tourist company that rented it out.... Consider needing to re-establish a baseline!

Back