Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Llangollen steps.

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
Out at the weekend green laning around Llangollen.

The mighty 80 sorting out the " steps". Pulled over pretty well with the front diff locked.

347631102_240402278922074_8956860821141761877_n.jpg

This is what it looked like from the other side.

347618422_240402325588736_5180669944094211576_n.jpg

Another Collie scrambling over.

349008100_240402428922059_7920397959628968132_n.jpg

I drove down them in my Hilux when it was factory new… the bash guards took a beating and towbar.….
fitted Asfir plates and ARB receiver bumper not long afterwards and BFG AT tyres

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
TBH that looks like most of our local roads...... probably better once to climbed the step

Not unlike Washgate at Hollinsclough before the NIMBY's got it closed to traffic.:rage:

Hi Dave,

The rear has had a tendency to stick sometimes so I've disconnected it for the time being whereas the front works perfectly. Its useful when needing to have full traction pulling over obstructions when facing uphill when the rear has all the weight transfer and pretty much has good traction anyway.

I knew something wasn't right, just my curiosity. :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave.

Hi Dave,

The rear has had a tendency to stick sometimes so I've disconnected it for the time being whereas the front works perfectly. Its useful when needing to have full traction pulling over obstructions when facing uphill when the rear has all the weight transfer and pretty much has good traction anyway.
Careful, that front diff was never intended to carry the full weight of the truck alone. Granted you have some forward propulsion from the rear, but I wouldn't get too crazy till you get that rear lock sorted.
Nice rig, btw. :thumbup:

Careful, that front diff was never intended to carry the full weight of the truck alone. Granted you have some forward propulsion from the rear, but I wouldn't get too crazy till you get that rear lock sortrd.

Whilst the high pinion design of the front differential is weaker than the rear, I think breakages are more about abuse or lack of experience. The weakness is actually more pronounced when in reverse, going forward the pinion is drawn into the crown wheel, in reverse it is pushed outwards if you get what I mean?

Regards

Dave.

Careful, that front diff was never intended to carry the full weight of the truck alone.

Yep, as Dave pointed out, I'm aware of the front diff high pinion design shortcomings as compared with the rear. That said, they are still very strong and, with the cushioning effect of the autobox I've never damaged a front diff in 26 years of continuous 80 ownership, although saying that will probably be the "kiss of death" for it next time out :D.

That said, they are still very strong and, with the cushioning effect of the autobox I've never damaged a front diff in 26 years of continuous 80 ownership, although saying that will probably be the "kiss of death" for it next time out :D.
Indeed they are very strong compared to other available rigs out there. Just mentioning as some guys here will mod to engage lockers independently and it doesn't always work well with just the front diff pulling the truck over a 10 ft rock just to say "they could".

Hopefully no kiss o death. :thumbup: Happy trails!

Back