Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Locking axles

Dan88

Garage
Hi, I have a swb 90 its an import with no diff locking features...
Can I use a lwb axle or diff with the associated parts/ switches and fit them to my swb? Any info would be a great help!

yes if ratio's are the same, isnt as easy as fit as you may think though, it would need some electrical work to make it function correctly

I'm an electrician so can handle basic electrics :-$
how do I find out the ratios are they stamped on the diffs?
I know I need-
•diff
•dash switch
Anything else??

on diff casing

I think it just has a timed feed for in and out it doesnt stay live, just use a carling double rocker switch

in my lc90s i found a wee black box marked diff lock its situated inside the pasenger side rear panel at the foot well this is prob the timer if you think you need it let me know pm me your address and il send it to you :thumbup: ive got three of them

Thanks Pete, I'll have a look this weekend and let you know. Much appreciated for all the help

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Any good ? any help?
[attachment=0:1s7frn9h]AVM.jpg[/attachment:1s7frn9h]
Manual Locking hubs

Gra.

Attachments

• AVM.jpg
    AVM.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 276
I'm guessing they are free wheeling hubs? Thanks, but that's not what I'm after. I want the rear diff, an electronic one or LSD

Doesnt the import 90 come with a lsd in the rear?

Yeah I found that too, I've been quieted under £500 for a rear axle complete and switches for the dash.
I wonder what would be better a LSD or switched locker?
And is there a standard loom to connect to or do I have to wire my own?

ypur LC probably already has a LSD diff.

you can test by jacking up the back axle to lift both back wheels off ground.
chock front wheels
make sure handbrake off, gearbox in neutral and transfer
and turn one back wheel by hand, if the wheel on opposite end of axle rotates the same direction you have an LSD diff,
if it rotates the opposite direction, its an open diff

but a true locker usual performs better and the toyota LSD clutch plates are often shot by 60k miles, so the LSD doesnt work anymore

Have a look at the front diff, there shoud be a white sticker on the long extension that says R16 or R17 that will tell you the correct ratio diff you need for the rear one.
R16 is 4.100 R17 is 4.300

Dan88 said:
Yeah I found that too, I've been quieted under £500 for a rear axle complete and switches for the dash.
I wonder what would be better a LSD or switched locker?
And is there a standard loom to connect to or do I have to wire my own?
With out a shadow of a doubt the switched locker.

But are you sure its an "either or" and not both?
The Land Cruiser 120 series have the LSD and the locker so the best of both worlds.
OK, I guess after my star ship miles, the LSD might be past it's best.

If there was an option, then I would go for the full locked diff, when the going got tough.

Gra.

I know it been a while since I last posted, but getting stuff together now for fitting a locking rear diff.
I know I need the dash switch-
ygurysy5.jpg

And a axles that has a locking diff-
qu6uvaze.jpg

And these are in hand from the crap yard, while I'm negotiating is there anything else I should try to get?
I'm going to ask if they will try to supply some wiring loom, ie. follow the plug from the actuator hopefully to the switch.
I know also new the black box that's behind the rear pannel on the passenger side?
Any other bits?

I know it's the same question but can I swap the e-locking diff for a non locking using the non locking axle?

Back