Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Locking diffs

dunk1

Country Flag
great_britain
Can someone tell me what the set up on 55 reg LC3 is regarding
the diffs.

Thanks

You should have a centre diff that should show hl/ll on the transfer lever and then when its in ll you should have a dial switch that activates the rear diff lock and you will get a steady light up on the dash.

Thanks for the reply, i'm reading the rear diff is LSD and then lockable with 50/50
split to the front and 60/40 when its not locked

Interestingly, I had an LC3 and it definitely said lockable rear diff AND LSD. But I never saw any signs of that. I did wonder if they meant that it had a centre viscous coupling.

in normal driving the drive is split 60/40 with the 60 to the rear, when you lock the centre diff its then 50/50 is your LC3 a uk version? if it is, it should have a locking rear diff. im not sure if its got a rotary switch like the colorado or a button. im sure the others will come along soon and clarify this.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Which only works in low range and when the centre is locked which it does automatically as you move to low box. Pushing the small lever forward one stage locks the centre in high range on the move. But the question here on the LC3 is over whether it has a rear LSD too. It definetley has a locker on the UK version, but as I said. My brochure also said rear LSD as well. This was specific to the LC£. The 4 and 5 did NOT have this in the spec at the back of the brochure

Thanks for all the replies guys, i'm pretty sure ive seen the rotary
switch to the left of the steering column so will have a look today.

60/40 split in normal use and 50/50 in low range with the option of locking
the rear diff is my summary of the cars set up with the rear diff possibly
being lsd in normal use.

Exactly that Dunk as you first posted. It's just that we don't know the truth behind the LSD. Very difficult to see that Mr T fitted both in the axle and I don't recall seeing an LSD oil sticker on the casing which is what they normally do. This would in effect be a totally unique diff just for the LC3, which is unlike them to do. So I never really believed that. Effectively there is an LSD in the middle diff but that's a different story. I found my LC3 to be incredibly capable. Slightly less clearance underneath tan previous Colorados that I's had but very good nonetheless.

I know someone selling a full set of brand new Old Man Emu springs for a 120 if you are interested.

Cheers Chris, i am actually selling my cruiser so not looking to buy anything for it, i had
an enquiry from a guy and he asked about the diffs etc which i wasn't sure about hence
the question.

Good to hear that the LC3 is incredibly capable as the interested party is moving to somewhere
pretty remote apparently

On Lc3 :

Rear axle has an open diff with elec actuated lock via rotary switch on dash. (only available in Low range)

Centre is a Torsen limited slip diff (60/40) with locking mechanism providing 50/50 split, via lever adjacent to gearstick (manual version).

Front diff is open.

Yes, thanks I think we know that. The debate here is why the brochure says it has both locking and LSD rear diff. Could simply be a misprint, but that IS what it says, hence the question.

Ok so i think i missed this regarding the centre diff lol

Just to clarify the center diff is lockable ? this is done when you
use the small lever next to the gear lever and push it forward from H to HL ?

The centre diff is now locked, and if you move into low range it
stays locked, if you need the rear diff locked as well you just turn
the switch on the dash

Attachments

• Landcruiser interior 006.jpg
    Landcruiser interior 006.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Landcruiser interior 003.jpg
    Landcruiser interior 003.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Got it in one.

Chris

And you can do that on the move too. You don't have to be parked up

Yes, thanks I think we know that. The debate here is why the brochure says it has both locking and LSD rear diff. Could simply be a misprint, but that IS what it says, hence the question.

Not sure why the brochure says that, I havnt read it myself but I do take your word for it.

Tech dept proof reading was on a friday afternoon ???

And you can do that on the move too. You don't have to be parked up

There's a sticker on the door which says up to 5 mph to lock the diff or is that just referring to the rear diff as it says do not operate diff lock switch if wheels are spinning.

I assume your referring to the centre diff ? if so up to what speed can that be engaged at ?

Attachments

• Landcruiser interior 002.jpg
    Landcruiser interior 002.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 131
you can slip it into HL nice and easy at low speeds but i wouldnt advise trying to slip it into LL going more than crawling pace unless you like sucking on the windscreen.:lol:

Yes dropping it into low range at speed wouldn't be nice, i was thinking
more about going into HL, 30 mph ok or lower ?

Back