Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

locking wheel stud. 80

Higgy

Country Flag
denmark
Il do me best to try and explain, So this 80 iv bought has 20" after market wheels on. and a locking wheel STUD, The studs are 19mm socket, . The wheel centres are very deep so I cant get any thing down the hole to try and weld a nut on . The guy I bought it off has gone silent so I don't know if hes got the locking stud thingy. is there a chance that the locking stud could be Toyota, so I can see if I can match it up, The head is like a miss shaped allen head . with a pin in the centre .. Don't want to damage the wheels coz there good to sell on.. Does anyone know what im on about... or maybe has this tool.. Locking wheel nuts, Worst invention known to Man.. Thanks..

Il do me best to try and explain, So this 80 iv bought has 20" after market wheels on. and a locking wheel STUD, The studs are 19mm socket, . The wheel centres are very deep so I cant get any thing down the hole to try and weld a nut on . The guy I bought it off has gone silent so I don't know if hes got the locking stud thingy. is there a chance that the locking stud could be Toyota, so I can see if I can match it up, The head is like a miss shaped allen head . with a pin in the centre .. Don't want to damage the wheels coz there good to sell on.. Does anyone know what im on about... or maybe has this tool.. Locking wheel nuts, Worst invention known to Man.. Thanks..
If you can't get hold of the key (socket) for the locking wheel nut look on you tube on how to remove locking wheel nuts there is a few ways how to do it and some cars are Toyota / lexus which will help . best of luck . Try looking under passenger front seat if there is a draw that might have the key as thats where I found one on a Lexus years ago .

Or in the cubby holes in the boot where hopefully the tool kit is

If you can't get hold of the key (socket) for the locking wheel nut look on you tube on how to remove locking wheel nuts there is a few ways how to do it and some cars are Toyota / lexus which will help . best of luck . Try looking under passenger front seat if there is a draw that might have the key as thats where I found one on a Lexus years ago .
Yeh iv done all that Tony, Iv never seen anything like this before. A 3mm pin in the centre stops you hammering any thing in, the outer diameter of the head is tight up to the inner wall of the hole so you cant get any thing over it..Iv removed loads of LWN, Before normally weld or brute force gets em off. I cant damage the wheel. so bit stuck really .. don't even know if they are Toyota studs... I actually thought the 80 series wheels were NUTS

Or in the cubby holes in the boot where hopefully the tool kit is
Been there Nick.. Rusty old screw driver, and some shot gun cartridges, Oh and only half of the spare wheel winding down thing..

Been there Nick.. Rusty old screw driver, and some shot gun cartridges, Oh and only half of the spare wheel winding down thing..
When i picked mine up after taking it to get the arches welded up there was all sorts that the guys found down in the passenger side hole.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
When i picked mine up after taking it to get the arches welded up there was all sorts that the guys found down in the passenger side hole.
Yeh today I cut the rear inner panels out ( behind the bumper corners). there were screw drivers, a brass tap loads of rags for some reason and a kids plastic Jurassic looking monster thing.. lurking amongst the rust.. NO locking wheel thingy tho.

Sounds just the same as the locking nuts on the missus rav 4. Ill send you a picture. I'll send it you if its the same.
it'll be later tonight though as ive got a double cheese burger, pop corn chicken with barbecue sauce and some beer to drink before I get home. .

Sounds just the same as the locking nuts on the missus rav 4. Ill send you a picture. I'll send it you if its the same.
it'll be later tonight though as ive got a double cheese burger, pop corn chicken with barbecue sauce and some beer to drink before I get home. .
Your a star...Im out later so il probs pm you in the morning.. Thanks.... Il take some photos in the morn see if we can match something up

Last edited:
i have various keys etc if you wsnt to send me a photo.
i expect they will be aftermsrket ones to be honest.

Bit of a long shot, could you not make a mold using something like playdoh, ram it down the tube & then screw something into it & gently remove, you could then perhaps make a copy in steel.

I'll get me coat.

Bit of a long shot, could you not make a mold using something like playdoh, ram it down the tube & then screw something into it & gently remove, you could then perhaps make a copy in steel.

I'll get me coat.
Now this idea I like. It’ll be 100% successful as just after you’ve finished making the tool and getting it to fit, you’ll find the proper key somewhere in the truck. :doh:

Thanks All, il get some photos and post em. The Chap I bought it off might just have it.... Hes away till tomorrow so fingers crossed... Be a shame to damage the wheels...

20181122_221607.jpg
Here's What i have higgy.

I’ve got similar on the Space Star.

Seriously, I’m with JM on this, make an impression of it. Hot melt glue is pretty good for this sort of thing. Squirt something in as a mould release first then a glob of hot melt followed up by a stick held until it all goes off.

Thanks for the help Chaps... Il have a look today let ya know...

Sometimes main dealers have a selection of keys, if you've got one local might be worth a try. The AA vans often carry removal tools too.

Trouble is the removal tools are quite big and fit over to unscrew it. There’s no room to do it with this.

Could just hammer a piece of wood onto the top of it to get the pattern. Then transfer it to the end of a bit of mild steel bar with a dremmel.

Back