Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

looking for a 100 series,what were the best years?

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
i'll be looking to buy a 100 in the UK this summer?
just wondering what years were the best ones?
when did the auto box become a 5-speed?

i'm after something with 100k miles or less

cheers

5 spd came in late 03 but mainly 04 onwards. Not many about with less than 100k though. Mines done 110k and I think thats low mileage.
Would'nt you be better off with a LHD one? theres been a couple on Ebay recently.

I might be in the same boat myself. Don't want to Jinx myself but am checking out a 2001 LX470 this weekend. Has over 200k miles, but the guys had it for over 15 years so I'm not worried. Research tells me to look into the active ride system, and the ABS Module brake system. Two most expensive things that fail. Other than that the 2UZ engine is pretty bullet pr

A750F 5-speed was introduced in August 2002 production. In some markets only from Aug 2003 production for diesel versions.
Are you thinking diesel or petrol? The HDJ had several other changes at the same time, also dependent on market.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
4,2 diesel auto
so maybe i'll look at 2004-2007 years

was the 5-speed a much better auto gear-box?
'cause my 120's perfect...

cheers

The 5 spd came with upgrades to the engine I believe. I can't tell you exactly what they were though, maybe uHu will know.

2004 onward included performance mods i.e electronic turbo controller, better tune fuel pump, 5-speed gearbox for better economy, and small changes here and there in the engine bay. Other changes were 17-inch alloys and suspension change and newer design interior dash. The later years 2006/07 had a tail and headlight changes.

Last edited:
The 4-speed is a very strong and durable box, and there is nothing wrong with it. It shifts well, but very refined combined with the 1HD-FTE; filling a synthetic ATF helps a bit. The response when pushing the accelerator is a bit delayed. The Engine and Gearbox ECUs are two separate units.
The 5-speed came with a new combined Gearbox ECU and Engine ECU, with a much better response. Also the programming of the IP is adjusted, and an adjustable turbo (for Europe). The 5-speed has LU in both 4th and 5th, and it has automatic engine braking (shifting down when downhill and holding the brakes partly on).
Other news were: Valve seat/face, intake restrictor with stepper motor instead of vacuum, improved EGR - with EGR cooler (EU), "straw" to suck oil from I/C, butterfly valves on the intake to increase intake flow speed on low power (EU), new instrument panel, and a terrible user-UNfriendly HVAC control panel.

when i'm looking at cars in the street,do the 5-speed auto cars have a different front ie facelift
or was that later?
cheers

Most post-2003 facelift models were 5-speed, but there were still cars from that year that came with the new-style front and the old-style box.

Worth mentioning for those looking at the V8 petrol lump, I think 2005+ 2UZ had VVTI and a good amount more power.

when i'm looking at cars in the street, do the 5-speed auto cars have a different front ie facelift
or was that later?
Easier to look at the ass, I always do. The rear turn indicators' "glass" went from amber to clear. The rear window washer nozzle moved from left to right. At the front, there is a difference in the grille, where the new version has thicker bars (maybe one less as well) and a "cleaner", more defined, look to it.
Then, to make sure, you look inside at the gear shifter. The 5-sp has a gated shifter. The 4-sp has a straight shift pattern and an O/D-button on the left side close to the top.
And then you'll go and find a manual one...
1592505900329.png

The headlights are the biggest giveaway for me - the old has the high/low beams in the same reflector, the facelift has them in separate reflectors in the same housing.

The headlights are the biggest giveaway for me - the old has the high/low beams in the same reflector, the facelift has them in separate reflectors in the same housing.
New style headlights came a couple of years later, afaik. Early ones had the high under and the low on top, while the new ones (7/2004?) have the hi and lo side by side.

Reading this thread... I think the general consensus seems to be to buy the newest you can, with the lowest milage you can find, in the best possible condition, with the best possible history, that drives like new.

Back