Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for a rural/semi-rural property to rent

HauptRenate

Looking for a rural/semi-rural property to rent: house/flat/boat/rooms/caravan.
To administrators; Not sure whether I should post this...hope you don't mind.
Overlander, writer, artist, animal-lover seeks a quiet place to rent for myself and my cat, away from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Will consider sharing a rural/semi-rural property, ideal requirements would be in an area where there is good access to roads/motorways, and where there is a little land that I can manage.
I’d like to share a garage too, if there is one available... and would naturally enjoy the company of other Landcruiser users/abusers in da neighbourhood.

Regards
Renate

Renate, any particular location in mind?

C

Hi Chris
Er, no, no preference! so long as its 'rural-ish' semi/rural or rural that is!
Renate

There are some nice houses up here for rent that would suit you. Try contacting the Mains estate office on the Haddo House Estate. They usually have some nice places available that would probably tick all the boxes :thumbup:

er, Housing Estate!? not like those council estates is it? (joke ;*)
Have checked the website - ideal; if they had any lettings available that is! :(
Rgrds
Renate

I will have a chat to them tomorrow as I'm going over that way to see one of my mates who is one of their tennants. If not I'm going past the Fyvie estate too so will call in there to see whats available. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Ecoman
I wrote an email to Mark Andrew; I'm on their waiting list, but I expect it will take a while, if at all.
I'd be interested in any comments or information your friend is willing to share about living in this kind of Estate, and what is expected of tenants.
cheers
Renate

I can speak from experience as I lived as one of their tennants for a year before buying my current house. They are a bit up themselves but they have to be really as the farm and estate (not Haddo House) is owned by Lord Aberdeen (Alex Gordon). They are a pretty decent bunch though and the repair work usually gets carried out by quality craftsmen so the houses are well maintained. My apperance is not conventional as (I quote my missus) look like an 80's throwback biker. The woman that lived next door to me (accross the field) was a freelance nude model for a number of art schools around the area. There was another tennant accross the other side of the estate who was a guitarist in a punk band and also a piper. So they don't look for airs and graces. All they ask if for the rent to be paid on time and not to disturb the other tennants if possible. It is also a shooting estate so if your anti bloodsports then its not really the place for you as they don't take too kindly to people driving past and abusing their high paying customers :lol:

We are having a harsher winter than usual and because of it there are usually a few people who have moved from the city to live the good life in the country. A few weeks of snow and they start to rethink their strategy as they were cut off from gritted and ploughed roads. You will be surprised how quickly tennants will move back to the city come the spring :lol:

If they offer you a house and want me to check it out for you then feel free to get in touch and i will pop over and take photos if you like and have a chat to them. I know most of the staff there as I used to help run the theatre in the grounds of the house before it was taken over by the NTS.

Sounds pretty good Ecoman.
Well at least I won't be snowed in, in winter.... have enjoyed the deep snow this last few weeks. And I'm not a veggie, nor is my cat, and I used to hunt rabbits and stuff when I was a child, not for 'sport' but to survive in the wilds with - my father and grandfather taught me, they also taught me how to fish properly too..... and they'd say "well, you never know when you might need these skills" so long as the pea shooters don't go NEAR my cat or l'beast, otherwise I'll take their heads off with my bear hands....
And I always pay my rent on time (where I am now is crap, landlady just wants the rent, but for nothing and then she's so hard in debt she gives it away within the hour...., the house is falling to bits, H & S is the worst I've ever seen, so not ideal for me) but she will give me a good glowing reference to a new landlord, she's already said this so there is hope for me yet... and maybe parking for l'beast will be secure! a dream come true perhaps.
But there is one major condition - I want access to a good landcruiser 4x4 mechanic - think you fit the bill? don't worry, I'm only joking!
Keep me posted
Cheers
Renate

Sounds like you will fit right in with the lifestyle up here.

You will not be far from one of the best 4x4 mechanics in the north east and that is Jim King Autotune at Lethenty. First time I went there I thought OMG who have I agreed to let loose on my baby?? Then you take a look around his yard and its full of TVRs, Nobles, Subarus, and an ever changing arrangement of 4x4s. He is also one of the committee of the local off road club (BORDC). I have been using him for my trucks and cars for 4 years now and can't fault his workmanship. In fact the LC goes in for a cam belt and new brakes in the next few weeks :thumbup:

HauptRenate said:
Hi Chris
Er, no, no preference! so long as its 'rural-ish' semi/rural or rural that is!
Renate
Any country as well? :roll:
Heard that up north (of the polar circle) you can buy a small farm for less than it costs to drive there. Like this one, and there are cheaper; 23 Hectare (57 acres) for 50 k £. With house and a barn with room for many cars. :lol:
http://www.gardsbruk.no/tekst/459/Utvik.aspx

Er,
Uhu, that depends on whether I can Rent a place!
Some family members are from these very cold artic places...
Cheers
Renate

Hi there Ecoman, did you see your friend? and if so what were his comments/opinions/ideas?
I figure I've got to have a few irons in the fire so I can optimise any chance I have of finding a new place to live in the British Isles (and maybe Europe...)
I've contacted the National Trust in SE/SW England and Wales as well.
I last drove up to your neck of the woods in 2004 or 2005. I stayed with a 80sMud couple. There was an event up there and a couple of us went out to map out some new course tracks, grading them through easy to extreme. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, so I'm thinking, also, I'll wait to see if Mark gets back to me soon, I'm not holding out on him cos it might take several months.
BTW What is the job situation like up there?
Cheers
Renate

Back