Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Loss of Power - Fuel Contamination OR Fuel Pump Issue???

Roughtrax sell both types of lift pump, genuine Toyota with heater and without and Milner's sell what looks like a pattern part (no heater) much cheaper.

@fbnss why did you have to change the filter head Nick, was it same power loss issue?

Roughtrax sell both types of lift pump, genuine Toyota with heater and without and Milner's sell what looks like a pattern part (no heater) much cheaper.

Thanks @Towpack ...... Just got my filters from roughtrax, I'll have a look. Cheers

I have air getting in somewhere, so it was suggested i change it

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had ice in my tank back in the 70's. The water just came up to the bottom of the pick up pipe. On a cold day it would not start but on a warm day OK. Not enough flow to suck water in to the engine.

Just before I bought my 120 the garage that serviced it rather cleverly cross threaded the primer head on the fuel filter - then it wouldn't tighten properly and wouldn't hold vacuum so had to be replaced...

Thanks for the input guys.

Has anyone had to change the fuel pump because of similar symptoms?
It was mentioned that there is also a filter in the fuel pump, if so, before I rip out all the kit out again, does anyone know if it's accessible, cleanable, replaceable?

Just before I bought my 120 the garage that serviced it rather cleverly cross threaded the primer head on the fuel filter - then it wouldn't tighten properly and wouldn't hold vacuum so had to be replaced...
Thanks Karl.... I've think I've eliminated that as the fuel filter had been on for 2000 miles and everything seems to be bone dry.
I'm convinced it's a shitty fuel issue!!..... but just can't get to the flaming bottom of it! Now wondering if it could be the fuel pump?

I don't know if mine was actually leaking fuel or just enough to let air in. If you press the primer plunger and get it hard then leave it a few hours, does it stay that way?

You're wondering if it's the high pressure fuel pump? I don't think I've heard of them being a problem on the 120s but.... !

I don't know if mine was actually leaking fuel or just enough to let air in. If you press the primer plunger and get it hard then leave it a few hours, does it stay that way?

You're wondering if it's the high pressure fuel pump? I don't think I've heard of them being a problem on the 120s but.... !

Actually Karl, re the plunger, just checked again and after thirty pumps, still not getting hard. (not something you want to say out loud !!!)
Regarding the fuel pump....... I'm wondering if I need to think about replacing the sender unit pump??

Haha if that plunger doesn't get hard there must be a leak. I'd replace that plunger head first as it's a five minute job and you never know. When mine went I didn't see it (only heard about it from the garage) so I don't know exactly what the symptoms were.

@Dave2000 Is this the Banjo Bolt (centre if picture) you mentioned for the brass strainer?

Attachments

• Banjo Bolt.jpg
    Banjo Bolt.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Yes that looks like the one, follow the pioe and it should run up to the filter head.

Regards

Dave

Back