Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Loss of Power - Fuel Contamination OR Fuel Pump Issue???

Are you throwing a CEL?I just got my 78 series 1kz running great after chasing a #14 CEL .I was getting power loss and boost loss at 2300 rpm's - my prado would go into limp mode - 50% fuel and no boost .It was the timing control solenoid at the bottom of the fuel pump cutting off my fuel and boost .I could barely get up hills ,or pass anyone on the highway once it hit 2300 rpms the check engine light would come on and stay on til I came to a complete stop - And I would have power till I got her up to 2300 rpms then the CEL and no power - I thought it was my fuel tank as an issue and all things attached to the pump and filter .Took over a year of losing interest and chasing the gremlin again - Found my answer from an Australian Prado forum -

If we are talking 80 Series diesel, which I assume we are, there is no fuel pump in the tank to my knowledge.

Yes... 80 series 24v diesel.
Well..... unless I'm losing it, I'm sure there is. Obviously I'd be interested to hear from the LCC, whether my marbles are actually bouncing down the road!!

Yes... 80 series 24v diesel.
Well..... unless I'm losing it, I'm sure there is. Obviously I'd be interested to hear from the LCC, whether my marbles are actually bouncing down the road!!
All the ones I've seen haven't, so unless the later ones like yours did I'd say those marbles have well and truly escaped :)

9D96A384-6997-4AE9-9F89-F095325EFB5B.jpeg

@Bat21 ..... unfortunately I didn't take any photos of mine when I removed it.
But found the following, which highlights the same pump that's on the tank's fuel feed / sender unit assembly, which is on my 80.
No holes in marbles bag just yet!

Last edited:
Reactions: Vix
I stand corrected, it looks like the late 80's had submersible pumps, I've learnt something new.

I went the same route as Chris and fitted an external Walbro pusher pump. I also binned the troublesome in tank mesh filter and fitted an external inline one that I can visibly see the condition of.

Anyway, none of my rambling helps you so I will shut up now and wait and see if you discover the cause of your problem. It will no doubt be an simple fix once you have identified the cause.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I went the same route as Chris and fitted an external Walbro pusher pump. I also binned the troublesome in tank mesh filter and fitted an external inline one that I can visibly see the condition of.

That thought had crossed my mind..... unfortunately after I had refitted all the kit and flooring!!!
Although not sure that's an option, having that submersible pump.

@Bat21 ..... unfortunately I didn't take any photos of mine when I removed it.
But found the following, which highlights the same pump that's on the tank's fuel feed / sender unit assembly, which is on my 80.
No holes in marbles bag just yet!
thats a petrol 80 pick up pipe.

that might well be your problem..

@chapel gate @Bat21. Thanks for the info guys.

This all got me thinking........ whether the complete assembly would have to be changed or perhaps just remove the pump??

So after the usual struggle to get any help over the phone from main dealerships, fortunately, I managed to talk to one of the long serving mechanics at our local Toyota garage this morning and what he said was interesting..... 'that it was not the first time he'd seen this, (but years ago) and that he thinks on the 24v's there was a spell of these coming from the factory, because they all worked fine as long as the fuel was clean! he said he remembered they had a few farmers' vehicles in.

However, in my mind, even though I've owned this truck for nearly half it's life and it's only done 80 odd thousand miles now, I'm thinking that it's possibly been changed at some point before my ownership, who knows!

Anyway, he couldn't remember the exact differences between the assembly unit with pump vs without pump, but suggested initially disconnecting the pump physically (not electrically), leave it in the tank and try. The other suggestions were SCV and the usual fuel treatment in the tank, but interestingly, also direct into the fuel filter. (suggested Forte).

Any thoughts would be appreciated guys, on whether I can just disconnect the submersible pump or does it require assembly replacement.

Bloody marbles bouncing everywhere!!

Last edited:
Thank you all very much for your help and thankfully....... Now all sorted!

After a long winded process of elimination, I ended up ripping everything out of the truck for a second time and checking the fuel tank again and noticed that, even having already pumped out and cleaned the tank, more dirt in the plastic sump!

So assuming there must be some more residue stuck on the pipe, I filled the main feed pipe with petrol a few of times and blew through with compressed air.
BINGO!!!...... eventually a load more crap came out.

In fact, it looked like a combination of dirt and the old sludgy diesel bacteria, which would probably explain why it didn't completely clear first time.

As a result, I've decided that, as the truck is stored for such long periods of time, to add a fuel biocide in future.

Also, in order to make sure all that time was not in vain, I've finally made provision for a diesel heater, by fitting another fuel pickup to the replacement sender unit, including sufficient fuel pipe to reach the same location as @Rosy for when I fit the Eberspacher I've had for years!!

Thanks for all your input guys, particularly @Dave2000 for all the helpful pm's.
Cheers.

20230630_102921.jpg

@Bodie looks like someone has nicked your fuel pump there :tearsofjoy:

Good to hear it's all sorted now and your marbles are safely intact once again.

@Bodie looks like someone has nicked your fuel pump there :tearsofjoy:

Good to hear it's all sorted now and your marbles are safely intact once again.
That's an ebay jobbie, looks similar to yours now with a bigger filter sock, which should help.
Marbles still intact..... although the hole in the bag gets bigger every year!!

That's an ebay jobbie, looks similar to yours now with a bigger filter sock, which should help.
The photo I posted wasn't mine.
I have removed my filter sock but I do have an external filter outside the tank that will catch any nasties, plus it's see through so I can see when it needs changing.

great news. Maybe we might see you at avalanche in September with the cruiser then?

The photo I posted wasn't mine.
I have removed my filter sock but I do have an external filter outside the tank that will catch any nasties, plus it's see through so I can see when it needs changing.
If I'm honest, it's probably what I should've done!...... next time.

Last edited:
great news. Maybe we might see you at avalanche in September with the cruiser then?
It's in my mind, but same as last year Gav, it's always the same time as the governor's birthday!..... and our crew and partners are looking to book a house for a long weekend in the Peak District for her.

She does know about Avalanche, so she's trying to steer it to the following weekend. But obviously it's depending on everyone's availability and accommodation.

Avalanche looks like it could be the last LC meet this year, so definitely keen to go, especially, as you know, it's the closest meet for me! So I'm hoping they'll be able to book the weekend after! Just not putting my name down with the risk of having to pull out, until I know.

Just a thought about your diesel heater supply location.... maybe lift it up a bit so you don't risk being snug and warm but unable to drive anywhere because you sucked all the fuel out the tank with the heater...... ;-)

Just a thought. If there is a hole in the pickup pipe surely if a pump were added to overcome the problem the pipe would leak due to it being under positive pressure rather than negative pressure ??

Back