Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lost Keys. 2005 LC 100.

stephenMitchell

Country Flag
great_britain
2005 LC 100. I have lost my one and only key. :anguished: Big trouble is that i am stuck out in Italy. Toyota dealership want lots of money to change everything. I have tried an Italian auto locksmith who has gotten as far as cutting a new key but he does not know how to programmer it and seems to think that he has to removes and re-program the immobilizer box. Is there any way to avoid removing the immobilizer. Has anyone got any advice they can give???

Hi Steven this is an unusual question for a first post so please forgive me for suggesting you chuck some pics up as sort of provenance that you have some history with the vehicle as it may encourage others to help .

Do you have a note of the number that was attached to the keys anywhere? Even at home that someone could find and send you? I expect a Toyota dealership could then supply a new key, suitably coded but they will require payment.

I would have been very interested to see how the locksmith made the key. Me and all the criminals out there! :)

The car is unlocked and open. The locksmith used a template key tool in the lock barrel and then made a key from this tools template. But without the immobilizer programmed this new key don't start the engine. So even non auto-locksmith criminals would not be able to start the car.

you usually need a key that is already registered with the immobiliser to program a new key ... When all keys are lost the usual solution is to replace the ECU, either new or second hand but if second hand make sure you get a master key with it or you're back to the same problem. It is supposed to be possible to hack the immobiliser EEPROM and reset it but I don't know where you'd find someone to do that and it's not trivial.

Ok, this has been gnawing at me. I know you've turned everything upside down inside out and retraced your steps but I just have a nagging thought that the key is not far away.

Have another look for the key. I know, I know, it's just a hunch but otherwise you're in for a big bill.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Star Cruiser, do you know something i dont??? Okay, as far as i'm concerned the key is defo gone. Lost it over the Easter weekend sightseeing. It could be anywhere in northern Italy even on the island of venice and there no way i'm dredging those canals. So the Toyota Italians wanted to change ECU and all sorts of things, they warned of a bill over 2500€ parts only. As i'm only 100km from the Slovenian broader i nipped over and spoke to a Toyota dealer who quite confidently said no problem we can do it for around 600€:openmouth:. stuck it on the back of a trailer and towed it across the border into Slovenia. Onroute roadside check and 60€ fine from the Italian police for a slight overhang on the trailer. Will never lose another key as long as I live!!!:innocent:

By accident, while rooting underneath, found a spare key zip tied to the speedo cable. Got a spare now and quite a good idea tbh

By accident, while rooting underneath, found a spare key zip tied to the speedo cable. Got a spare now and quite a good idea tbh
I had to read that again Ben. On first read I thought it was Stephen's post. Oh how ironic that would have been!!

Star Cruiser, do you know something i dont??? Okay, as far as i'm concerned the key is defo gone. Lost it over the Easter weekend sightseeing. It could be anywhere in northern Italy even on the island of venice and there no way i'm dredging those canals. So the Toyota Italians wanted to change ECU and all sorts of things, they warned of a bill over 2500€ parts only. As i'm only 100km from the Slovenian broader i nipped over and spoke to a Toyota dealer who quite confidently said no problem we can do it for around 600€:openmouth:. stuck it on the back of a trailer and towed it across the border into Slovenia. Onroute roadside check and 60€ fine from the Italian police for a slight overhang on the trailer. Will never lose another key as long as I live!!!:innocent:
No I don't know anything really, except that sods law has an evil mean streak that means it will offer up the key the instant you have replaced everything.
So nice of the Italians to rub salt in the wound for you. I used to love Italy. Not quite so sure now. 'Tis the law of sod!

Back