Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Loud Ticking noise

Noel69

Country Flag
australia
I have a 2003 UZJ100 V8 cruiser which has developed a loud ticking noise from I think the R/H/R of the engine. I have done a valve lash and compression check and both seem ok (with-in spec)
I Believe that it maybe a lifter but not sure. What happens to a lifter to make it faulty?? as they are not hydraulic lifters. ( fed up with people saying "oh you've done a lifter")
What else could be causing the noise?
Can the belt tensioner fail causing a ticking noise?
Can i check the valve lash with the engine running by placing the feeler gauge under the cam lobe to see if the noise stops to pin point the one at fault?

Any info would be great

Hi Noel,
you might try to pinpoint the noise. Put the blade of a long screwdriver against the suspected area of the engine and push your ear at the end of the handle. The screwdriver will act as a stetoscope and you can 'listen out' the engine.
if you run the engine without the camshaft cover, you're in for an oil shower. Putting anything between a camshaft and a valve while the engine is running, seems like a very bad idea.
good luck,
Wout

Thanks Firewout...
I have used a stetoscope and had the rocker covers off and managed to put the probe of the stetoscope on the side of each lifter as it was running and still could not pin point the area. I have been told it could be a cracked exhaust manifold but I'm not 100 percent sure that is the problem.

cracked exhaust manifold(s) is a very common cause of a ticking noise on the UZJ100

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
See the options above (when your typing) Bold , underline , smileys etc the second but last option , a box with a tree in it , click that to upload pics and vids from your computer to the forum . 3 years i've been using this forum and never knew it but don't tell the mrs who worked that out on her very first post :shifty:

See the options above (when your typing) Bold , underline , smileys etc the second but last option , a box with a tree in it , click that to upload pics and vids from your computer to the forum . 3 years i've been using this forum and never knew it but don't tell the mrs who worked that out on her very first post :shifty:
I only get picture files allowed it says;
[h=2][/h]Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif

which are not video files.

I'll try that now.
No go, I get 'invalid file'

Can anyone tell me if it is a lifter making the noise.... how will i find out which one it is?? will the valve lash be excessive on the faulty lifter?

Just a thought, but is the noise constant? Is is worst when the engine is cold, especially when you first start the car?

A cracked exhaust manifold will be louder ticking with engine on wider throttle and under load. A faulty lifter will be constant.

Back