Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lovely 80 Series Overlander

Ahh yes, well I'd agree with that And indeed if you buy something that then needs a whole load of bits put right - new tyres, new suspension etc you'd feel pretty robbed. So we're all violently agreeing here. But my response really was to the £23k - not worth that view I guess. There are all sorts of reasons not to buy it from my, from OUR perspective but it doesn't mean that it wouldn't make someone a good purchase. Now take the Troopie of Mr A StPW at something like £80k. I have two words to say about that and the second one is OFF! It's a tent on wheels at the end of the day and you can gold plate the engine but there is a point at which you stop adding value. It's a bit like expensive shotguns. You don't shoot with the engraving.

It's easy to get carried away looking at the brochure with its sat phone and Draper trolley jack. So you have to strip all that away, decide what the base 80 is worth, add on the actual expedition bit you feel you'd actually need, like a tent etc and then see where it gets you. Then decide if you want all the toys. I still think as a package it's pretty close, but if he was willing to spilt it (and I was interested) I would certainly be knocking money off by putting stuff in a big box marked 'no thanks got one already'

But you have to admit as it stands, if you had a trip coming up and wanted a vehicle that would do it with not much more than a wipe over, this would be the thing. Then of course after you get back in a couple of years, you could advertise it for £23k.....

Well said.

One thing that it doesn't have in its favour is Aircon. Now not having done any of the proper overland sojourns across Africa etc, I don't know how important people actually feel that AC is. I'd appreciate a view on that. I have a GS with factory AC that works beautifully and have new sparkly bits, so I can either use it or not bother. But would not having it be a problem for hotter climes? We had lovely weather in France and were glad of it stuck in traffic.

When I said I would rather build my own, its for the exact reasons others have stated, you tailor the set up to your own preferences rather than inherit some elses idea of perfection, by building it yourself you know the truck at the end of the day, what has been done and to what standard (if your paying someone else or diy) and how to fix it when it goes wrong

I'm sure the 80 cost serious amounts to build to that quality, imho that doesn't make it worth that for sale. But hey I'm new to this 4x4 stuff, performance mods are my background and a friend is picking up a new engine tonight that cost the seller well over £2k in parts, he's sold it for £750 without even running it.

Threads turned out quite interesting for the original, heres a nice 80 for sale :D

Now not having done any of the proper overland sojourns across Africa etc, I don't know how important people actually feel that AC is. I'd appreciate a view on that.

Wind down the window and let Africa in Chris, you acclimatise to the weather faster and get to smell the country.

The only downside is you'll spend the next year trying to get Africa back out of your car

For some of the hotter and more humid countries, aircon is mandatory if you want to remain sane and lucid throughout your travels!!. Also allows the ambient temp in the vehicle to remain "workable" for the fridge. Regardless of what they tell you, at 40º+ ALL fridges and other sensitive electrical gear begins to suffer. Over prolonged periods of time they pack up altogether. Having the vehicle at a manageable 25º is a must. Tints also help

Thanks Guys. Figured as much.

Hey Mark you started this by posting a truck you didn't want! It's a fun thread if nothing else.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
LOL! As you say Chris, to a greater or lesser extent we're agreeing. As an aside, aircon is great, but a good 12v cab fan works well to push the air about - used this a few times now and a lot cheaper than retro fitting aircon to a vehicle that doesn't have it :)

having been across Morocco with out air con it would of been nice at times

Pah, wimps, my ac has only worked once and then I only used it on motorways through spain :D

You could always dangle ice lollies in front of the fan and wear a loose fitting shirt

Chris, you're banned from using AC in Morocco unless my beer is getting warm :)

Well said.

One thing that it doesn't have in its favour is Aircon. Now not having done any of the proper overland sojourns across Africa etc, I don't know how important people actually feel that AC is. I'd appreciate a view on that. I have a GS with factory AC that works beautifully and have new sparkly bits, so I can either use it or not bother. But would not having it be a problem for hotter climes? We had lovely weather in France and were glad of it stuck in traffic.

My 2p worth, when I went to Morocco in the Range Rover Sport G4 (yes, really) the air con packed up in Spain. Initially I thought this was going to be a disaster, but actually it was fine; yes, 48'C is hot, but I think not having air con ensured we kept drinking plenty of fluids, whereas sat in an air conditioned car there is a much greater risk of dehydration.

My personal view (coming from someone who bought an 80 without aircon) is that in hot, dry climates you're better off without, but it would be nice to have if you're going somewhere with very high humidity.

What time of year were you there to hit 48 Centigrade? must have been June July?

What time of year were you there to hit 48 Centigrade? must have been June July?

Early August! 47'C was the highest I got a photo of, before my iPhone decided to overheat and display the yellow triangle of doom. It got over 50'C stood at lunch, mind...

IMG_2690.JPG

Jeez, I've been in Marrakech in 45 degrees in June and it was unbearable

Jeez, I've been in Marrakech in 45 degrees in June and it was unbearable

Funnily enough, I've never had a problem with heat, only humidity. I can vividly remember 3x very warm places; stepping out of Las Vegas airport for the first time (July), 44'C hit me like a shovel to the face but after acclimatising to it was fine; the biggest problem there is EVERYTHING is air conditioned, so the heat feels that much worse when you go out in it, but actually when outside I really didn't find it so bad. Second was the middle of the Sahara in August, 52'C was the highest we saw on the car I think? Undoubtedly very hot, but again kind of manageable, somehow. And then there was Dubai. Christ alive, that nearly killed me. 44'C in the evening, but it felt like 100% humidity, that was awful and I thought I was going to faint to be honest! So for me, dry heat is OK, but heat and humidity? Not so much!!

Sadly I've never been to Africa.

I know it's not a place you'd take the truck to, but in Qatar (lived there for 18 months only) it was regularly 55C on the max-min thermometer hanging outside under the shade of the Site office car-ports. It dropped dramatically at night to 45C... :lol: Admittedly, it was in the middle of the desert, but bloody 'ot!

I did get used to it but the hardest part was the humidity. Northern Oman, Dubai and Abu Dhabi are much the same for humidity.

Yep, fine with heat. Worked in foundries and steelworks for years. Did 3 months in Hong Kong. It was like walking out into a laundry. It could be hissing down and it was still steaming. Drained my strength in about a minute flat. Not a place for big lads.

This is a well prepped truck as mentioned. Very nice and the money spent on it would be north of £30+. It doesn't take much to run through the kit list and use a calculator to work that out. Some things I would have done differently but hay-ho everybody has different ideas.

You could pick holes in some areas but at the end of the day it's a stonking truck that looks well built and prepped - after a checkover and service I wouldn't have a problem in bunging in some food and booze and heading for Africa or similar...

Items I would have to add - would be the AC, an inter-cooler, cannot remember if I saw addition fuel tanks?? and probably an additional spare wheel/tire. I've seen to many people loose a tire and I get the hibeejees when I think of how much trouble you could be in with only 3 wheels on your wagon in the middle of nowhere... when loaded that will be the best part of 4 ton.... also I'd be carrying some more essential spares... alternator and starter motor at a pinch... belts etc... buts that's just me...

Is it worth the money - yep.... if I needed a truck tomorrow to go somewhere I'd reach for the plastic card and buy it.. regardless of the small short commings...

Back