Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Low cost (proper) welding gas

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
For those of you who fancy a crack at welding, BOC are offering smaller cylinders at lower prices. Just happened across this.

http://www.boconline.co.uk/products/pro ... linder.asp

OK, it's not a phenomenal amount of gas, but you don't have to pay the stupid add on charges associated with bigger bottles (I don't actually pay those either but that's another story). This is ideal if you don't actually own a barn and are limited as to how big a bottle you can lug around. Some people are tempted by using pub gas cylinders of CO2 and then wonder why they struggle. Set against what welding your own stuff can save you, it's not a bad deal. Forget the little disposable canister. And, I wouldn't bother with gasless welding either.

Chris

what agood idea ive been waiting for the gas guys to catch on to the private market like this :clap: well spotted Cris . its just a shame it was BOC cos i did a costing on gas and BOC came out most expensive

I use their Volkgas low user scheme Pete. I get Y bottle of Argo-light on a fixed cost of about £30 per year rental and £26 per refill with no other charges. I get through about 2 bottle per year. It pays as far as I am concerned given the amount go welding I do making sliders, winch bumpers, bash plates etc. Dunno what would happen if I started getting through a bottle a week. I have a great local agent who lets me take a new bottle out when I am getting low and wait til the old one is completely empty before I bring it back. Running out on a Sunday isn't a problem then and you get ALL the gas you've paid for.

Chris

nice find Chris. :thumbup:

Chris said:
Some people are tempted by using pub gas cylinders of CO2 and then wonder why they struggle.

i only used pub gas (and posted a pic of it on my build thread) as that was the gas bottle that was attached to the welder i borrowed. :thumbdown:

and i didnt wonder why i struggled, i knew exactly why i struggled, because i was using the wrong gas! :lol:

the right tool for the right job and all that! :cool:

That's a better deal than the disposables but they are still charging a lot of money for not a lot of gas :( At that rate I'd pay £455 for what's in my W size bottle :shock:

Back