Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Made a mistake tonight

joinerman

Garage
On the way home tonight there's a narrow lane that's a link between two parralel main roads, it goes though some woods & there's a fairish long hill half way up, the lane's about two miles long but it saves about five miles if you get my drift, not many vehicles have been up it so i thought i'd give it a go, BIG MISTAKE, i got nearly to the top of the hill & wheels started spinning & i came to a stop BRIEFLY it started sliding back down out of my control & parked it's self with rear quarter wedged into a fairly high bank, i tried putting the centre difflock on that's all i got it's an import & it pulled the front round so i'm know wedged parralel in the bank, can't go forward, can't open the door so i had to stick it in reverse & go for it, luckily it dragged it's self out & i slid mostly out of control backwards to the bottom of the hill which i should add has several bends in & i'm going backwards in the pitch dark, got full control back at the bottom & had to reverse around a mile back to the main road, think it was my lucky day, could easily have hit many trees on the way down i was just waiting for the crunch.

Jees buddy that sounds well scary. Glad you and the truck are ok, despite the big adrenalin rush you must have had. very unpleasant sensation and clean undies time. Someones looking out for you, or just wanting to protect the trees from the madman careering down the hill in reverse. :whistle:

You probably already know this in which case I apologise.

If you can get it into reverse (I prefer low ratio) you might be able to idle down in reverse. Unless its just really bad ice. Its odd why the brakes wont hold but you can drive / slide in a sort of controlled way down again. Stay off the brakes when its really slippery preferring to use the gearbox if you can (i have a manual which does help).

I was attempting a very steep roadway thats in wales on sat. About 10 feet from the top lost all traction. as soon as I hit the brakes its off backwards out of control slide, get it into reverse smartish and blip the throttle and traction returns.

8 more attempts including dropping tyres down to 20 odd psi and i gave up and spent a while doing a three hundred point turn.

About half a mile further down came across some people on foot. stopped to let them pass - big drop on the right into the trees and river below, ditch on left. As I opened window to say hi the now stationery truck just upped and slid left into the ditch. Sometime you just cant win. And ice is ice. i did manage to turn on the front and rear lockers and get clutch up before she settled into the ditch (thank god of lockers for them engaging so quickly)

With a little encouragement from me and she popped back onto the road - after waggling her front right wheel in the air for a while and dragging along at an odd angle half in and half out of the ditch. The way it slid got me thinking that any moment forwards or back wards as long as you a driving (using power) and you have some control. seems to be the point at which you stop and the gravity etc get to work and you become a passenger really quickly.

Any way glad you and the truck are well.

perhaps a bit more momentum on the way up and you would have made it? out of interest what tyres are you running?

Considering how pear shaped it could've gone that was a lucky escape. Nice to have had luck on your side for that one. I've been there - know how it feels.

I hate to point this out, so do not take it the wrong way,

joinerman said:
i tried putting the centre difflock on.

You should have had it in at the bottom of the hill before going up.

Glad your on, afterall it is easer to fix metal than bones!!

Paul

Yeh i know Paul, but i thought WRONGLY i'd get up no worries but heh ho,

I tried letting it idle in reverse to let me down but it was just ice i was out of control. it all happend real quick.

Tyres are a set of Maxiss i got last year from Paul, i'd love a st of grabbers or BF's but a shortage of work & ill heath has meant funds are really low.

At least your are safe and well. And ice is nasty stuff.

Hope the health and wealth sort themselves in a timely fashion for you.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Glad your OK and i had a similar situation on sat night but i was going down hill i was in low locked and my cruiser turned into 2 1/2 ton sledge luckily about 6ft from a tree i gained traction again and i continued on my way but it was a sphincter twitching moment :lol:

Joe

Back