Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Main (High) Beam Problems

TLC90IRE

Country Flag
ireland
Hi All.

I have a problem with my 1998 LC 90 series that has started happening recently.

When I turn on the main light switch and I have the stalk in the dipped beam, the dipped beams lights work fine. When I move the stalk to the high beam position to activate the high beams, the blue light on the dash comes on but the main beams don't come on and the dipped beams go out. When I reactivate the stalk for dipped beams, the blue light on the dash goes out and the dipped beams come on.

Now here is where it gets strange. When the main light switch is switched off and the stalk is in the dipped beam position, the dipped beams only (no tail or side / parking lights) are on. When I put the stalk into the high beam position, the blue light on the dash comes on but the full beams do not come on.

I have tried changing the stalk but that did not work and I have also tried swapping the relay with the relay for the power outlet but that doesn't make any difference.

Has anyone got any ideas, solutions to my problems........

Regards,

E

Thanks. I had read that however I don't think that I am having the same issue as the blue high beam light on the dash is illuminating when it should. Also the dipped beams are coming on when the stalk is in the dipped beam position with the main light switch in the "off" position. Additionally I have swapped around relays and tested the main light switch and the stalk and the issues were still occurring with the changed parts being used.

If the stalk is OK, and the relay is good, then it can only be a wiring issue. Other Toyota models have been know to give problems with headlight wiring not being up to the job and heating up to the point of failure. (Avensis)

I had a funny stalk issue on that side over a few days but appears to have been caused by a loose earth connection on the battery.

The fog light dash switch has all sorts running through it i can't specifically relate it to your problem but its very easy to pop it out and clean the connections .

I don't know if it would cause your problem, but perhaps check your earth points which can cause all sorts of weird and random faults. The internet is full of 'I cleaned my earths and cured x fault' stories and on older cars the earth points can deteriorate. In my case the headlights used to dim when I touched the brake pedal, the engine revs dipped alarmingly when braking and my LED spotlamps would flicker. All cured by cleaning the battery to body earth point. (I was trying to solve the spotlamp flicker but accidentally solved the other two as well. Happy days.)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back