Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Manual Gearbox Questions

Hi David
I cannot see a problem with that but the only recommended oil is what it says in the handbook. I could not obtain such oil so for peace of mind bought my gearbox oil from Toyota after giving them my chassis number. This was not the general purpose gearoil described in the handbook so even they do not supply it. IIRC it was semi synthetic gearbox oil. If you want to use the oil you quote I recommend you contact their help line and give them the year and model number etc.

All the best
Frank

Just phoned my local parts place and asked what oil the books they have say the car needs ...
He said 75w 90 semi synthetic

Just got off the phone to Mr toyota
They said it should have Bog standard 75w 90

Oil change on thursady will let you know if it makes the change any better

Oh and how many litres does it hold?

I have just found a bottle which my gear oil came in so I now have a definitive answer;

"Toyota GEAR OIL Universal Synthetic 75w-90" Part Number "08885-80606 1litre". So one will need 3 off for one main gearbox change. :cool:

Frank

geordie_boy1978 said:
Just phoned my local parts place and asked what oil the books they have say the car needs ...

The plot thickens
when i went to get my oil i asked if we could have a propper look in the magic book of oils
It turns out that the book says use GL4 semi synthetic 75W-90
says GL5 not suitable

I ended up ordering COMMA SX75w-90 GL4 semi syntyhetic

Just found this info on the net

When we use a GL-5 product in a transmission that requires GL-4, we normally find 2 to 4 times as
much copper in the used oil as we would with a GL-4 product. Eventually the synchronizers wear to
the point that they no longer make contact with the other half of the cone, bottoming out before
stopping the opposing gear.

A normal GL-4 gear oil of any given viscosity has about ½ of the level of sulfur/phosphorous additive
that would be in the GL-5 product, so the bond is not as strong, and therefore can be peeled off without
peeling a layer of brass (or less brass). This means that the GL-4 product provides a little less extreme pressure protection, so in the differential of a high powered car, it would not be the ideal product in the
differential. To understand this need we should be aware of the fact that the differential is where the
final torque is applied to the wheels (in most applications).

SO MY ADVICE IS ONLY USE GL4 OIL IN YOUR LANDCRUISER MANUAL GEARBOX

Sweet, good info!

I had a dig through the FSM I downloaded last week and it said the gearbox should use a GL4 oil as well. With the recommendations to stay away from "extreme pressure"/EP oils, I ended up buying some Castrol Syntrans 75W-90 from halfords. It's a fully synthetic GL-4. Good to know I'm on the right track.

Thanks again!

David

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Changed the oils today ..
But had driven for about an hour before i drained
Feels better but the real test will be in the morning when it's stone cold ..

Weird thing is the new oil was clear !
I've never seen clear oil before

geordie_boy1978 said:
[quote="geordie_boy1978":3mev9lmo]Just phoned my local parts place and asked what oil the books they have say the car needs ...

The plot thickens
when i went to get my oil i asked if we could have a propper look in the magic book of oils
It turns out that the book says use GL4 semi synthetic 75W-90
says GL5 not suitable

I ended up ordering COMMA SX75w-90 GL4 semi syntyhetic

Just found this info on the net

When we use a GL-5 product in a transmission that requires GL-4, we normally find 2 to 4 times as
much copper in the used oil as we would with a GL-4 product. Eventually the synchronizers wear to
the point that they no longer make contact with the other half of the cone, bottoming out before
stopping the opposing gear.

A normal GL-4 gear oil of any given viscosity has about ½ of the level of sulfur/phosphorous additive
that would be in the GL-5 product, so the bond is not as strong, and therefore can be peeled off without
peeling a layer of brass (or less brass). This means that the GL-4 product provides a little less extreme pressure protection, so in the differential of a high powered car, it would not be the ideal product in the
differential. To understand this need we should be aware of the fact that the differential is where the
final torque is applied to the wheels (in most applications).

SO MY ADVICE IS ONLY USE GL4 OIL IN YOUR LANDCRUISER MANUAL GEARBOX[/quote:3mev9lmo]

Says who??

From the TOYOTA owner's manual:

MANUAL TRANSMISSION..........Multi purpose gear oil API GL-4 or GL-5 SAE 75W-90

If anyone's bothered, Toyota had an issue with the gearbox in the Celica (and that wasn't a truck box) They went from 75w90 to ATF during 1992 / 1993
After trying EVERY possible gear oil I switched to the ATF used later and it was great.
40,000 miles later it was still fine, despite running 300hp through the front wheels.
Should have realised really, my old Cossie was the same, that used ATF in the box too.....

Interesting, I have some ATF made from Unicorn tears left over from my last auto, wonder if I could use some of that up.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Interesting, I have some ATF made from Unicorn tears left over from my last auto, wonder if I could use some of that up.
Only if you filter it through fairy wings first :shh:

Back