Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Manual TC switch for auto

Dr Bob

I ha seen these for an 80 on an Australian site at 200 dollars plus for a couple of relays that sounds a tad expensive to me any one got an alternative ??

Bob

I fitted the lock up switch & wholesale autos valve body to my 80, it made a big difference to the auto fluid temps locking up the TC in extreme conditions.

Not sure if it will work with the standard valve body & what difference / effect it would have...........ask Rodney at wholesale autos, he really knows his stuff.

Maybe someone on here can advise as well (JW???)

The switch is straightforward enough but a bit fiddly to get to the ECU to cut in the wire connection!
Andy

Hi Andy.

As far as I know it will work without the extreme valve mod but not in first or reverse . You don't have a wiring diagram for it do you ?

Cheers, Bob

Bob,,

I will have a dig about to see what I can find, but it won't be till tomorrow though.

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It just uses a change over relay to switch the lock up solenoid wire between normal ECU connection and +ve. Somewhere in the FSM is a wiring diagram and details of the ECU pin out to identify the lock up solenoid wire to snip and insert your relay. You'll find an indicator lamp or illuminated switch per the Wholesale kit useful to remind you when it is manually locked.

Keep in mind the TC lockup is only designed to be [dis]engaged with low levels of torque so avoid [dis]engaging when using a lot of throttle and also avoid gear changes with it locked for similar reasons.

lock up wiring.jpg

Bob,
Hopefully this photo of the wiring comes out on here, if not PM me your email add & i'll send it by email

As John says, its in the FSM which wire is the lock up one from the ECU

Andy

Just looking at my notes on this, the wire you need from the ECU is the SL output, in FSM RM315e its halfway down page AT38

Andy

Ps. Thanks to Jon wild smith who gave me this info when I did mine!!

Andy

Must be me but AT 38 is overdrive can't find the ECU pin guide:?.

Bob

FOUND IT!!!! Getting a bit rusty in my old age still can't fathom how you get charged 200 dollars for what amounts to a spot light relay and switch or am I missing something ??

Bob.

I dont believe mine was 200 dollars either, I ordered the whole kit (valve body lock up switch, temp guage & tee all in one hit from Julian.

As you imply, not hard to knock one up!!

Andy

I dont believe mine was 200 dollars either, I ordered the whole kit (valve body lock up switch, temp guage & tee all in one hit from Julian.

As you imply, not hard to knock one up!!

Andy

OK it's on the list of TO DO before I go down to Norfolk in Sept. I have been looking up information on using it locked for towing . I found one site that said not to use it locked for towing up hill !!! Surely that's the point just what are the DO'S and DON'TS of locking up the torque converter ???

Bob

The TC clutch is not designed for high torque so that's why you'd be recommended not to use it hard when towing. Wholesale do a nice replacement TC which I gave stick locked up with no problems. If your TC has been rebuilt they often use a lower spec friction material that is just about ok for normal use but falls apart with hard use, btdt. OEM lasts a little bit longer but fails eventually.

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using Tapatalk 2

I would like to have a manual lock-up, but worried that it would interfere with gear changes. Here are some thoughts/questions on the matter, if anyone with inside info or otherwise would like to share/comment.

How do you avoid gear changes while manually locked? Or is that handled by internal gearbox logic and not a problem?
Also, is there a difference between 4-sp and 5-speed boxes, when it comes to controlling LU manually?

The clutch will not lock when the box is cold, not until the engine/gearbox is at operating temperature. Is this handled by the ECU or in the box itself? I suppose this logic is there only to shorten the warming-up-time, as an unlocked TC generates heat. And again: Any difference btw 4 & 5-sp re where this is controlled?

If the ECU decides to change gear while manually locked you get a very harsh gear change, not good for the box or TC clutch. Think the 5 speed is single wire for a dedicated lock up solenoid but it's a different ECU so different wire / connector.

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using Tapatalk 2

Back