Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

memory map for android

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
firstly let me please ask that you forgive any spelling mistakes or gramatical errors as this is my only night off this week and the bottle of gold vassa in the freezer has taken abit of a battering.

I recently upgraded my mobile phone from a Nokia N96 to a samsung galaxy S

first of all it is awesome

The only downside is that there is no software available from MM unlike the iphone to use their mapping
but...
If you look for MM Tracker on the anroid market and download it you will be very happy
I started with the free trial version and as promised I could view all my MM map on my phone.
Download the paid version and not only dos it sho the maps but also real-time GPS tracking and you can plan routes ahead. map them out using MM on your PC then just download the routes to your phone. no turn by turn but a constant gps position on your little blue line.
I have mapped out about 10 Total off road, road books, from the mag to my MM then to my phone.

I'm sure there must be a way I can share these route with you all. will look into sending them via email if anyone wants the, plus If any one has the time or inclination to scan and email me any other I would be happy to map them and add them to the list.

I'm about hal way through mapping LROI (BOOO)'s coast to coast and will be able to forward that in a couple of days.

If anyione need MM software and maps please PM me

that is a very very good find for an App chris well done.

Oh noooooo.. I now have no excuse for not getting a Android tablet... Dammit!

TonyP said:
Tony, is an Android tablet running MM the answer for us computer illiterates who want a simple touchscreen, compact carputer for routing/mapping without building a fancy custom job like you, Crispin, Jon and others have done?

I have the "moped-syndrome" about Apple products (someone might see you using one :oops: ) and my computer knowledge is exhausted beyond using the power button, so the Samsung or Motorola tablet thingies look quite interesting IF they do the job.

If the samsung tablet is any thing like as good as the galaxy S phone i have then it will definatly be going high up on my wish list.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andrew Prince said:
TonyP said:
Tony, is an Android tablet running MM the answer for us computer illiterates who want a simple touchscreen, compact carputer for routing/mapping without building a fancy custom job like you, Crispin, Jon and others have done?

I have the "moped-syndrome" about Apple products (someone might see you using one :oops: ) and my computer knowledge is exhausted beyond using the power button, so the Samsung or Motorola tablet thingies look quite interesting IF they do the job.

Hi Andrew, seemed to have missed this post.

If all you wanted to do was mapping when in the car, then I would say this is almost the perfect solution. The Android tables are small and light (similar in size ot the iPad's) so I think this would be perfect. Like you I have a almost pathological hate for fruiti products! The only issue I have with them is that they have limited memory, so you would need to load the maps you want for that particular trip. Not a big issue at all. Having said that, how big are the MM maps... more than 32Gb... doubt it.

If you wanted to replace your radio head unit, then I doubt this is the answer.... unless you can write Andriod apps....

The great thing about a tablet, is that once you are home, it can live on the coffee table to be used as a picture frame, or for the occational web browsing infront of the TV.....

This is on my radar for later in the year once the expense of my current European trip has setteled a bit :roll:

All MM maps are less that 20gig, unless you add France. But you only need to load the maps you want.

Paul

It works
Got the screen on my galaxy S up on the 7" display on my stereo, works seamlessly with MM Tracker and videos look good to. sound is superb.
I have all landranger maps on my phone for the uk on less than an 8Gb micro SD

Do the android tablets - like samsung tick these boxes:

1) internal GPS?
2) come with or can easily get a 12v power socket to run in car?

Was thinking of building a carputer and touchscreen, but a android tablet would be more convenient

what to avoid the fruit products too...

The simple answer to both your questions is Yes
Built in GPS
Charges via USB so pretty much any in car usb charger will do the trick with the supplied cable. Also there is a decent selection of in-car mounts for them available to.

thats good - i wonder how well the GPS works if the device is mounted lower down on dash, it might need to be mounted pretty high.
the sucker-screen mounts probably wouldn't be robust enough when offroading.
impressed by the RAM mount I borrowed off Gary with his screen - but would probably need an external GPS dongle to work with that

Cant say about the tab but I keep my phone in front ogf the dash clocks when using it with the screen in the car and it always picks up a pretty strong signal

I've got a Motorola Xoom 10" Android tablet that I use in my 80.

It's currently mounted with a dual sucker mount onto the windscreen. Not used it much offroad, but for general driving the mount is fine. Would consider a better Ram mount for laning etc.

The GPS reception is spot on with google maps, much better than on my iphone or blackberry. I get a fix no matter where the tablet is in the vehicle.

The Xoom doesn't charge from USB but you can get a cigarette socket vehicle charger for around £12. I haven't used it for any OS mapping because I don't have memory map but the MM tracker application makes it look like a good proposition.

Cheers

Back