Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

middle dif seized on

frank rabbets

Guru
Hi

I tried the middle dif lock by selecting low range and the orange light went solid. Now the dif lock will not release when the lever is moved into high. This is confirmed by a solid orange light and "stiff" cornering around the driveway. I've tried to release by jacking front and rear axles off the ground and driving gently back and forth but no joy. If I listen I can hear a relay clicking when I move lever from high to low so it's getting the message but may no be passing it on. Is this more likely than a stuck or defective locker? I doubt whether it's ever been in low range before. The ignition has been on for some hours over the last 24 hrs as I've been fitting a hands free kit. Perhaps I should have unlocked the dif first!?

Thanks
Frank 2004 24v 100 diesel

There is a small cover you can remove to get at the fork bolt on the actuator rod. Get under the car remove the cover and get someone to switch the diff off and see if you can hear the actuator working and if so with a small flat screw driver see if you can help it retract. You may need a wheel up and to be moved to help it on its way.

As you say the rear diffs hardly ever get used by the average person who buys a landcruiser so it may just need a little help to loosen it up and some lube.

Hi
Thanks for the help. You say "rear" dif was that a slip of the keyboard as I have posted about a middle dif problem.

Thanks
Frank

They are sometimes reluctant to release so it could be just lack of use has made things stiff. You can get at the actuator, on top of the transfer box but I wouldn't describe it as an easy job as it's tight for space and means unbolting the gearbox cross member so you can lower the box for better access. With the actuator unbolted you can turn the gear yourself but I'd try going backwards / forwards, jacking wheels etc a bit more before resorting to removing the actuator :( I take it you haven't got a seperate switch for the CDL on yours and it locks in L and not in H like an 80? (some seem to have a seperate switch which mine has and are not automatic).

Looks like it's well seized as all attempts at winding up the transmission and unwinding it have failed. Also tapping the relay.

How far is it safe to drop the 'box at the rear or will it rest on something other than the removed crossmember allowing one to remove the trolley jack?

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If it's like an 80 then it's the back of the engine that makes contact first, with the bulkhead and whatever runs along it at engine head height.

Have a look here, I have just completed this job and it was a pain, did the rear TC seal at the same time which is also a pain but slightly easier when the box is lowered

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7325

Thanks Rob
I had read this post briefly but thought it referred to an axle locker. I'd never heard of a mid locker problem before. Now I've got one.
My wife has threatened to cancel our three week holiday in France unless I fix the dif locker as the 100 will be in the garage at home and I'll be hell to live with. Not that we are even going in the 100!

Frank

Thanks to Jon for mending my seized middle dif. He came round with a spare actuator but within 7 seconds told me I had the centre dif lock button pressed in. I've only had the car for a short time and am still learning! Now I've got to put it all back together.

Frank

Shame I didn't think to bring my spare actuator down sooner!

Back