Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Milner CV shaft woes

diggerdave

I apologize for just having a whinge, but I think brand new CV joints should last more than 6 months!

I had my garage fit two complete CV shafts bought from Milners (as a precaution before a long trip and because both inner CV boots needed replacing on my Toyota originals)

2 months after fitting, the inner CV boot split on the drivers side :eek:

6 months and about 8,000 miles after fitting, the passenger side inner boot split and - upon investigation - the tripod bearing had fallen apart. The joint was still full of grease (so nothing to do with the split boot) but on two of the three tripod bearings the outer circlips had disintegrated, allowing the bearings to move so much that all the needle bearings had become dislodged and scattered among the grease leaving the bearings completely loose on their little stubs. The third one wasn't far behind. :rage:

Now, yes, I do have a 2" suspension lift. I expect to put more strain on the CV joints BUT the Toyota original lasted 19 years/175000 miles, the latter 30000 or so with a 2" lift. AND they were still serviceable when I had them replaced (in fact they were the source of my replacement inner CV!). The Milners unit managed 6 months/8000m... poor

Lessons learnt: Don't mess with original Toyota bits unless you need to. And don't fit cheap-sh*t parts where it matters. Also: yet another black mark in my book for Milners o_O

Back