Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mini Overland trip in the 100

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
As some know i picked up the 100 this week.
Last weekend i took my mother down to Netherlands to visit relatives and took the Navara but wanted to stretch the legs of the 100 to see what things are like with regards comfort, fuel, performance etc.
Checked the levels and pressures and set off on the 750 mile non stop round trip via the tunnel and all i can say is wow! Very comfy, performance is off the chart, fuel not too bad (apart from when the filling pump handle exploded on me in the services :x )
Is there no end to how good this truck is?

The only downside.......everytime the suspension adjusts i worry so it has to go. Just a hangover from my Land Rover days i suppose :whistle:

Are you replacing the airbags with conventional springs Paul .......

No airbags in a 100. This is no R0ver.
The AHC is reliable. Except for the (field servicable) heigth sensors which might ingest humidity, the AHC lasts longer than a conventional set-up. Where else do you get shocks that last 400 k km?

Anyhow Paul, congratulations with the 100.
Why do you worry when the ahc adjusts?

They will be getting replaced by normal suspension with a lift. The active system is something else that can go wrong and to be honest I don't find it that much of a bonus when weighing up the pros and cons. Don't find it any more comfortable really.
It might be reliable but I want it gone to simplify the vehicle a bit.

The other half has always driven citroëns with the same suspension system.

Just get yourself a decent repair manual and have a look at the height sensors.
Some contact cleaner, dielectric grease and a few spares and your good to go for a couple of round the world trips.

The 100 is far more refined than the 80, no reason to reverse engineer it??

The setting of the suspension at stops is just something you get use to.

I have no problem with the system design or reliability, i just dont see the point of it as it doesn't seem any more comfortable than a normal system, and as i want to put on a lift and bigger tyres it has to go.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't think Land Cruiser's with the AHS is one of Toyota's most reliable pieces of kit.
There is nemerous postings about the LC5 AHS which probably works around the same principle as the 100 AHS, and they both seem to be troublesome, in one way or another.

Sure most of them are fine, but it's the ones that decide to play games, "not going low, not raising" all the mischievous things, this is what gives the AHS a poor reputation.

I personally would prefer the ultimate reliability of coil springs.
OK, they can snap, rarley, and they eventually sag, but it;s progressive.
This is not the first time that owners have suggested that the replacement ride with the coil springs, is no different to the previous ride quality with the AHC.

I think I remember that various imported 100 series, do indeed have the coil springs, from out the factory.

Swap them Paul, and feel assured..

Graham

Back