Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mobile phone help needed

joinerman

Garage
Had the opportunity of a fairly new Samsung today so thought i would get it for OH to replace the ancient model she has, problem is the old one takes a large sim, the new one takes a micro sim, it's payg, if i take both phones into vodafone will they swap sims, will she loose her contacts, she wants to keep her number

If you stay with the same provider, they can swap your physical SIM for any size you like with no other changes. I think last time I swapped with Vodabone, I got a card with three different sized SIMS on it. Once I used one, it cancelled the others. PAYG shouldn't be any different AFAIK.

However, I wouldn't give a Samsung phone room in a skip if it was the end of the world.

The Sims can be cut down I think. However, as said, the store should either be able to cut it down or supply a replacement. You could have a search for ‘Sim cutter’ on EBay to at least see what types there are.

My new Samsung asked me if I would like to take number, calendar information etc from the old one directly at start up configuration!
You can also save send the contact via Bluetooth or saving them on the computer or sincronize them on Google account and I think you can save them on your Samsung account!

You can cut the SIM by yourself, you have just to pay attention to don't damage the chip
(Must by cutted very close) (I've done it)

A lot of option for you...

Not sure if the old large one cuts down to the micro does it? The small one does, but if we're talking old school SIM it might be physically bigger in terms of the board than a micro. Vodabone will sort it I am sure and it's free and done in the shop.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not sure if the old large one cuts down to the micro does it? The small one does, but if we're talking old school SIM it might be physically bigger in terms of the board than a micro. Vodabone will sort it I am sure and it's free and done in the shop.
Do it at the shop is definitely better.
The old one has a bigger chip respect the new one and that's the reason why I sed you have to cut it very close to the chip!
But I cutted my partner one and than also to her father!

The material used is very soft, so you can also use a file!

No need to cut anything, just go to the shop. It takes them all of 10 seconds to swap data if you’ve stored stuff on the old SIM.

Run into another prob now, The previous owners stuff was still on the phone so i did a factory reset, booted back up but the first thing that happens is google wants to sync the previous owners account details & i can't get past that stage.

Run into another prob now, The previous owners stuff was still on the phone so i did a factory reset, booted back up but the first thing that happens is google wants to sync the previous owners account details & i can't get past that stage.
Hi Joinerman
If you have done a full factory reset it will clear all accounts, But I think there is a soft reset which won't
To reset your phone to default factory settings:
  1. Press and hold the following button:
  2. Volume up + Power + Home.
  3. This will bring up a small menu.
  4. Using the volume keys navigate to "Wipe data/Factory reset"
  5. This option should restore your mobile to its default settings.
but you could try this first:
Removing then re-adding your Gmail account often fixes login and not receiving email issue.
  1. From a Home screen, tap Apps (located in the lower-right). ...
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Accounts.
  4. Tap Google.
  5. Tap the appropriate account.
  6. Tap Menu (located in the upper-right).
  7. Tap Remove account.
  8. Tap Remove account to confirm.
Then put your account in (your wifes) and that should do it

Hi Steve, the first part of your instructions is exactly what I've done, can't try the second part because i can't get past google wanting previous owners acc details

Hi Steve, the first part of your instructions is exactly what I've done, can't try the second part because i can't get past google wanting previous owners acc details
If you follow the list you don't get the option of any account just to delete any there
I have just tried it on mine and did not even ask for original account

When i turn the phone on now i get a message saying an unauthorized attempt has been made to reset to factory spec, it then says this device was reset, to continue sign in with a google acc that was previously synced to this phone

When i turn the phone on now i get a message saying an unauthorized attempt has been made to reset to factory spec, it then says this device was reset, to continue sign in with a google acc that was previously synced to this phone
I am very confused as recently had to do a factory reset and when it cam back on it had gone back to
factory settings and all it asked for was a account sign in with password.
Admitting I had backed it up before so after I had put the details in I just upload it.
So that is what make me think the reset did not work, might be worth doing again and I think there is a
clip on youtube just google it and I would try again

Been googling & you tubing & it turns out the phone was password protected, need a device to plug into it which i haven't got so will have to take it to a repairer.

Took it into a repair shop today, after an hour of trying they had to admit defeat & it's being sent off somewhere, !!!

Took it into a repair shop today, after an hour of trying they had to admit defeat & it's being sent off somewhere, !!!
Cannot remember where you said you got it from but sounds like it has been blocked due to being stolen

Deffo not stolen Steve, came from the guy in the workshop next to mine, i was there the day it was delivered & saw him open the package, that was around six months or so ago, he got it for one of his employees who he recently sacked.

Deffo not stolen Steve, came from the guy in the workshop next to mine, i was there the day it was delivered & saw him open the package, that was around six months or so ago, he got it for one of his employees who he recently sacked.
Did not mean it was stolen but it could have been reported as stolen and the it would be blocked (or some thing like that !

Back