Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Monday, not the best day ever.

Just costing up replacement airbags, new are shocking, not sure if I'd trust 2nd hand. Once they have gone off, no idea if other components have to be changed at the same time.

Can you just let the Insurance deal with it........ Just say to them Here 'ya' go sort that out for me please. Id like it back in 2 weeks

They've written it off as uneconomical repair, so I'm toying with buying it back and repairing myself. Chassis and lower crossmember look OK so just panel damage I think. But factoring in airbags, sensors and paint may make it too costly for me. Possibly buy another 100 and swap engines, or 1hd-fte and engine loom splice into my 80. Just looking at options.

Such a shame Trevor... Feel for 'ya'.... Yeh! buy it off them and make something of a bad situation i guess

Out of interest, how fast were you going Trev, that is some damage

Hard to say but guessing impact speed around 20 mph, road was fairly greasy as well.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oh man, glad you walked away from it. Tacky sorry about the truck, given all the effort that went in recently.

Crazy the amount of damage at such a slow speed. I get that these are crumple zones, but still

Really sorry to see this Trevor - glad you were able to walk away from this though. :thumbup:

As others have said, even Landcruisers are just only piles of metal, rubber and plastic and are possessions that can be replaced.

I bet the bonnet catch will be the hardest bit to fix should you buy it back , they are designed to crumple in a crash remember, so if the engine is sat solid and pretty a bonnet bumper and radiator and your half way there . Not sure what damage the airbags would cause though .

Hello Mate,
Sorry about the accident, too many nutters out there.
I have the front Bumper for the 100 with Fog lights. In case you want that I can take a sensible offer.

Any un-deployed airbag should be fine Trev so second hand from a suitable donor is the way I’d go. The Cursed Smart Car hit a pothole on the A27 in weeing rain and set the passenger seat air bag off. The airbag module needed resetting on the computer to clear the light and reset the system. I was very careful about connecting the replacement and made sure I kept out the way of it should it go off. The system checks them out when you start the car anyway so any issue is detected I believe.

I BELIEVE you'd bloody better
If you have had to remove the steering wheel while doing stuff things to your truck effectively you are replacing it with a second hand unit as long as the batteries are disconnected you should be ok I BELIEVE
Don't think the postman would like that sort of thing sent through the postal service

Caution dictates you disconnect the batteries turn the lights on and go for a cuppa before you start just to drain any residue power , but i'm reasonably confident the plug is not a trigger i've had my clockspring airbag out loads of times and swapped my seatbelts .

Wow that sucks @Trevor after all your work, I think it’s definitely worth fixing up if you can face the work again on the truck. Could end up being a cheap truck if you can get the parts for a decent price.

Bad start to the week. Glad you walked away. Shame about the truck, but I guess the front section worked the way it should have in an impact.

Very bad news, and bad luck.

A few years ago I skidded on ice into a lamp post - the front end isn't very strong !

You can rebuild it, we have the technology :thumbup: .

Glad you walked away.

Bob.

Bad start to the week. Glad you walked away. Shame about the truck, but I guess the front section worked the way it should have in an impact.

This is a point often overlooked, you do actually want the front to crumple up like this in an impact, it's what stops the huge energy transfer into the cabin, and ultimately your arse..

If in doubt, YouTube has the test between a Discovery1 and a newer Renault Espace to show it

Hi Trevor sorry to see that good you r ok how much you wot for the engine am I jumping the gun.

Back