Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What's that knocking noise?

Trevor

Country Flag
england
Had a knocking noise start and ABS light came on, nearside front lower shock mount decided to wander off.

Looks like a historical hairline fracture started to open up, missed by me and the MOT tester a couple of weeks ago.

Bit of grinding and welding and all back together again.

Good grief. Not see that before. Nice repair.

Oooyer! . That could have been nasty!... That'll have a few checking under their Trucks Tomorrow!........... Good repair job

That really is quite alarming -It seems to be metal fatigue caused by bending at the point of fracture.This is how hairline cracks start , in my experience , loads are concentrated at a single point or plane and eventually failure ocurres - try bending a piece of fencing wire until it breaks.The other possibility is a quality control issue and some Chinese cheesemetal has been used.Good repair but i would be keeping a very close eye on this .

Hi Trevor top job that was not good hope you r well

That's exactly the same as the 1995 hdj 80 front axle that I'm planning to fit to my 45 project.

The original truck had a broken front passenger side spring and I thought that it could be that what attributed to the cracked shock absorber mount.

Looks like a place to check on your own truck. I'll get a pic of mine and add to the thread..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Possibly the bottom bushes at some point had gone hard or were tightened too much. Something has transferred force to that mount.

Could it be after market, stiffer shocks that’s caused that maybe?

To me it looks like that mount has been subjected to repeated bending. Steel handles shock or impact loads fairly well and takes a good deal of work hardening before failure.As for harder shocks surely even the most extreme options have enough movement ? Same with an overtightened or perished bush ?

Last edited:
Depends to a degree if the bottom mount was able to get a bit of a run up G.O.B Might be that in the past the bush had gone and there was sufficient 'slack' to allow free movement. I suspect none of use will ever know the real cause here but 'd suggest it's pretty rare. Correct springs and dampers, correct bushes, correctly tightened and really there shouldn't be an issue.

If the shock is loose then they tend to elongate the hole in the mount.. Ben had this and had to weld washers on to locate the shock pin in the correct place.

Is there such a thing of a seized shock absorber? Because that would certainly make the mount flex.. or a broken spring that's been continuously used and resulting in fatigue because the shock absorber is doing part of the work of the spring?

broken springs can easily go unnoticed if your not looking for them..

Back