Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Montana vs Monterra

wobbly

Garage
Ive been directed towards a Garmin Montana for use on the Portugal trips I go on.

This particular system was recommended as you can run a mapping app called Topo Lusitania, which is a topographical map which has tracks marked on it.

The Monterra looks like its replacement, and works on Android.

What I'm trying to work out is whether Montana maps will run on the Monterra?

Anyone else already considered this?

At the moment I intend to use a Samsung Tablet with Maps with Me for road stuff, and record my actual routes on MyTracks.

As a 'paper' option I have the routes mapped using google earth then screenshotted, but obviously this isnt real time, but is better than the available 1:200,000 paper maps (its about 1:20,000 I reckon, any closer in pixellates too badly).

Cheers

Pete

I can't comment on the Monterra but can offer some advice on refurbished versus new garmin units.

Recently I decided to purchase a new Montana to replace my aging 276C. I bought it off UK eBay as new, unused etc and only when it arrived in it's non full retail packaging did I realise it was refurbished (verified by Garmin). Not only that, but it was dead on arrival. It turns out that cleverly hidden in the advert were the words "This product is newly overhauled (NOH) by Garmin with a Full 12 Months Warranty and in 'as brand new' condition". The replacement unit is also faulty (although working) and is also refurbished. Garmin support has been slooooow and have proved useless in getting it working properly.

Right now I'm trying to use the money back guarantee on ebay.

So, beware of Garmin refurbished units!!

Funnily enough, had exactly the same with a Garmin satnav via Halfrauds, it still had the previous persons home address waymarked!

Back