Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morocco in October, anyone fancy it?

well it still is soon July to sept, just need to have a job sorted for when i get back before i go as i wont have a single penny when i come back... no job, no mongolia :(

if i did go to Morocco it would be in place of Mongolia

Yeh bit of a private between me and Paul bat21.

He likes SAND I like MUD

Sand is only water taken out for the not so brave

Hi yall
I travelled Solo in Libya.
I'd love to go but I'm not working so, effectively, all my plans are on hold for the foreseeable. Even if I saved up I probably wouldn't be able to put enough aside for the trip unless a few of us got together and kept costs to a minimum, like no 'expensive' hotels or 'restaurant' quality food, and shared other costs, like going as a group, ferries and bush tuckering as we go.
Cheers
Renate

Hi Paul,

We just got back from Morocco last week, our 2nd trip there and it was even better than the first. Travelled solo for the first 10 days then hooked up with 24seven and his mate for 2 weeks ,then solo again for the last week.

I have to agree with the general consensus here that morocco is a great place , it's all about how you approach it mentally.

On our first trip we were very cautious of strangers /people being friendly and insulated ourselves from the local culture.

This trip we decided to change 2 things

Firstly, we would go to morocco with a purpose in mind for the expedition instead of just hacking round the various pistes,i got this idea from Tom Sheppards' "vehicle-dependant expedition guide" (which I would recomend and is back in print). So I thought to myself, what do I find interesting about morocco and decide that the geology of the country and it's trade in fossils was something to be investigated.
So for the first 10 days of the trip we visited the many fossil digging sites, did some digging , found some fossils and met some very interesting and friendly people. The really good thing was that we had a reason to go to a remote place and to use our equipment to get us there.

Secondly we decided that we needed to shift our attitude towards the locals, I realised that we missed out on a lot last trip because we were too wary of people. This time we flipped this around and as a consequence met some lovely friendly locals who welcomed us into their homes, were very hospitable with the little they had and expected nothing in return.

If you embrace the culture there is a lot more to morocco than hacking around pistes in the middle of nowhere(which is fun).

We will be returning to Morocco in October , 4 weeks seems the be a good amount of time to spend there.We generally drive to Alicante where we have a villa and stop there for a week or 2 as a final prep point then we are only 7 hours from algeceras.

If anyone is heading down and fancies a stop on the way , you are more than welcome.

Travelling solo or in a group ? Both have their pros and cons , so on our next trip in October we will endeavour to do both again.

So in answer to your question . Yes we would fancy it , just let us know the rough dates.

I should probably expand on the above thoughts in a new thread to share what we have learned, and will do in due course.

Tony and Karen

Funny how peoples views are so different, I like the The Pride of Bilbao and like having a few pints with the booze cruise people, I have met some interesting people on the rear deck over a pint. :mrgreen:

Some current prices for you.

I paid £480 return (over height) Pride of Bilbao
Ceuta - Algeciras was ~ 220 euro open return. (over height)

Diesel Spain 1.04 euro (~92p)
Diesel Morocco 7.2 Dh (~58p)
Diesel Western Sahara 5.2 Dh (~42p)

Bread loaf between 1-2 Dh (8-16p)
Campsite with hot shower ~ 40 Dh per person (£3.20)
Eating out, a main course ~ 35 Dh (£2.80) but a bottle of coke can cost the same.
A can of Beer 330ml can also cost 35 Dh, I bottle of wine can start from 120 Dh

Exchange rates at the time

I paid 88p per euro
I got 12.5 Dh for a pound this was the offical rate in Morocco. (8p a Dh)

24Seven said:
Funny how peoples views are so different, I like the The Pride of Bilbao and like having a few pints with the booze cruise people, I have met some interesting people on the rear deck over a pint. :mrgreen:
Tell me about it :D :D This Scottish chick was 'well oiled' and we couldn't get rid or her when we went in 2008.
295276286_XU2Fx-L.jpg

I think I am right in saying, the Pride of Bilbao makes it's final voyage some time in September this year, after which that service will be no longer available.

On another note, the new port of 'Tanger Med' is now open, see here for more info.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bat21 said:
24Seven said:
Tell me about it :D :D This Scottish chick was 'well oiled' and we couldn't get rid or her when we went in 2008.

You got lucky most of females I spoke to, never had their own teeth :mrgreen:

You're spot on The Pride of Bilbao finishes this September and as far as I know there is not a replacement service from any other operator, which is sad for me.

24Seven said:
You got lucky most of females I spoke to, never had their own teeth :mrgreen:
Ah yes... we had those in 2008 too, loads of very large, very p155ed and very loud old Welsh birds :lol:

24Seven said:
You're spot on The Pride of Bilbao finishes this September and as far as I know there is not a replacement service from any other operator, which is sad for me.
The Plymouth - Santander boat is going to start 'zig zagging'. The plan is Plymouth - Santander - Portsmouth - Santander - Plymouth etc etc....

Bat21 said:
The Plymouth - Santander boat is going to start 'zig zagging'. The plan is Plymouth - Santander - Portsmouth - Santander - Plymouth etc etc....

I think the Pont-Aven (Brttany Ferries) is doing that already, at the time of my booking that ferry was around £600 return, so £120 (ish) more, also the landing time in Spain IMO is not so convenient.

I'm planning on going to Morocco in August. From the 1st to the 17th.
If anyone spots an 80 on it's roof or up to it's wings in sand, give us a lift.

James Rothwell said:
I'm planning on going to Morocco in August. From the 1st to the 17th.
If anyone spots an 80 on it's roof or up to it's wings in sand, give us a lift.
:shock: Make sure your aircon is working ok :mrgreen:

Oh yes... Going to regass it with liquid nitrogen.
I've been to hot places before but not driven there. My parents live in Dubai so am used to it being hot but I think this will be something a little different!

We have a 300TDi Defender traveling with us on our Morocco trip in Aug/Sept, he has no aircon :shock:

Opening the windows, in an attempt to 'cool down', while on the piste can turn the inside of a vehicle into something that resembles the Arizona dust bowl within seconds :D

Still finding Morocco Dust in mine after 3 deep cleans.

Keepy windows shut tight.

NO AIR CON :roll: :o be very Betty Swolocks in there then Good luck

last year it got to 53c fhewwwwwwwww

Hello James

I see you made it here :mrgreen:

I would consider planning some (just in case) routes at height or near the ocean in case you find the heat in the low southern areas to much after a few days.

I really liked Anti Atlas MA3 and MO1 both would be at least 10c cooler (IMO) than the Zagora Area.

24Seven said:
Hello James

I see you made it here :mrgreen:

I would consider planning some (just in case) routes at height or near the ocean in case you find the heat in the low southern areas to much after a few days.

I really liked Anti Atlas MA3 and MO1 both would be at least 10c cooler (IMO) than the Zagora Area.

Thanks, I'm going to hopefully finish my planned route over the next few days and I'll make sure to include the ones you have suggested. I hope it isn't too humid!!

Back