Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morocco October 2015

http://www.lroac.com/morroco.htm

there is a bit of info above this section Vehicle equipment: about CB in Morocco

Yep - I just unwind the whip, demount the receiver unit and the mic etc at the border crossing into Morocco from Spain. I use an Albrecht multi zone but used UK Ch 10 AFAICR. Be similarly sensitive if you get down close to the Algerian border as plenty of military outposts about. Once in country nobody seems to bat an eyelid.......but beware of hiding police waiting for you to make a traffic infringement at junctions

CB's are technically illegal in Morocco but I haven't had any problems. Going into the country I take my aerial off and the mic and just refit it after leaving the port.

Last year I picked up a police man hitch hiking and forgot I had the cb on. He only asked what it was for and I explained it was for talking to friends he seemed on with it but initially thought I was on the police radio system

http://www.lroac.com/morroco.htm

there is a bit of info above this section Vehicle equipment: about CB in Morocco

I think we're all glad we're not in a defender and not going with that outfit [emoji3] when they start going on about kicking people off and not getting drunk it all a bit much imho.

I know you all well equipped with all the toys but some of the kit they recommend taking really isn't needed for Morocco. I can't believe they say road tyres are ok!

If you want to see what other recommend for Morocco have a look at Atlas Overlands site. (Hope Pete doesn't mind, I'll buy you a beer Pete[emoji3])

"CB radio considered essential for safety reasons but are illegal in Morocco so if fitted please make sure they can be taken out and hidden along with the aerials and cable when we cross the border into Morocco."

They are illegal in here as well unless you're a cab or a truck driver. By illegal I mean you can't use CB for hobby but can own one. I'll check this week with Moroccan embassy and inform you here what type of radio is legal. I hold an international hobby radio permit
( I needed it for Iran last year). Had to study bunch of things I did not even understood and take an exam .That made my dual band radio legal in Turkey and Iran. May be something similar here. Anyways I'll check and post here the results.

Last edited:
I think we'll be dragging at least 2 sat phones around as well so we should be well covered for emergency purposes which are not going to happen....

I have my Sat Fone too. Think my coverage is only Northern Europe, but I can alter that if needs be.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Eh what? In my fool hardy ways I've been travelling without a sat phone now we'll have loads

Tbh in pretty much all of Morocco we'll have good mobile coverage and 3g almost everywhere

Last edited:
Mark, worry not my friend. We all know you could do this trip in a Fiat Panda but we just gotta have gadge. You can't do a proper job without inexplicable quantities of tech. I'm even bringing my solar powered sun lamp.

Hide the antenna and the mike crossing borders never had a problem in 3 trips, to Mauritania and Guinea Bissau crossing Morroco.

I new going to Moroccan embassy is a waist of time ( I was passing by anyways). They did not even understand what was I talking and asking about. So, I'll go with the taking off the antena and hiding the mike option:whistle:

That approach will be fine, its not caused me any bother so far

. . . We all know you could do this trip in a Fiat Panda . . .
Ages ago I won a competition and the prize was a place on a tag a long tour in the Italian Alps. The tour was run by Alpine Rovers. The clue is Rovers. I was in the red 80. We came to one track and the call came over the radio for low ratio and centre diff locks to be put in. I had a quick look and thought high ratio unlocked and drive would be just fine. We got to the top and sure enough it was.

Imagine the scene a semi circle of 4x4s with winches, suspension lifts, big tyres etc parked up for lunch at the top of the track. We hear another vehicle coming and a Renault 4 appears. It just tickled me after being advised to use low and centre diff lock.

It just tickled me after being advised to use low and centre diff lock.
In a similar situation we met a Fiat 500, a very old one, on a mountain track in Croatia, this pic was on a relatively flat bit.

100_7380.JPG

Same thing happened in the Pyrenees but it was a Fiat Panda :)

They must think we're totally nuts ...

In Morocco it's likely to be a Dacia Duster if the locals can afford it, an old transit/sprinter van, citroen berlingo or a renault 4 etc. The locals only use a serious 4x4 if they are trying to get some tourist trade for desert trips.

Same thing happened in the Pyrenees but it was a Fiat Panda :)

They must think we're totally nuts ...

Similarly in the Pyrenees we were all stood around having a cuppa just off this rough track when a guy in a Renault ambles past.......we look at each other and say "why did we bother with £1000's of pounds of kit"........and then seconds later we hear a massive "ding" as the guy smacks his sump on a rock......ahhh, that is why we spent £1000's on a lift and bigger tyres.

Whilst the locals in Morocco use Transits and mini-buses to get about they also do get stuck regularly in the sand/fall apart at the side of the 'road'.

Will have a shovel, poep-stoel and Andrex and matches - I'm not scared ....

04 October Algerciras Spian 15:00 Lidl Carpark
This is where I'll meet you! CONFIRMED!:thumbup:

1)Does anybody has anything against making a film? My buddy Martin (my tripmate) is a journalist and has a bunch of filming equipment he's bringing along including quadracopter with a GoPro onboard for birdseye view etc. It is going to be a film just for our own use without intending any commercial purposes. Just for fun!:) He is good in short documentaries.
2) Is there any enter/exit fees for the vehicles in Morocco?

P.S. Just a few days left to the trip. Lets get ready!:lol:

Last edited:
Back