Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morocco October 2015

Day 18 - Monkey Hunting

After the various changes in the plans we found ourselves on the northern side of the High Atlas with a day spare. Overnight I worked up a route to takes us up through the Middle Atlas to Azrou and a search for wild Barbary Macaques.

Most of the day was tarmac so I didn't take many photos............

Leaving the campsite we headed north out of the mountains a had a steep descent down onto the fertile plains to the north. The steep descent gave us stunning panoramic views

(click of the picture and view in full size for the best effect)
24101724866_e814226864_c.jpgP1090594 Panorama 1 by Trackasylum, on Flickr

Once we got to the bottom we took the N8 north stopping in Kenifra for lunch, Pete had the restaurant staff and us in stictches with his best cow impressions trying to order lunch. Soon after here we turned of the main road a took some nice small back roads up into the ceder forests of the Middle Atlas.

Just as I thought we weren't going to find any Macaques we turned a corner to find a large troop in the middle of the road :)
23499621774_929f5d74fd_c.jpgP1090607 by Trackasylum, on Flickr

A little further on we came across another troop at the side of the main road into Azrou, there were clearly much tamer and were taking food out of peoples hands, one of the downsides to tourism and human exposure. Still my promise of monkeys was fulfilled and I think made Georges day :)

That night we stopped at the weird Euro Camping Emirates Tourist Center just outside Azrou. Over the day we'd established that Pete was on a different ferry to me and Byron so today would be our last day as a group :(

We were hitting Meknes about this time and it looked like Hurricane Asswipe had been through there. Devastated would be quite an appropriate description. We didn't get much ourselves, well nothing out of the ordinary, but the streets were awash, there was gravel everywhere, trees down, huge puddles. And lots of wet miserable looking folk. That evening, North of Meknes we came across a very pleasant little campsite in a grove where there were a couple of other 4x4's. Later that night the group we'd been shadowing pulled in in their Defenders and that brown Troopie.

Next morning it had dried out a bit and after a decent breakfast and headed North once again to see the Roman ruins at Volubilis. It was like being in the UK to be fair, slightly damp and grey which was a shame. We took our time initially thinking that we'd meander about a bit until it was time to get to the ferry. Which is exactly what we did. We had some nice stops and a particularly nice lunch watching the world go by. We got to Tanger and decided to top up the tanks. Well I have never been to a port with so few fuel stations. Even the sat nav was stunned at how few places to fill up there were (weren't). That cost us time. But we pulled into the port still in plenty of time. It was at this point that I couldn't find my ferry ticket. I had everything in a folder in the safe. But when I produced the paperwork the official just said nope, where's the ticket? We took the truck apart but as this had been in the safe all along it was hard to see where it might have gone. When I looked at Gary's documents, I have to say that I didn't recognise it all making us wonder if it had ever been in the pouch. I went to the ticket office to see the lady. She understood me and after a heck of a lot of searching, found me on the system. She printed something off for me.

So then Gary and I queued up for the ferry after the usual fond farewell and friendly exchanges with the Moroccan customs bastards sorry I mean officers. It started to pour. The barrier went up and we started to load. I was held back for a while as they pretty much took one bloke's car to bits on the ramp. Whilst waiting one of the loaders looked at my paperwork. He wasn't happy. Is not right. I know I said and explained in my best French that I had lost my ticket but Madam had printed me this. It seems that she really hadn't printed what I needed. By this time Gary was loading. I was on the dock on my own. By now I really had just about had enough of this ********* country. I kept calm with the loading guys, but tried to look mournful and apologetic. I just want to go home I said. In the end, after a considerable time, the just said it's OK you go now. Great. I started up the ramp only to be stopped by the Captain who'd just spent all that time interrogating the previous poor sap.. Where you been? he asked. Oh we've been touring I replied. Which bit you like best he asked? Uhm, I said, well there's so much to choose from - clutching at straws I said Zagora. He beamed at me and said Good good, have family in Zagora. I love your truck, is Landcruiser yes! Very good. Have good trip. And that was it. I was no longer in Morocco.

....That day we were four left. Me and Pete agreed to stay an extra day and visit Fes. After some coffe and fantastic freshly baked croisants Mark and Baron went towards Tanger. So the last two myself and Pete were up to Fes:) It felt strange not to have Land cruisers all over the place but we were happy to continue the journey at 1HZ speed ;) We found a campsite just outside Fes and pulled in.Set the bivouak and got in a taxi to town. We were for hours in the Medina.Got to the tanneries, sat in a nice restaurant and tried some moroccan food.
Next day we drove toward the Mediterranian sea with few stops here and there (Chefshaouen etc...)and stayed at a campsite in Tetouan.Next mornng after breakfast we headed towards Tanger Med...

THANK YOU MARK!:)

Last edited:
Day 19

The Last 4 - Euro Camping Azrou
23501023763_56c1690a06_c.jpgIMG_0349 by Trackasylum, on Flickr

After the courtesy baguettes were delivered fresh from the bakery, we headed into Azrou for breakfast of coffee and pastries. After a small navigation error we said our goodbyes to George and Pete and Byron and headed off towards Asilah for our last night in Africa.

Leaving Azrou we caught up a couple of French 95's and for a change a convoy of Landcruisers had more 95's than 80's :). Obviously their understanding of the speed limits was slightly different to ours and they soon left us behind.

Over lunch I proposed we stop at Moulay Bousselham to check out a campsite that has been recommended. I'd stayed at Asilah last year and whilst the old Medina was very nice, it was sterile of life a bit like a film set.

Moulay didn't disappoint, whilst the town was a little run down the campsite had a great location overlooking the Merga Zerga lagoon. The lagoon is a RAMSAR site and a haven for birdlife. Not long after arriving Byron had his customary G&T in hand and we settled back to enjoy the sunset.

The campsite
24065561771_fd17872f2d_c.jpgP1090617 by Trackasylum, on Flickr

The View
24122037196_01f66dc9c2_c.jpgP1090614 by Trackasylum, on Flickr

Wow!! That's a fabulous photo. Great trip report, enjoying every turn. [emoji4][emoji4]

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Day 20 & 21

We got off to an early start hoping to catch the 10am ferry from Tanger Med and allowing enough time to get through the exit procedure. Unfortunately despite the internet time table confirming the ferry times when we arrived the next ferry wasn't until 14:30 meaning we were several hours early.

Still we had some entertainment watching a tout kick off with security, the arrival of several 4x4s heading south. As we left Azrou yesterday we passed loads of Peugeot 205's on an annual rally and whilst at the port we saw a lot more arriving. Most set up as rally cars we must have seen over 50 of them!

Customs proceeded without drama but obviously due to security concerns globally were a bit more thorough than in 2014 with all vehicles being x-ray or inspected with sniffer dogs. Then it was time for lunch before the ferry left :)

Tanger Med Port
23780422319_6a451f959c_c.jpgIMG_0372 by Trackasylum, on Flickr

Byron hiding his contraband ;)
23852599000_19682c9d2b_c.jpgIMG_0371 by Trackasylum, on Flickr

Last View of Africa
23780397089_e971dc4844_c.jpgP1090631 Panorama 1 by Trackasylum, on Flickr

As with the way out the crossing was nice and smooth, lots of Dolphins in the straits. Spanish Customs was straight forward and we were soon on our way North through Spain. The delay on the ferry meant we had a longer day than planned and ended up at a truck stop south of Plasencia for the night.

The following day was a bit of an effort with the delays but we made the Bilboa ferry on time and settled into the journey home. Spent a bit of time chatting to a Land Rover owner about trips to Morocco and in general, I think he wanted to book onto a trip with me a one point. Then it was time for beer and bed :)

The next day was just a wait to into Portsmouth, Byron and I exchanged photos and reflected on the past few week whilst entertaining some of the other passengers with tales of our adventure. All too soon we parted ways and for the first time in 3 weeks there wasn't a Landcruiser in my rear view mirror :(

And that was the end of the inaugural forum Morocco Trip...........................................

Last edited:
Liking that last pic very much.

We found the Bilbao ferry just wasn't as nice as the Portsmouth trip out. They called it an 'economy crossing' and it was somewhat. Adequate but not quite as nice as the first crossing.

fantastic trip report guys - well done Mark for organising it all - never know, it will be me one day heading off with you all :)

If the convoy had been any longer we'd have had some difficulty convincing Le Plod that we weren't a rally! I doubt we'll see quite so much metal in one trip again. I think I am right in saying we were visible from space.

Back