Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morocco October 2016

Not over yet

Yesterday I left Taliouine and headed up for over the High Atlas following one of Chris Scotts routes. 3km from the end another blockage. Now a team could have patched up the track and got through but I did a detour round and then headed off into a new part of the Miuntains for me.

Seem to be getting good at finding tracks that haven't been used for years this time. Couple of tricky river river bed washouts all finishing with cracking views over Ouarazazate.

Today was a nip up the valley if the Kasbahs sadly now all tarmac for the tourists. Then out onto the Mountains just north of yesterday's drive. Had a couple of short showers but the water coming down the rivers was alarming in places

Again a track that hadn't been used for years. Crossed one river ok and had a lot of low range sections. Great for about 20km and the. A river there was no way across. Quick but if lateral thinking and a new hearing was plotted cross country to another track. Great I thought until about two hours later it was kicked by a bloody great reservoir

Left gurney my over the Atlas tonight so I'm hopeful my tortoise mountain route is ok

haha that last sentence is great, even I'm not sure what it means!

So bit of a catchup from the last few days.

Left Ouarazazate heading east, intially along the foothills of the High Atlas, nice gentle driving after the last couple of days. Had a bit of an issues navigating across a river, fortunately not much water after the rain the day before. Then I picked up the remainder of a route I abandoned the week before.

After a short connecting road section I was to take a route further into the mountains towards the dades gorge. Missed the junction and turned around at a view point over looking the valley. 2 Police 4x4s were parked up here with a table out for lunch and some obviously senior officers about to eat.

Got onto the planned piste and after about 1km found a few more police vehicles and some soldiers hanging around. They all waved cheerily as I passed, 1/2km further on were about 30 police and soldiers with riot shields. They stopped me passing as a 4x4 was coming the other way. Looks like about 10 shepherds with some banners and an OTT response!. The senior officer spoke to me for a bit, asked if my phone in a dash holder was a camera (second time this trip I've been asked about it).Luckily he didn't notice the GoPro on the roof rack.

The rest of the route was stunning, with loads of troglodyte houses along the valley. The last section was a short sharp hop over 2 ridges of mountains into the Dades Gorge about half way up. In the valley inbetween was a small town and a raging torrent of a river. The local kids had seen me on the way down and were waiting for me at the river. First part of the crossing was ok, fast flowing but only a few inches deep. The next section was deeper and much faster. A lorry driver on the other bank indicated it was a bit dodgy and one of the kids almost got swept of their feet crossing. Still I wasn't turning back now so in I went and was across ok.

Now I had 20 kids after money, sweets and pens for "helping me", I gave the one who did actually help a few dirham. They then decided to climb on the truck which prompted a very quick loss of temper from me. Never seen kids move so fast when I stopped and got out.

Passed an english group in the valley (possibly Waypoint Tours, 70 and a load of green ovals) and headed to a new camp site. Just as I approached there was a rock fall and a football sized bolder landed just in front of me and went under the truck. Bit alarming as a second or so later and it could have come through the windscreen!. Truck made some horrible noises after the boulder went under. Got to the campsite but as it was cold and windy decided on a room and full board.

gosh, bloody kids - I would have gone mental! I hope the boulder hasnt done any damage.

No damage I could find, re kids I've gone mental twice now but this year they seem worse than ever. on a positive no stone throwing.

After a well fed night in the hotel pondering rock falls, bad weather and wondering if the road would be passable in the morning, I headed off through Jebel Sahro south in search of better weather. Had a quick look at a route I haven't done yet but decided I didn't fancy the rest of the day rock crawling to took the easy option down to the desert.The rain if the last few nights has left a nice layer of snow on the high atlas (I may have to go and look).

Just before the tarmac I hit the worst scam from the kids yet, a lad of about 10 laying in the track as if he'd fallen of his bike and a load of mates riding away. After rolling around pretending to be hurt he had a miraculous recovery and wanted some money. I may have called him a lier at this point.

I knew Yorkshire 4x4 were heading towards Erfoud and I was keen to catch up with Russ and pick his brains about the route they took down through the empty quarter. I headed to Erfoud but unfortunately missed Russ and his group.

Yesterday the plan was to explore the area around Erg Chebbi and Rissani, a beautiful mix of balck rock and gold sahara sand. I was headed south towards the lost city @GeorgeG @IsleofMan and I vistied last year then swing east back to Merzouga for a night overlooking the Erg.

Without really realising it I hit the top end of Oued Rheris, famed for its feche feche and dunes. A momentary loss of concentration and I was stuck. After buggering about for almost a hour we were off and moving again, but not any further through the dunes. Rest of the day was spent picking up tracks at random and just seeing where they went. Fantastic!

Stopped an Ksar Sania for the night, which I have now decided is the best camp site ever, hot showes and cold beers for £3 per night!

Todays just been chilling around camp sorting a few things on the truck. Its been very windy but warm much needed after the mountains

So after Merzouga I was heading east to the Rekkam Plateau an a camp at Boudnib.

I've taken the piste from Erfoud to Boudnib once before and it's hellish, tried to lay a route that missed most of it but that wasn't much better.

The night before a huge storm hit Merzouga, rain thunder sand. All day heading towards Boudnib I could see storms on the horizon. Got some great photos but didn't think much of it.

Just as I approached Boudnib another storm hit. Before getting into town there's a river to cross, not for me it was a raging torrent of thick brown water. Quick 30 km detour and I was on the other side at the camp.

Rekkam Boudnib camp is great. Hot showers alcohol and amazing food. Eating is communal so every ones digs in. Easy to rack up a decent bill at the bar though

Yesterday was a circuit around the campsite looking at the storm damage. 10 minutes before I got to the river it was dry. A lot of rivers were flooded along with a lot of washout on the route. Also took the time to visit Ksar Morhell, an old French Fort and mining camp.

Got back to camp to find the Red Camel had arrived. Another great evening comparing tales over good food and beer

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Forgot to mention had my first ride in an 80. At night driven by a French lunatic to see a flooded river in the dark

So who are the UK 70 and 80 getting repiar d in Zagora at the moment???

Left Boudnib a few days ago with Red Camel heading north. Me for Midelt and them for Fes. Parted ways after a while but then met up again at a lunch stop.

Stayed in Midelt for a night and after seeing the snow but despite the temperature decided to head into the High Atlas again and Imichil.

Started by picking up the end of a route we tried in 2013 and still remains one of the tough west routes I've done. This years plan was to start on the Cirque de Jaffar, bypass the really hard bit and then end up in Midelt for the night. All going well until I hit conscruction on the Cirque. 2 hour detour got me 0.5km down the road but took me through the Jaws of Jaffar a short incredibly narrow bolder strewn canyon. By far the most technical section this year.

On the was I passed through Tattouine. Had a quick look for Uncle Owen and Luke but there were no where to be seen.

Back to the days drive; 2013 took us 4 hours to cover about the same amount of Km the.m we followed a road on the edge of a river. Well this year the road was as bad as the bad section. Got through ok and off back onto tarmac for the run into Imichil. Far to cold to camp -2 and icy.

@GeorgeG, @ByronJ remember that great track down from OK Imichil when we met the English unimog at the end? Well the next day was turning right at that junction not left like we did. Weirdly me another English couple at the same junction this year.

But boy did we miss out on a stunning piste. Right up above the snow line with nice villages in the valleys. Nice looking camp site about half way for future reference as well but not many wildcamping spots.

Today I'm in Marrakech slightly bemused by all the traffic and people after the last month. Police everywhere but there's a big football match and formula e are racing this afternoon in town.

Tomorrow is another High Atlas route and probably my last day off road this year. Still not bad off road everyday for a month except 3 rest/repair days

Pics to come. I'm having real trouble with internet and errors when I try to upload anything

@GeorgeG, @ByronJ remember that great track down from OK Imichil when we met the English unimog at the end? Well the next day was turning right at that junction not left like we did. Weirdly me another English couple at the same junction this year.

Hi Mark. I do indeed remember that amazing track, what an absolutely brilliant drive it was. And we started it just after I had boiled my brakes... Are you talking of the junction just before we drove over that rickety wooden bridge with missing planks?

Wish I could have joined you this year but I only got back from Greece a week ago. Just been reading your thread and it sounds like you have had a great time :thumbup:. Way to go Mark.

Yep that's the place Byron. They still haven't finished the new bridge so the wooden one is still there.

Been really nice this year not have time constraints. Makes things much more flexible. Not enjoying the drop in temperature though. Still warmer than home and the sun is out

Last day I. The mountains turned out to be rather pleasant for the last off road section

Had a day in Essaouira yesterday enjoying warm weather again. It not exactly been cold during the days but it is 10 degrees lower than when I arrived so I'm feeling it.

Popped up the coast to El Jadida to the campsite we me Garfieldus in last year on the slow trek north. Tomorrow's a motorway day upto the campsite Byron and I stopped at last year on the way home. Then across to Chefchoen for a day before getting back into Spain on Saturday afternoon.

Diff is still a concern. Some days I lose 100ml of oil others nothing and there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. Sunday was 350km and the leak looked worse than ever but the level had barely dropped. Haven't been above 50 yet so motorway speeds will be interesting. I could drop the prop and run in 2wd but I'm not sure if it would change the leak at all.

Currently in Chefchoen. Had at night at Moulay Bousselhem Last night and met the Overland truck again. They're owned by a load of Austrians. Also a German couple in a Unimog. Had a great night getting drunk with them all.

Diff didn't lose any oil really on the motorway but sounds bad. Still only 100km to the port now.

Bad news about the diff.

Strange that it's noisy when you've kept it topped up, leak or no leak...:?

Good luck on the home run Mark, fingers crossed.

Only had it rebuilt 12000miles ago.

Started with a bit of noise and noticed some movement in it. Mechanics had a look in Zagora and fixed the movement and the noise went for a bit. But now the pinion seal is leaking and the noise is back. I'm hoping it's just a bearing and not wear on the pinion or crown.

Main thing is to get into Spain. From there I have AA recovery if needed but I think it'll get me back to the UK.

TBH I'd be staying another couple of weeks if it wasn't for the diff and a couple of other issues.

Started think about next year already. Big rally here in April with the Dakar racers so I might come out then to watch for a day or so

Here's to a safe and uneventful trip home Mark........Then hopefully a pictorial trip report if we're lucky :pray:
Thanks for keeping us posted along the way :thumbup:

Sat on the ferry back to Spain watching the sunset

Had a nice day in Chefchoen yesterday and then when I got back to the campsite the Austrians had arrived. Much alcohol was drunk.

Also saw the Germans in a Unimog at the port. They're on a different ferry so I'm not sure ours paths will cross again.

Now 2 days to get across Spain

Back