Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

MoT time again

Nick Shepherd

Going for the check-up in the morning. Last year I had two advisories -

*Headlights (I've since washed all the mud out of one and replaced the other :D )

*Handbrake - my bugbear that this is a fail on an automatic but I've had all the wheels off to check the pads on main brakes and done a good bit of cleaning and adjusting to the handbrake so it has some discernible affect on forward motion when applied.

My only concern now is a whopper of a windscreen chip that is 'just' out of the wiper arc, how close is a fail?

Also, two of the trunnion studs were loose on the left, is this a sign that they will never again be secure?

Nick Shepherd said:
My only concern now is a whopper of a windscreen chip that is 'just' out of the wiper arc, how close is a fail?
Tip from an MOT tester, move the wipers round on the spindle so the chip is not within the swept area, then it's not a fail :thumbup: I was told it doesn't matter if the wipers hit the window edges.

Also, two of the trunnion studs were loose on the left, is this a sign that they will never again be secure?

Probably....why not take off, clean and replace with some threadlok?

Handy tip Chas, I was unsure if it has to be a certain distance outside but it should pass as is.

I was wiping oil off when I noticed so an axle strip is on the cards, not today though ;)

Cossack said:
Nick Shepherd said:
Tip from an MOT tester, move the wipers round on the spindle so the chip is not within the swept area, then it's not a fail :thumbup: I was told it doesn't matter if the wipers hit the window edges.

Or fit shorter wiper blades for the MOT (I keep an old set that don't quite reach the sun strip)

Good idea,

so fit a shorter set of wipers if you have a chip just inside the normal "wiped area"
So the replacement temporary wipers will not wipe the chip area, so now there is no fail/

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nick Shepherd said:
They won't be secure till you clean the threads thoroughly and threadlock them in place. Cleaning the threads with the housing still on the truck is a bit difficult because the holes are not blind so grease runs down them from inside the housing.

The front hubs and axle rebuild is in the plan for summer, I'll make sure I chase all the oily grease out of the threads on both sides and give them a dose of Loctite.

Keep a very close eye on those studs till then ;)

After degreasing and loctite wind them in with a pair of locknuts on the exposed thread.

Frank

If you get replacement studs they should have a splined end so you can wind them in using the correct socket, can't remember the size off the top of my head.

I also had a passtoday, with one advisory..............................no rear seats fitted!!!!!!!!

That hasnt been mentioned on previous mots's, me thinks he just wanted to put something in the box!!!

Andy

No seats? How on earth is that an advisory? Surely, if it's an issue at all then it's a fail to not have any in :lol:

Well done though :clap:

Thanks Karl ;)

I think it's an advisory to note that the rear seats and belts haven't been tested, so that if they are subsequently refitted the lack of testing is noted somewhere.

Back