Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Slow Wipers

Bodie

Country Flag
great_britain
As with the common problem of slow windows on my 80, which the fix I've always assumed is hardening rubbers!
I also, now have painfully slow wipers, probably because the truck, sadly stands idle more than it's used.
So wondering if anyone knows if there's a common problem on the 80, as visibility in the rain is not good.... a sloth could wipe faster!
Or even whether the two are possibly linked by the same electrical fault?

Hello mate.

I had exactly this problem for a lonnnnng time.
I thought it was the bushes in the wiper trunnions - so liberally lubricated with Wurth HS2000.... didnt really help...
Finally bit the bullet on buying the full wiper linkage and fitted that at great annoyance and expense.... wasnt that either :-(

Eventually i opened up the motor armature cover and found one of the permanent magnets had detached!!

Thoroughly degreased the motor dome covering the armature, gave it a scrub with some decent emery and then re-bonded the permanent magnet segment back on, carefully ensuring it was equally spaced and at the same level as the other one -- using some very high strength polish made superglue gel (ill dig out the brand name shortly).

Liberal coat of fresh grease in the bearing and the worm and wheel - then tested it.
It literally was like new and and super fast responding.

Hello mate.

I had Thoroughly degreased the motor dome covering the armature, gave it a scrub with some decent emery and then re-bonded the permanent magnet segment back on, carefully ensuring it was equally spaced and at the same level as the other one -- using some very high strength polish made superglue gel (ill dig out the brand name shortly).

Liberal coat of fresh grease in the bearing and the worm and wheel - then tested it.
It literally was like new and and super fast responding.

@Ciderman if I'm honest, not what I was expecting, but thankyou.
So, is opening up the motor armature an easy job? Cheers

Actually, its pretty easy, but the motor needs to come off the ball end of the wiper linkage and there's 3 or 4 M6 bolts holding the motor unit to the body - plus the multi pin plug to disconnect.
The ball end of the linkage pops off quire easy with a wide screw driver to gently prise it off - getting it back on will require some gentle nipping together to get the ball back in the socket with some long nose pliers and patience.

Once off the truck, the motor cover is secured by 2 or 3 cross head screws, a bit of gentle easing to prise it open and it will slide off the motor.
There's a bronze spigot bearing in the end of the dome which supports the shaft.

The brushes for the motor wont need touching but have a look at those also in case one or both brushes are worn down to nothing (could also cause poor connection and slow operation).
Check the armature copper segments in case they're badly worn away or burned.

If its what i had, the magnet will be stuck to the armature - and they're strong ferrite magnets, so be gentle with them or they'll break (don't drop it).
The magnets should be opposed and set at the same depth in the cover, bonded with some sort of resin from the factory.
Mine had just let go and one magnet was stuck to the armature, causing poor operation and also friction.

I wish i had some photos now, but its honestly very straight forward once the motors off the truck.

Ill check my old phone to see if i took any pics back then.

Couldnt believe the difference it made once it was back in.

Also worth making sure the linkage to wiper trunnions are not all rusted up as its steel shafts and aluminium housings - can get furred up without lubrication.

Heres a fairly scruffy video off youtube -

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
And another link that shows the motor in bits... from another forum -

Thanks @Ciderman for the detailed explanation and the links, much appreciated.

I'll certainly be taking your advice, to try and strip it down, although I'm going to wait for a bit of better weather first, as I won't be using it until May at the Thetford meet. But thanks again, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks @Ciderman for the detailed explanation and the links, much appreciated.

I'll certainly be taking your advice, to try and strip it down, although I'm going to wait for a bit of better weather first, as I won't be using it until May at the Thetford meet. But thanks again, much appreciated.
Definitely worth doing on a dry day!.... its a bit of a fiddle if you haven't got it under cover and need it in a hurry.
But do also check the trunnions at each wiper arm for any signs of major corrosion and seizure.
A good way to identify this is to put the wipers on with a spray of water on the screen for lubrication, then look closely at the motor assembly bolted to the bulkhead while its operating.
If its moving and flexing a lot, this indicates there's stiffness in the linkage mechanism - and the soft resilient mounts of the motor will be flexing heavily.
Also, while that's happening, you can check the motor for excessive noise - indicating a detached magnet inside.

I wont be about until around 20th of April, but if you aren't comfortable with stripping the motor yourself, id be happy to do it for you if you want to remove it from the truck and DPD it to me. Let me know in a PM.

Very kind of you @Ciderman , much appreciated ...... but I'm a strong believer in learning to do things for yourself and hopefully with your comprehensive detail above, I should be flying. Thanks again, enjoy your break. Cheers.

Same problem with my wiper motor. Took it off the bulkhead, (4 bolts) then removed the end can of the motor (2 cross head screws), withdrew the armature and found that a magnet had come adrift from the motor can. Cleaned everything up (with lighterfluid/panel wipe/electrical cleaner) glued the magnet back into the can with industrial super glue and reassembled. Very easy job to do. Also too off the electrical rotary switch assy and cleaned up the contacts and re lubed the gear. Linkage is stiff and the passenger trunnion (where the wiper shaft is fitted through the scuttle) has worn oval causing more resistance so need to replace that next. I need new washer jets front and rear, any suggestions on supply please? Ta.

Same problem with my wiper motor. Took it off the bulkhead, (4 bolts) then removed the end can of the motor (2 cross head screws), withdrew the armature and found that a magnet had come adrift from the motor can. Cleaned everything up (with lighterfluid/panel wipe/electrical cleaner) glued the magnet back into the can with industrial super glue and reassembled. Very easy job to do. Also too off the electrical rotary switch assy and cleaned up the contacts and re lubed the gear. Linkage is stiff and the passenger trunnion (where the wiper shaft is fitted through the scuttle) has worn oval causing more resistance so need to replace that next. I need new washer jets front and rear, any suggestions on supply please? Ta.
Off topic swerve here - apologies...
Links for front and rear washer nozzles (genuine) -
Rear -

Front -

Hope thats useful

Back